Sugar maple...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Were not Canada.
2) Because there's so many of them, that according to IDNR has observed the need for them to be dispatched. They do a frequency count in plant population...and decided the other trees around them like osage orange (which I can still cut them) Kentucky coffee trees, BL, and oaks are needing room to breathe.

Yeah, and we all know that the DNR could never be wrong!

I've got 7 kinds of maple on my property and sugar maple (Acer saccharum) is the slowest to grow by a long way. At 35 yrs., it's still a mid-sized tree. I know because I planted 5 yr whips 30 yrs ago, thinking I could harvest maple sugar in my lifetime. Not going to happen. They are still half the size of Silver Maple planted at the same time.

Without a number of leaves plus a good guide book, even I could not tell some of the species apart. I suspect that the trees that were marked for cutting were not real sugar maple.

Silver maple (Acer saccharinum) yup, almost the same spelling as sugar is very easy to identify and grows fast and is fairly brittle OK for burning but semi-soft wood.
Box Elder Maple (Acer negundo) is very soft, brittle, super fast growing and I would consider it to be invasive. Lots of knots and a PITA to split. It's hardly worth burning and has a slightly foul smell when cut.
Both Silver and Box Elder have a ton of small branches and messy to deal with.

I was cutting large Silver Maple on the weekend that were badly damaged in an ice storm. Both the Silver and the Box Elder were hit hard by the ice storm mid-winter but most of the other trees are OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.