Suggestions for a wood stove and cook top for emergencies.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The chimney and preparation for the stove will likely cost more than the stove itself, just something to keep in mind.

Your not kidding there and I have the quote for the concrete and that's about 2500.00 and I know if one could do the work themselves it would a lot cheaper but at this time I am hiring this job out. If I were younger my carpenter and I would spread it ourselves. This is just the beginning here with price...Next the closing in of the space and windows and the design of it and then the brick work etc etc..it goes on and on here so much fun...I figure at this point if I am just able to get a nice stove and let it sit in the porch in place until I get ready to install it for that involves a whole lot of stuff--permits, codes,,etc and of course money. Then for this time being my job will be done and it is just a matter of being on here learning about wood and burning and basically "know how"...We have a long way to go but I am learning as we make the trip and the stove installer I really like but who knows there again I might wind up with another person. So yea SpaceBus some money will be spent with this project but I do want that feeling of everything is going to be okay and I won't wind up in a warming center with lots of other people. I at least want to feel prepared even if it is never used for a emergency purpose and it will be enjoyable for me to feel the warm fire in the winter watching it on the porch and having a cup of coffee with the snow coming down...dreaming here...clancey

Reactions: SpaceBus
Very well said and in the life money is important but should as much as possible never be the only one thing to consider, beeing happy, beeing satisfied, have more maney and less pleasure is the opposite of the happiness....place the money first and all the beauty of the life fall down in second place and most of the time very far away.
Just how I and my wife see the life, no money but happy.

You two are just wonderful people and I am glad that you are taking this trip with me and I have a feeling this is going to be "a ride" lol lol
clancey..

I decided on a Morso Stove 1410 and I have my installer scouting that out for the installation so disregard this J.A. Roby Sirius Stove although to me it is a beauty but because of the smaller space and being green at this decided on a smaller stove as well as smaller wood pieces to lift so just disregard the first item the price of the stove is why I am writing this...Here is the estimate...Now what parts can I negotiate on a bit and what do you all think---heart attack time for me here.. lol...

J.A. Roby Stove 2175.00
Adapter section no damper 58.56
Telescoping Length 40x68 271.35
DVL Dura Black Chimney adapted with trim 71.52
12" double wall black pipe 68.17
Square ceiling support box 24 inch 222.29
48' chimney pipe GA 207.17
Storm collar 5'--6' 19.08
Adjustable roof flashing 0/12--6/12 105.57
Extended roof bracket 141.81
Home Saver Pro Guardian Cap 6" ID stainless steel 169.00
Free standing wood stove installation 1250.00
Brick hearth pad min 42x45 Labor and materials to lay 13.5 sq feet 573.75
Brick wall behind stove floor to ceiling 8x5 labor and materials about 40 sq feet. 1700.00
** Any venting material not used will be returned for a full refund...
** Taxes 177.47
Total----------------------------------------------------7644,95

What do you think and any where the price could be negotiated in your opinion "besides all of it"--lo lol..Need your good judgement here and in the meanwhile the office workers are scouting around for a morso 1410 for me so the price might change a bit.. Installation will maybe be in August...Have a lot to do before that to get it ready...I also asked him about a pipe venting into the main house with about 600 sq feet and I imagine that will be more plus the permits....Thanks everyone really appreciate all the feedback...clancey

No more thinking about stoves because I just bought the Morso1410 (squirrel one) and it will be here in a few weeks..Just to let you all know...I think I will really like it and I can't wait to pick for it is 160 pounds but my carpenter will get it and bring it to my house..

Last edited:
Did you ask for the bricks going up the wall? If you are interested in saving money you don't have to do that part. Otherwise I think it seems like a decent bid. I'm happy to see double wall stove pipe, that will help the stove run at its best. I do think you may need a bit more chimney above your roof. Morso suggests at least 16 feet from cap to stove.

Your right on all counts and yes I asked for the whole wall to be done and that Morso takes a longer pipe my gosh that will be a million dollars more---I'm excited and it might take a few weeks to get my wonderful wood stove here--can't wait to put my hand on it. My installer will be here after I have it concreted and enclosed to help me pick the very right spot for it as well as maybe having a piping put air out to the rest of the house which is about 600 square feet. What kind of wood would be good to start with this little thing to break it in and my installer said that it might smell or something when I first light it....O Boy O Boy...At least the stove decision is made "Yes"--thanks SpaceBus and it would be cheaper on the walls to do it another way but I think brick will really look nice especially since this house is 1926..

