Stove only working at low speed/low fan -- US Stove 6039HF

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

northernnjnewbie

Oct 8, 2008
Northern NJ
It just started doing this -- of course. The next two-three nights will be single digits, and we can't get a tech out here for a FEW DAYS.

The stove will only work at low speed/low fan, no matter what you turn it up to. On the higher levels. all it does it whine really bad. We are getting a bit freaked out, because we currently have no other heat source, and the house is already quite cold.

Neither of us have electrical experience -- is this an easy fix or are we uop teh creek?

It's a US Stove 6039HF.

Thanks.

Well, I have to ask the usual questions:

How long have you had the stove? (did you buy it new or used?)

When was the last FULL cleaning (vacuum everything and take out both blowers and clean them)

Does either blower have the lubrication holes ?(my stove only has it on the room air blower)

Do you have the owners manual? If so, does it have a trouble shooting section?

BTW, next time include the make & model of your stove in the title of the thread....you'll get more people looking who know something about your stove.

The manual doesn't address it, and US Stove is closed.

Bought new in November 2008. The blowers have never been taken out and cleaned -- the manual says to do that only at the end of the season. The usual stove cleaning was done Saturday (routine cleaning).

macman said:
Well, I have to ask the usual questions:

How long have you had the stove? (did you buy it new or used?)

When was the last FULL cleaning (vacuum everything and take out both blowers and clean them)

Does either blower have the lubrication holes ?(my stove only has it on the room air blower)

Do you have the owners manual? If so, does it have a trouble shooting section?

BTW, next time include the make & model of your stove in the title of the thread....you'll get more people looking who know something about your stove.

woodsman23 said:
Try shutting down the stove and unplug for 2 minutes then plug it back in and see if resets the board.

I was thinkiing about doing that, but was afraid it wouldn't come back on!

Shut it down via teh shut down cycle, or "force quit" it?

While the stove is down and cooled off alittle. Lube the room air blower. Can of WD-40 will last a little bit. But 3 in 1 oil is better!

Also check the blower fins for dust on them.

I had to do this to my bigE. Got the motor going until I had it replaced.

Hope it helps a little.

jay

Attachments

• blower lube.jpg
    blower lube.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 169
northernnjnewbie said:
...... The blowers have never been taken out and cleaned -- the manual says to do that only at the end of the season. The usual stove cleaning was done Saturday (routine cleaning).......

DON'T go by the "once a season" cleaning advice in the manuals....the stove should be COMPLETELY cleaned after every TON of pellets. Completely open all cleaning ports, ash traps, etc, and remove panels/"brick" if possible, remove all blowers, etc, etc, and clean....especially the combustion blower...it gets ash built-up on the fins and blower body under the fins...scrape with a thin putty knife. Be careful when removing the combustion blower....try to NOT tear the gasket.
Vacuum, scrape, vacuum some more, etc....80% of stove problems are a result of a DIRTY STOVE. Lubricate motor as shown above with 3 in 1 oil, or straight 10w oil.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.