Stringy splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billybonfire

Feeling the Heat
Jul 6, 2012
Lancashire NW England.
Good morning USA !!

I have finaly bought a cheap log splitter (must be gettin old), just split a load of green ash and have noticed that the splits are not as clean as when split with a maul.
Wondered if this is usual ?.
I guess it may be a good thing as it may help the splits to catch when put in the stove.

Thanks.

Billy.

Thats normal for a hydraulic splitter, they tend to shear the wood and occasonally split/pop when the grain has a check in it.
What kind of splitter did you get?

Reactions: Billybonfire
Most ash that I split has fine strings that get yank out while hydro splitting. Dunno, I don't remember hand splitting the stuff to be any different. Maybe next time I am into some, I will split with both the hydro and the axe. Don't hold your breath though, that could be a long ways away.:cool:

Hey, since you are new to hydro - why not test both and see if there is a difference. Inquiring minds want to know. (and you will save me from dragging the axe out.;lol)

Thats normal for a hydraulic splitter, they tend to shear the wood and occasonally split/pop when the grain has a check in it.
What kind of splitter did you get?

Thanks for the reply basod, I got a Handy THLS-6 6 ton electric/hydraulic splitter, was £239 ($300 ish ?) from local guy who supplys & services our chainsaws. Seems to be well made and very sturdy. Could have got it cheaper on the net but prefer to buy local if any problems.

Hey, since you are new to hydro - why not test both and see if there is a difference. Inquiring minds want to know. (and you will save me from dragging the axe out.;lol)

Thanks Jags, wont be able to help with the comparison for a while, one of the reasons I got the splitter is I had an operation on my hand and wont be able to swing the maul for a while :(

Cheers

Billy.

Thanks Jags, wont be able to help with the comparison for a while, one of the reasons I got the splitter is I had an operation on my hand and wont be able to swing the maul for a while :(

Cheers

Billy.

You are gonna love using a splitter. I hand split for many-O-moons and don't miss it a bit. Heck, I even built a second splitter for the limited use I have at the cabin.;lol

Heal fast, my friend.

One of the benefits I have found already, a lot easier splittin bigger rounds, no more sledge n wedge :)
making my splits longer now too, cutting to 16" (stove will take 18" max) where as before I cut to 12" to make them easier to handle with the maul.

I'm gonna make a prediction that the next time you use your maul it will be as a sledge hammer for some odd job - driving stakes and such.

Personal experience involved here.

While on the subject, I've also wondered if there were any differences in the splits when using the bigger splitters, say 35 ton and up vs a smaller splitter. What about the little 4 or 6 ton models vs a 30 ton? I doubt there would be much difference if any but is sort of interesting to wonder about it. As for me, I am very happy to keep on using the hydraulics and have no urge whatsoever to go back to axe or splitting maul or sledge and wedge. Besides, using the hydraulics I can sit and split. Don't have to sweat and get wet either.

I'd say it has more to do with style of splitter as opposed to tonnage. Mine has a narrow(not really sharp) axe style wedge, where as most of the big splitters have wider nearly triangular wedge.
The higher power wide angle will more likely find the weak spot in the grain and split. The narrow ones do the same thing somewhat, but tend to shear more before splitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.