Stoves from Home Depot or Lowes etc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find anything on this site, anything at all, (pellets, stoves, dealers, reapir techs, low-budget brothels, etc) and I will show you good reviews on them and I will show you horrible reviews on them. The internet and technology in general today is awesome..... absolutely awesome and powerful. But it's like the wild, wild west out here. Anything goes and there is no policing it. Just the way it is. So if you let negative internet reviews deter you from buying something, then you will die a wealthy man, because you will never spend another nickel on anything :rolleyes:
That's pretty deep. You should write fortune cookies ;)

Reactions: jjs777_fzr
Reactions: jjs777_fzr
Can you also predict if you will ever deliver to the Orange County NY area?

Can you also predict if you will ever deliver to the Orange County NY area?
dont-count-on-it.jpg

hmmm...good analogy, but why is it then that the hot chicks always gravitate to the Ferrari and Lambos, and shun the poor debonaire guy in the economical Toyota Camry?

All a Ferrari or Lambo will get you is a gold digger.

All a Ferrari or Lambo will get you is a gold digger.
and thats ok if you are smart going into the transaction........just gotta be smarter than them, and live in a non-Common Law state.

"he who go to bed with itchy butt, awake with stinky finger"

I'm new to pellet stove myself. I love the stove but I'm kicking myself in the Ass for not buying a new unit. I should have sign up to this forum and ask question before I bought the used unit.

$1100.00 for a new stove that comes with 1 year warranty on electronic and 5 years on the box is very reasonable. But I've bought a used stove for $475.00 and found out later that you have to maintain yearly by replacing all the gasket all that add up quick.

The previous owner broke a screw in the combustion motor housing and 1 screw was not tighten and that gave me E1 code. I had the gasket fixed still getting E1 code. I disconnect all the vacuum hose for inspection they are all in good condition, replaced he combustion motor still have E1 code. I finally narrow it down it's the vacuum switch.

I've contact Englander I was told the weakness to this stove is the combustion motor and auger motor. I bough all the gaskets, combustion motor, 2 auger motors, an igniter total $497.00 now I need a vacuum switch.

Because I'm very mechanically incline I've decided to buy a used unit and this is what I get.

Beside the issue I have the stove heats my basement to over 80 degree and my living room at 71 degree that's heat range at 5 and 2

I'll buy the same stove again but not a used unit. I don't think I'll buy a new until for a while with the spares I have I'm understanding how the stove works.

I don't think I'll buy a new until for a while with the spares I have I'm understanding how the stove works
If you take care of that stove, you will not need to get another one. You ay however, need to occasionally replace the wear parts. (and honestly, on all pellet stoves, EVERYTHING except the steel housing is a wear part!) Other than that, your stove will have no problem turning cold air warm!

I installed a pellet stove this year. After reading the reviews and talking to the sales people at Lowe's and Home Depot I was completely turned off. A salesman in Home Depot actually told me they sell junk and most people come back to complain that they have problems out of the box. I went went a Harman P43. I don't have any complaints.

If you take care of that stove, you will not need to get another one. You ay however, need to occasionally replace the wear parts. (and honestly, on all pellet stoves, EVERYTHING except the steel housing is a wear part!) Other than that, your stove will have no problem turning cold air warm!

You're right! Now I have 2 spare auger motors, 1 combustion motor. I'll replace the bearings to the combustion motor. Vacuum switch will be here next week. Stove runs fine with the vacuum switch lead bypass.

After reading the reviews and talking to the sales people at Lowe's and Home Depot I was completely turned off
Ask that same salesman what an auger motor is and he will make you a tuna on rye. I have a Lowes and a HD, both within 2 miles of my warehouse. Most of my pellets sell for north of $270/ton with fair but modest margins. They sell theirs for around $200/ton. My business grows every year despite this and it's not because my customers are "just stupid" and "dont know any better". Don't come to me for 2X4's and nail guns, because I don't have a clue on that stuff.

I'm sorta ok with this....but watch what you just started!!!

I just got off the phone with the tech at Englander. It's ok to run the unit with the vacuum switch bypass, it will not damage any of the electronic in the control panel. He does recommend replacing the switch when I receive it, which I intend on doing.

From my understanding the vacuum switch is there to detect any vacuum lost and it will shut down the stove. When it is bypass it will not shut the unit down in the even that you do have a vacuum lost. It is a safety switch or error detector.

When it is bypass it will not shut the unit down in the even that you do have a vacuum lost. It is a safety switch or error detector.
I stand corrected....

I can't stop now. I went ahead and order a new convection motor and the door vacuum switch. This stove will be new except for the box and I still can't claim warranty. It's a good learning experience on how to trouble shoot the unit. I'll replace the bearings in the old motor and keep it as spares.

England's Stove Works makes stoves under the brand names Englander, Timber Ridge, and Summer's Heat. All 3 are identical except for the box that they are shipped in. They are what I consider to be a "Working man's stove." and if your expectations are not unreasonable, you will love it. They are priced well and mechanically they are sound. Furthermore, you do not need to rely on a dealer's service department to fix it. It is the only stove in the industry that has its own tech support network that will troubleshoot your problems right over the stove. Do not go into this purchase with the idea that this stove needs to get you by for a year or two until you can afford a "good stove." This IS a GOOD STOVE!!! Remember, a Chevy will get you from point A to point B just as well as a mercedes. If what you are looking for is something to turn cold air warm, then this baby will do the trick!

I agree it is a good stove.

All the issue I have was from previous owner stupidity and my experience trouble shooting the unit. Englander tech line is ridiculous 1/2 hour wait at 8 in the morning I though I was early.

All my issue was combustion housing gasket previous owner screwed up and a shut down vacuum switch total cost of about $50.00. Within 2 weeks I can say that I'm getting to know this stove very well.

......Englander tech line is ridiculous 1/2 hour wait at 8 in the morning I though I was early......

This is the busiest time of the year for them. You might try sending Mike H. a direct email or PM

I purchased a Lopi Pioneer last year from a stove shop as I didn't want the hassle of a "cheap" stove should I have problems. The local stove shop is reputable and would have addressed any issue I had. I've had none to speak of. In retrospect I could have saved some money and purchased a quality used stove from CL, etc. but who knows if that would have been as hassle free as the Lopi has been? Yo pays yo money and yo takes yo chances..... As they say. FWIW the Lopi heats my house better than I expected, requires little attention just a quick vacuum out every 2-3 days and it keeps on throwing the heat out. If you are at all handy and accept that pellets stoves need attention then they are a great way to heat your home and save a lot of money.

Reactions: Lousyweather
Status
Not open for further replies.