Stove Recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LMPS

Feeling the Heat
Dec 12, 2010
Coastal, Maine
Ok I realize I am breaking the law by coming over to the wood side from the pellet side but I will ask for forgiveness upfront as I am just trying to help out my sister and brother-in law with a stove choice.

They live in Maine, first floor is garage and storage below grade, second floor is living area. Living space is about 900 square feet. They have a fireplace but would like to put in a wood stove. This would be located in the living room which is open to the kitchen. The second floor has three bedrooms and is about 700 square feet

Their plan is to set the stove in the fireplace and really they have no other choice the way the house is set up.

They are looking at a Regency model F1100. Any feedback on this stove or any other stoves you think they should consider would be appreciated.

I will now return to the pellet mill.......

Don't worry about it! Most pellet burners turn to wood eventually.;) Is there any reason that they don't want to put a fireplace insert in? They would have more choices. Regency makes great products, they should be happy with any of there products.

I'm confused by the house description. Is it 2 stories above grade with 900 sq ft on the main floor and 700 on the upper with the bedrooms? Also, do they want the stove for 24/7 heat or more for weekends and power outage backup?

@LMPS, I'm one of the recent converts from pellets to wood. We all eventually get there. Took me 16 years, but I have arrived.

Too funny but I think its going to be awhile before I am convert......at least to wood that is.

Yes, its two stories above grade and your description is correct on the lay out. The are below grade is unfinished half basement half garage.

I do not think they want and insert because of the blowers? Not sure that is what they told me. My brother-in-law is hard of hearing and also the TV is hung off the first place so I guess they are concerned with the blower noise.

I am sure they want to heat as much as possible with it and as much of the house of possible.

And I think I said they are looking for one that will fit inside the fireplace.

Any other stove anyone would suggest looking at besides the Regency?

We'll need some fireplace dimensions first. Offhand I would go for a larger stove to heat 1600 sq ft. in ME. But which stove will depend on what fits. In a fireplace I would plan on a damper sealing block off plate and a blower for colder weather. A good blower is not going to be noisy unless run on high speed. Our PE blower is pretty quiet at medium and low speed.

Is the stove area open to the staircase going upstairs?

I think we might need some measurements on the fireplace.

the fireplace is face is 31 inches tall and 42 wide. Depth is 20.5 not counting hearth. Hearth is 15.5. The firebox is 20.5 deep and the back of firebox is 29 wide.

They have also looked at the Hearthstone Soapstone Homestead model. Any opinion on that would appreciated.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated also.

Soryr correction living space on second floor is 1200 and third floor is 900.

At 2100 square feet you need a large stove. In the woodstock that would mean the Progress Hybrid. It side loads, and has rear corner of side air control. so the side would have to be outside the fireplace. You'd need to extend the hearth . You have 36 inches combined fireplace and hearth. PH has a cooktop built in, which is a really nice feature...has three elements on a cast iron cooktop, which is concealed by the soapstone top when not in use. Top lifts back and rests in a groove/stainless support when cooking. .

The freestanding stoves are going to heat the home well if they are on the hearth in front of the fireplace. More heat will get into the home.

A front loader could be placed further back in the fireplace, but again, won't heat as well as it would if outside the fireplace. A front loader likely would also require an extension of the hearth. I don't know what the required front floor protection is for a front loader, but I'd imagine it is at least the sweep of the door? More knowledgeable people will chime in,

If the main living space is pretty open and the staircase to the upstairs is open to this space I would go for a 3 cu ft stove, twice the size of the Regency F1100. There are a lot of stoves in this realm. In Hearthstone, they should be looking at a Mansfield. The Woodstock Progress PH is another candidate. It all depends on their budget and taste.

If installing in the fireplace, you will need a stove that can be loaded from the front and a blower will be a big help in the colder weather. With that height, they may need to find a stove that has a short leg kit; will need to review the insulation requirements of the hearth. If no fan, a convection deck would help get the heat out

I think they are open to having the stove sit on the hearth, that is why they looked at the Hearthstone.

Any thoughts on how well the stone stoves heat vs. the traditional stoves?

The living room and kitchen are open the stairs to go up to third floor are off the living room near the fireplace so getting heat to go up stairs should not be issue. They might have a little issue getting down the hall to master bedroom on the second floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.