Stove pipe for progress hybrid install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2012
Idaho Mtns.
Hi everyone! Great website,except very addicting-at least my wife thinks so.I have made the decision to order a new Progress Hybrid,largely based on comments on this site and after talking to Woodstock--seems like they are great folks and very helpful.I will be putting the stove in a house I am building in the mtns. of Idaho--approx.4800' elev.I am trying to decide between single wall and double wall black pipe from stove to 9' flat ceiling.The stove will be hooked to outside air for combustion(when Woodstock makes the kit available) All exterior walls of the house are ICF (insulated concrete form) so it will be very tight-hence the outside air requirement.What I am wondering is since I will only have about 6' of black pipe from stove to ceiling,then approx.12' on HT S/S chimmney through attic and roof,Is there any reason to use dbl wall black?The house has no plumbing or electrical yet and I am more excited about the new wood stove!!!

For only a 6' run, I'd say it's a matter of personal preference. I doubt that there would be a significant difference in any aspect of the system performance either way. I think if it were me I'd go with single-wall from the appliance up to the ceiling support box, mostly just because it's less expensive. Rick

OOPS!...oh yeah, welcome to the Hearth.com forums!

Thanks Rick.Bend is a beautiful area,I've been there many times.My house is in Idaho City,36 miles from Boise.Think I'll go with the single wall,maybe get some extra radiant heat for free!

Status
Not open for further replies.