Stoves from Home Depot or Lowes etc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Geezer

Dec 4, 2012
Marlboro NY
Hi, I'm new here and this spring will be putting in a pellet burner. I would like to run an inexpensive stove for a few seasons, then if it's for us, move to a premium stove.I am mechanically inclined and handy. I just can't see a $3500 dollar investment until I'm sure it is right for us.Any thoughts on stoves like Englander, Timber Ridge, etc? And thanks!undefined

Any thoughts on stoves like Englander, Timber Ridge, etc?
England's Stove Works makes stoves under the brand names Englander, Timber Ridge, and Summer's Heat. All 3 are identical except for the box that they are shipped in. They are what I consider to be a "Working man's stove." and if your expectations are not unreasonable, you will love it. They are priced well and mechanically they are sound. Furthermore, you do not need to rely on a dealer's service department to fix it. It is the only stove in the industry that has its own tech support network that will troubleshoot your problems right over the stove. Do not go into this purchase with the idea that this stove needs to get you by for a year or two until you can afford a "good stove." This IS a GOOD STOVE!!! Remember, a Chevy will get you from point A to point B just as well as a mercedes. If what you are looking for is something to turn cold air warm, then this baby will do the trick!

England's Stove Works makes stoves under the brand names Englander, Timber Ridge, and Summer's Heat. All 3 are identical except for the box that they are shipped in. They are what I consider to be a "Working man's stove." and if your expectations are not unreasonable, you will love it. They are priced well and mechanically they are sound. Furthermore, you do not need to rely on a dealer's service department to fix it. It is the only stove in the industry that has its own tech support network that will troubleshoot your problems right over the stove. Do not go into this purchase with the idea that this stove needs to get you by for a year or two until you can afford a "good stove." This IS a GOOD STOVE!!! Remember, a Chevy will get you from point A to point B just as well as a mercedes. If what you are looking for is something to turn cold air warm, then this baby will do the trick!

I would totally agree. my daughter has one, bought it used, and loves it. and there are people here that are more than willing to help out.

Remember, a Chevy will get you from point A to point B just as well as a mercedes. If what you are looking for is something to turn cold air warm, then this baby will do the trick!

Well said.

I just installed the 25 PDVC in my house a few weeks back as I decided I was not going to pay the 'oil man' a 'dime' anymore. It was costing to much to heat the house with 'oil', 100 gallons every 2 - 3 weeks @ $3.40+ a gallon is not what I call cost effective.

As for the stove I've installed (got it from Home Depot), it's a power house, heats up my little 1500sqf home just nice, the 'oil' burner in the cellar would not heat the top level, it struggled, now my home is warm all over. Down stairs 72 - 78, upstairs 65 - 70 depending on the settings on the stove.

I am burning 1 bag a day most of the time, some days I burn just under 1½ bags a day. The house never got above 69 with the 'oil' burner. Not sure as to why.

Finding the right pellets is a trial and error thing, but you have to do this to see what pellets work best and give off the most heat in the stove.

Good luck..... hope you find what you want for your $$$'s --- I know I have.

If you mechanically inclined look on craigslist plenty of people selling used ones some really cheap.

Thanks everybody, and CT we think much alike. The reason for my doubt is some of the reviews I've seen, seems like people love or hate them. Chevy is fine by me, long as it runs. I have a small 900 sq ft single story ranch. Do these things throw off too much heat?undefined

Thank you for the knowledge by the way you depart your knowledge. Allowing a working man like me to understand. *two thumbs up*

Thanks everybody, and CT we think much alike. The reason for my doubt is some of the reviews I've seen, seems like people love or hate them.
Find anything on this site, anything at all, (pellets, stoves, dealers, reapir techs, low-budget brothels, etc) and I will show you good reviews on them and I will show you horrible reviews on them. The internet and technology in general today is awesome..... absolutely awesome and powerful. But it's like the wild, wild west out here. Anything goes and there is no policing it. Just the way it is. So if you let negative internet reviews deter you from buying something, then you will die a wealthy man, because you will never spend another nickel on anything :rolleyes:

Thanks everybody, and CT we think much alike. The reason for my doubt is some of the reviews I've seen, seems like people love or hate them. Chevy is fine by me, long as it runs. I have a small 900 sq ft single story ranch. Do these things throw off too much heat?undefined

No, they don't throw off too much heat, maybe thinking of a wood stove? Def, LOTS of heat from those wood stoves, but these pellet stoves will gradually fill your home with heat and allow you to turn it down once comfortable. A good 70-75 degrees.
The only downside to one of the stoves (Englands) from Lowes and/or used from Craigslist (lots to be found there) is most require more daily maintenance, cleaning the burner pot and most with no ash pan. I went looking recently at one at a local Lowes. Kinda a hassle without one of those in place IMO.
Good luck in your search!

