Stove too hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bobcat6602

Sep 25, 2019
makinen,mn
Vogelzang Ponderosa Wood Burning Stove burning to hot,uses lots of wood tried damper, and barometric damper .i have 6 inch pipe 12 feet long, straight shot to roof. let me know thanks to do bob

Vogelzang Ponderosa Wood Burning Stove burning to hot,uses lots of wood tried damper, and barometric damper .i have 6 inch pipe 12 feet long, straight shot to roof. let me know thanks to do bob
A barometric damper may be making the problem worse. This is a large stove. How large and area are you heating with it? What are you burning?

Try adding less wood until it gets really cold out
Try burning thicker wood splits
Try turning down the air much sooner

A 12 foot flue with a damper on it in warm weather? You should have poor draft, not excessive draft. Something is wrong.

Follow begreen's advice, and also check the stove for air leaks. The door gasket is usually the first suspect. Some good discussion on testing door seals here. Also make sure your glass is not loose in the door.

Also get rid of the barometric damper. Bad idea for wood stoves. It admits cold air into the flue. If the coolest part of the flue goes under 250, creosote condenses.

After the fire is started, both handles all the way out is minimum burn, all the way in is maximum burn.

Stove too hot

Last edited by a moderator:
What were your stove top temps?

A barometric damper is used for oil furnace flues. Why do you have one on there?

A barometric damper is used for oil furnace flues. Why do you have one on there?

They are used for wood furnaces too. Still, not appropriate for a wood stove!

Had same issue with my Regency f2400. After 6 years the glass retainer screws were loose and it was drawing combustion air around the edge of the glass.