Most stoves call for at least 14 feet, usually 15 feet, of flue. If you can put the stove where the roof is taller then you won't have to use as much expensive insulated chimney pipe.

Yea you are right SpaceBus and I am trying to design that space now so that I will have some ideas for the carpenter to consider and see if he can do it but one consideration is I am worried for it to be next to the main house wall (worry wort here) and of course its the installer who will call this but you are right and it would save some money. I am also looking at your suggestion of the brick work to get the price down and I am looking at that too as well. I have a South wall next to the driveway that has a lot of wind to where sometime I have to leave the front fence open because the wind there is like a wind tunnel or something. Then I have the West wall that is the lowest height and this faces the yard and the next wall North is where the back entrance to the house is with a wall on the right " coming out of the house "that is the wall to where on the other side of the wall the basement steps go down..I put three pictures on here but it did not work so I need to figure out how I did it before because I forget...lol...clancey and I will work on it...getting old...

https://webmail.centurylink.net/service/home/~/?id=28694&part=3&auth=co&disp=i
https://webmail.centurylink.net/service/home/~/?id=28694&part=2&auth=co
https://webmail.centurylink.net/service/home/~/?id=28694&part=4&auth=co&disp=i

That was a struggle but I got some old pictures on here so that you can see it better..Please forgive the mess and it won't look like this when it is done---I hope...Is wind good for a wood cook stove if not that driveway wall will be out...Thanks for the help everyone clancey

On posting number 80 there is a price list and I do not know how to bring it on this posting...Seeing what you are think about the prices. I hope to have this installed in August and on April 12 the concrete will be put down..clancey

Last edited:
Sitting thinking about this stove and wondering how long that double piping has to be is it with this stove and how far from the walls does the stove have to be set. I might have to put it on the wall to the main house because I do not want it to be such a high profile to begin with and more blend it with other things on the roof. The high point I guess is about 95 inches and as another poster said these stove pipes would have to be about 14 feet and if I do that then I have (about 7"9 under the roof and 6".1 inches above the roof and that's the high side.
My figuring could be off here because of materials that finish everything including a 4 inch concrete floor. Does the pipe have to 14 foot on this Morso 1410 because 6 foot outside seems like a lot of pipe and do you think I might be able to shorten it or is this standard.. Does wind affect these wood burners or maybe it might be good some wind but sometimes lots of wind on the other side of the porch--wind tunnel.. I am just thinking about all of this so I thought that I would ask...Does it have to be straight up can it be sideways going out the wall...Just wondering....thanks -some pictures in the before posting with some prices..thanks..clancey

Do you have the pictures saved on your computer? At the bottom of the reply box there is a button towards the bottom left corner that says "attach files" and that is a good way to upload pictures.

The chimney exit must also be two feet taller than anything within ten feet of it. I find wind makes the stove run harder so I have to close the air controls sooner, but every install is different. Some people report no changes with wind. My cookstove is a rear vent stove that has a chimney that goes right out and up the wall. This is a more expensive install since the whole 24 foot flue is all double walled insulated Class A chimney pipe. Our Morso is a top vent stove with single wall connector pipe going into our masonry chimney. In your case the least expensive way to do it is straight up and out of your roof. This will be less Class A Chimney and more double wall connector pipe. I know sometimes tall chimney going out of a low roof looks a bit funny, but smoke pouring into your house because the chimney is too short is even less funny.

I know this is all overwhelming, but once you get all this figured out you probably won't have to do any of it ever again. I spent a year planning our wood burning cookstove install. We changed our mind several times on the stove we would go with, where to put it, chimney configuration, etc. A good stove is well worth putting all this money and effort up front.

That makes me feel a bit better and I am thinking of "how to design" where it is to go on the porch. I really need the installer here to walk me through a few things but its nice to know that it is possible to do. Thanks for the encouragement and I needed that so off I go to cause havoc in the world..lol Thanks a lot...especially about that download button and I will try to use it when I post and see if it works for me..clancey Wow it worked----thanks..

Attachments

• back porch=storage 005.JPG
    back porch=storage 005.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 106