Stove Manufacturer Specs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've been looking at the Osburn Inspire 2000 manufacturer's specs from their brochures and downloads. I see the brochure spec quoted as "Maximum Output" = 75,000 BTUs/hour, and the download spec "Overall Heat Output Rate (min. to max.)" = 14,800 BTU/h to 28,600 BTU/h. There is a very large difference between 75,000 and 28,600. What is the real world difference between the two published values? Is the 75,000 value of the brochure simply bogus? Overall, I'm not seeing a strong correlation between different manufacturers' claimed BTU outputs and their firebox cubic inch values. Should I just ignore the published BTU specs and buy a stove using the firebox cubic inch values instead?

Maximum output is mostly marketing, bragging rights. The tested output rate is with a fixed and measured load of wood for EPA testings, usually with softwood. Real world results will be somewhere in between depending on the quality of the fuel burned and the operator.

Before considering this stove figure out how it is going to be vented. When in doubt, contact Osburn support.

I finally found a chimney sweep guy able to do stove installs who is about 45 miles from my place in WV. The main concern was whether my chimney flue was large enough. While only time will tell (in my case), I have reasonable hope that it might since the chimney originally serviced two coal burning fireplaces on opposite sides of the wall. If all else fails I will just have to run a double-walled pipe up through the ceiling, attic, and out the roof. I am now looking at a larger stove in the 3 cubic feet range and expect that if my chimney flue has the needed cross sectional area, to have to do the chimney thimble thing above the fireplace for venting. Unless I can find a very low, large firebox, rear-vented stove (not likely).

You do not need a 3 cu ft stove for such a small place, especially once you start insulating and sealing leaks and leaky windows. Tapping in above the fireplace opening is definitely an option if done correctly with a proper thimble that maintain proper distances from combustibles. But that should tap into a stainless liner in the chimney.

Woodstock makes some rear-vented stoves that might work without this hassle, but that is TBD until we have the lintel height. Regardless, the stove should still have a 6" stainless liner.