Stove help needed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Is there really much oak and hickory in the Montana mountains?

Is there really much oak and hickory in the Montana mountains?
Correct me if wrong, but there’s not a lot of hardwood let alone those species in our region (ID MT UT NV etc) so I suspect based on the op comment of those species, kiln dried and CT surgeon etc they’re purchasing from a supplier whose out sourcing.

Hence (transport of wood) the warning about kiln dried (bugs) and kiln dried (dry).

Correct me if wrong, but there’s not a lot of hardwood let alone those species in our region (ID MT UT NV etc) so I suspect based on the op comment of those species, kiln dried and CT surgeon etc they’re purchasing from a supplier whose out sourcing.
Absolutely correct, can be as much as $600 a cord delivered , at times more.

Reactions: MMH
Absolutely correct, can be as much as $600 a cord delivered , at times more.
A bit of Pine to start and bio bricks might be my choice if I wanted max burn time. Just need them stored inside. Pallet delivery. No stacking (if you had the space), never having to think about how dry the wood actually was. Simple instructions. Add X bricks to bottom of stove a big bundle of kindling and a fire starter on top. Adjust air to keep temps at xxx. Reload with Y number of bricks.

A bit of Pine to start and bio bricks might be my choice if I wanted max burn time. Just need them stored inside. Pallet delivery. No stacking (if you had the space), never having to think about how dry the wood actually was. Simple instructions. Add X bricks to bottom of stove a big bundle of kindling and a fire starter on top. Adjust air to keep temps at xxx. Reload with Y number of bricks.

Best suggestion here imo.

Reactions: Highbeam
If firewood is that expensive there, the prices on the bricks might be jacked up too...I think here you can still buy a "1 cord equivalent" pallet of bricks for ~$200...

Is the cast over steel a big deal, or just a marketing ploy by Pacific energy, in other words do the physics correlate with what they claim, both radiant and convection heat from the unit.
The cast iron over steel acts as an absorbent buffer. In our house, the difference between heating with the all cast iron and radiant Jotul F400 and the cast iron jacketed T6 was immediately noticeable. We no longer get wide room temp swings. The stove heats very evenly, more like soapstone. My friend has the Summit Classic with the porcelain jacket and they get a bit more temp swing than we do, but their stove seems to heat the area up faster so there is that. However, we are heating a larger area with the T6 so that is just subjective observation.

The cast iron over steel acts as an absorbent buffer. In our house, the difference between heating with the all cast iron and radiant Jotul F400 and the cast iron jacketed T6 was immediately noticeable. We no longer get wide room temp swings. The stove heats very evenly, more like soapstone. My friend has the Summit Classic with the porcelain jacket and they get a bit more temp swing than we do, but their stove seems to heat the area up faster so there is that. However, we are heating a larger area with the T6 so that is just subjective observation.
Are you satisfied with the T6, and what are real burn times in 0 to 15 degree temps, with perfect hardwood, oak, locust, hickory, which is all I basically have for frigid weather.

Burn time is totally relative to outside factors, same with any stove. Burn times will vary with the outside temps, house insulation, house size, ceiling height, house glazing, wood species, and the operator. This is the same for any stove.

We have an old farmhouse with too many large windows and so so insulation. Our burn times vary between 10-12 hr cycles to 8 hrs in cold weather. We have never seen 0 to 15º temps here. This is burning softwood, mostly doug fir.

Burn time is totally relative to outside factors, same with any stove. Burn times will vary with the outside temps, house insulation, house size, ceiling height, house glazing, wood species, and the operator. This is the same for any stove.

We have an old farmhouse with too many large windows and so so insulation. Our burn times vary between 10-12 hr cycles to 8 hrs in cold weather. We have never seen 0 to 15º temps here. This is burning softwood, mostly doug fir.
THX, it's a tough question burning a BK, cat for 8 years now spoils one, for my daughters Montana home i'm sure they'll be okay, it's not like they live there permanently. We've had -14 2 weeks ago , not wind chill actual temp and burning locust with 9 foot ceilings and huge Pella windows the house never dropped below 73 degrees, and that's 12 hours no reload and could have gone 18 hours in those temps easily, but the BK is a different beast altogether. We've settled for the most part on the T6 Anderlea. Stove shop in Kalispell we're checking with. In 0 weather I can crank this thing and hit 80 real quick , and more osage orange and locust is a bear.

Reactions: EbS-P