Suggestions needed to feed a rigid tube liner above the roof with a flat concrete top.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I think as the liner will come up to the top of the wide sleeve just under the reductor I'm going to clamp it here. Rivot these supports on the side of the sleeve (if it will take the weight) and clamp this to the liner with a big jubilee clip. Easy access and adjustable from here.

IMG_20210315_200330.jpg IMG_20210315_200342.jpg IMG_20210315_202035.jpg IMG_20210315_202047.jpg

Yes just the top, from the plate through the concrete top and extending about 50cm in total height not including the cowl.
OK, then insulating the liner with a wrap below that point makes more sense and is recommended. This definitely is one of the more unusual installations we have seen.

Reactions: yonny33
OK, then insulating the liner with a wrap below that point makes more sense and is recommended. This definitely is one of the more unusual installations we have seen.
Great thanks for the advice again.
Just weighed one section, just over 1.6 kgs.
So almost 10kgs in total. If I can I'll make a lower support also. Just something simple

I think as the liner will come up to the top of the wide sleeve just under the reductor I'm going to clamp it here. Rivot these supports on the side of the sleeve (if it will take the weight) and clamp this to the liner with a big jubilee clip. Easy access and adjustable from here.

View attachment 276470 View attachment 276471 View attachment 276472 View attachment 276473
You've basically fabricated your own double wall insulated chimney pipe. Excellent work.

Another doubt - If I use aluminum tape to wrap the ceramic fiber or even the rock wool what kind of temperature will the outer surface of the insulation get to?

Concerned about the sticky aluminum tape getting too hot. Will it be ok?
One seller says it is good to 120c , another 250c but they look the same- not much. I've seen a 3m good to 600c but not in this country.

Last edited:
Another doubt - If I use aluminum tape to wrap the ceramic fiber or even the rock wool what kind of temperature will the outer surface of the insulation get to?

Concerned about the sticky aluminum tape getting too hot. Will it be ok?
One seller says it is good to 120c , another 250c but they look the same- not much. I've seen a 3m good to 600c but not in this country.
That really depends on so many things. Type of stove and how hot you run it, how much insulation is there, and how much airflow around the outside of the insulation.

Typical chimney temperatures (inside) can range from 120C all the way up to 500 C or hotter. With a layer of metal, then insulation, I'd expect the outside surface temp to be much lower than that. A standard Class A insulated pipe usually only gets warm to the touch under normal operation, and is rated for 5cm clearance to combustibles.

Just fabricated this effective clamp from some spare parts and cut offs.

Attachments

• IMG_20210316_181557.jpg
    IMG_20210316_181557.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20210316_181604.jpg
    IMG_20210316_181604.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 108
Reactions: gthomas785
This is a better option of rock wool:

already shaped for tubes and 25mm option.
Waiting for a quote

This is a better option of rock wool:

already shaped for tubes and 25mm option.
Waiting for a quote
That looks more practical.

That looks more practical.

Out of luck, I'm afraid. They only have 63mm thickness with 140mm internal diameter. That won't fit.
Double the cost of the previous ceramic fiber 12mm also.

Update: Found another supplier with 25mm ceramic fiber - 60 bucks for a 7.2m roll (0.61cm wide).
The other ceramic fiber seller was being silly with the shipping costs and not very helpful at all.

oh boy wish we had Home depot or Wickes here. Miss these big stores around the country. All these suppliers here are miles away and all centralized near the port in one small district part of the old town. Such a pain to get to if they don't offer postage.

Last edited:
Out of luck, I'm afraid. They only have 63mm thickness with 140mm internal diameter. That won't fit.
Double the cost of the previous ceramic fiber 12mm also.

Update: Found another supplier with 25mm ceramic fiber - 60 bucks for a 7.2m roll (0.61cm wide).
The other ceramic fiber seller was being silly with the shipping costs and not very helpful at all.

oh boy wish we had Home depot or Wickes here. Miss these big stores around the country. All these suppliers here are miles away and all centralized near the port in one small district part of the old town. Such a pain to get to if they don't offer postage.
:(

Amazon Amazon Amazon prime oh I miss you!! My next day delivery (2 hour even) and returns policy I had in the UK. :( When life was so much easier.

You just cannot win!

One supplier wants 250 pesos for shipping
The other 200 mtrs away wants 900 pesos for the same size roll!!!

Making money from shipping by the looks of it. :mad:

Last edited:
Think I'll give this a miss from the seller (long explanation :eek: ,been a long enough search last thing I need now is a long phone call.)

I'll just go for the 12mm 5 metre length of ceramic fiber and finish the whole issue.

Appears the foil-wrapped in the rock wool is only good up to 82c!!! Good job I saw that.

Please call me
094xxxxxx
I have several options and a long explanation to talk about
This was from the super expensive option also.

Wow, I've never seen rockwool rated to such a low temperature. Maybe they used some polymer based binder or it has a plastic vapor barrier incorporated? Anyway, good catch.

We had some fairly strong winds last night (30mph+) and instead of all the wind blowing down the flue filling the living room with a strong odor of old smoke from the stained brickwork it was nice and odor-free!!! The new type of wind cowl seems to work quite well.
Just need some semi-tropical torrential rain to test its effectiveness now. Possibly Saturday.

I would still like to fit a damper with a lever though. The stove guy is looking for one for me. (I asked a so-called experienced flue/liner fabricator and he just had no idea, clueless, and totally unhelpful and willing to make a damper. Appears they just do what they know and no more). It's a struggle I tell you!

IMG_20210313_183928.jpg

Last edited:
We had some fairly strong winds last night (30mph+) and instead of all the wind blowing down the flue filling the living room with a strong odor of old smoke from the stained brickwork it was nice and odor-free!!! The new type of wind cowl seems to work quite well.
Just need some semi-tropical torrential rain to test its effectiveness now. Possibly Saturday.

I would still like to fit a damper with a lever though. The stove guy is looking for one for me. (I asked a so-called experienced flue/liner fabricator and he just had no idea, clueless, and totally unhelpful and willing to make a damper. Appears they just do what they know and no more). It's a struggle I tell you!

View attachment 276641
Are you referring to a flue damper like this? Or something else..
1616080902648.png

yep or something like this already integrated into a 2mm section:

Best of luck finding it. Depending on your stove however, you may not need one. They are typically used to restrict the flow in cases when the draft is excessive, usually due to a tall chimney. In your case, 5 meters is not really that tall.

Best of luck finding it. Depending on your stove however, you may not need one. They are typically used to restrict the flow in cases when the draft is excessive, usually due to a tall chimney. In your case, 5 meters is not really that tall.

Are they at all useful to stop backdraft when not in use?

Maybe a little, but not really. All the ones I've seen have holes in them so "closed" is about 20% open. Either way it certainly wouldn't hurt to have it.

Looks great.

Some dampers were in a collection of cast iron cookware I bought in 2011. Too bad you're not nearby. If you have trouble finding something, I could look into mailing you one, if I have the size you need.

010 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
That damper from Kratki made me think of the damper in the exhaust chimney of my barbeque smoker.

I think you mentioned Home Depot. There are dampers like it at a HD in the area here.