I have a small 900 sq ft single story ranch. Do these things throw off too much heat?undefined

Look for the 25-ep. It has an auto/off-hi/lo setting for the thermostat. Use the Auto/off feature during the warmer months and the hi/lo once the cold sets in.
http://www.englanderstoves.com/25-ep_i.html

The multifueler also has this feature, But costs a little more.
http://www.englanderstoves.com/10-cpm.html

AM/FM has refurbed units which are as new as you can get. But much lower cost. They also sell em on ebay too!

http://www.amfmenergy.com/

I purchased a Timber ridge insert this time last year and have been happy with it. I don''t hear the oil burner kicking on much anymore since its installation:).My house is 1800 sq ft. heats the entire 1st floor well and gets the upstairs to about 62.

Do you really mean too much heat?
or do you mean do they not throw much heat?

Sounds this person is my former pellet supplier? You used to deliver to me in the condo complex in Waterbury, CT; Countrywood Hills. We always got a combined delivery for 2 or 3 pellet burners; usally 9-12 tons. Hope CTPellet is doing well.

i think you'll find. People who hate their stoves generally have them hooked up wrong, are burning crappy pellets, or havne't cleaned them recently. Pellet stoves of all makes/models need to be treated like a Ferarri. They require lots of service (well, regular) to keep them clean and functioning correctly. The lazy folks are generally the ones who will have long term problems with them.

There's a learning curve. It's a bunch of tweaking, playing around, trying new things. I'm on season 4 and i'm still trying new things, new pellets, new thermostats, etc etc.

What i will say is MAKE SURE YOU DO INSTALL THE OUTSIDE AIR KIT.

I'm not a pellet burner, but I used the same philosophy. I bought a cheap but solid stove with good features at the end of year from a Menards type store. Paid maybe $250 (was $600) to see if I would like using the stove. Fallen in love with it, so if a few years after it's paid itself off I will feel like I can step up to a nice stove. Good luck.

The smallest unit they sell would probably be fine for that small home. The 25-PDVC is a 1500 sq. ft. unit that would work fine at heating it.

http://www.amfmenergy.com/55trp10--epa-certified-pellet-stove--1555101501.html

As Jtakeman mentioned above, I highly recommend buying a refurbed unit from AMFM Energy. These units are factory refurbished right at the Englander plant and are as close to new as you can get. Still come with original factory warranty, new OAK kit, plus free shipping to a loading dock near you.

The big advantage of owning one, besides saving a lot of $$, is that Englander's Senior service tech hangs out on this forum, and is very helpful. That PLUS the regular Englander Tech service can't be beat.

Remember, a Chevy will get you from point A to point B just as well as a mercedes. If what you are looking for is something to turn cold air warm, then this baby will do the trick!

hmmm...good analogy, but why is it then that the hot chicks always gravitate to the Ferrari and Lambos, and shun the poor debonaire guy in the economical Toyota Camry?

hmmm...good analogy, but why is it then that the hot chicks always gravitate to the Ferrari and Lambos, and shun the poor debonaire guy in the economical Toyota Camry?
Remember, both a chevy and a Mercedes will get you from point A to point B,....but what you pick up on the way may be the difference.

Do vegas rules apply? :p

a buddy has one of these E's and it throws out heat fine. biggest gripe he has is the lack of better thermostat control. his only does hi-low, not off, so it still gets too hot sometimes. Not sure on his exact model though, but it is an englander from a big box

Who says you cant have a Mercedes on a Chevy budget. CL has a 2 year old Harman P38 with 40 bags of pellets for 1200 with oak, pad and pipe. I would be on it but I like the self ignition and multifuel ability. Might have another feed truck roll over or train derailment. I got close to 60bu that way in two years.

Thanks everybody, I'm starting to get the lay of the land now. Comes down to diligence, and I've always been pretty good at keeping on top of things. I'll be using this thing as my main source of heat, I want to get it right. Once I get the stove and know the model number I'll ask for pellet recommendations. In the meantime I'll be reading the boards learning what I can. Thanks for your help!:)

Because your wallet is not big enough!!

A fool and his money are soon parted. The same thing will happen to that hot chick.

Reactions: jjs777_fzr
Status
Not open for further replies.