Summers heat or Lopi?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brucek1$

Nov 21, 2017
Cook mn
Looking for some input on a couple of stoves. Have kinda narrowed my search for a new stove down to the summers heat madison? 50-SHSSW01 or the lopi republic 1750. Im more so looking for opinions on the summer heat madison as i have only found a few threads from a few years ago on it. I feel the lopi would be great but its a big price difference. Which ever one i get will be going in a 1000 sq.ft home that is on the drafty side. Also habe considered the englander 13 but its hard to make the hearth requirements on it. Also saw drolet has newer model out called the blackcomb that seemed like a decent stove?

Either will work, but the Madison should get the job done if the budget is tight and it's a little larger. Dry fuel is going to make a bigger difference hear. Modern stoves need fully seasoned wood to burn well.

Wood shouldnt be a problem, i have a about 4 cords that have been cut, split and stacked since april of pine, poplar and some birch, should be plenty dry by this next winter. Another standpoint im looking at is this isnt our forever home but we will be using the stove for a few years. I suppose to the right person a higher quality stove might add some more value down the road possibly?

If you're thinking of resale I'd consider the Lopi Endeavor or PE Super 27, but just for heat, the Madison will get the job done. It has easy install parameters and a big window.

How tall will the flue system be on the stove and will it be straight up or up to an elbow and out the wall?

Its a straight shot, ill be running all new pipe as well as the stove im replacing is 8". I guess height will be whatever the stove calls for but im guessing around 15 feet

If 15+ ft straight up with 6" then you should be fine.

I have the summers heat madison and really like it. The AAS system works really well on it. The large glass stays clean and makes for a great view of the fire. If you have any specific questions ask away and i'll try to answer them.

I have the summers heat madison and really like it. The AAS system works really well on it. The large glass stays clean and makes for a great view of the fire. If you have any specific questions ask away and i'll try to answer them.

How much space are you heating with it? And if im correct the.madison is only a spark and ember protection correct? Does englander make any other models with only spark and ember protection?

Another question regarding clearances, any way you could get me a measurement from center of the flue collar to the rear of stove. Trying to see where the stove will sit on my current hearth, should be fine to meet the clearances as they are very close even with single wall pipe 7.5 if i read it right?

I'm heating about 1800sf in a 1963 sears home kit in the Adirondacks. We've tightened it up as best as we can, new windows, attic insulation, foam insulation around the outside then siding over that since it only had 2x4 walls. We have a very open floor plan which makes it easier to heat with wood. Yes it is spark protection only which is really nice. I don't know what their other models require sorry I can't help you there. I'll measure the back tonight when I get home, regarding clearances, if the stove says it only needs x amount of inches for clearance you still need to follow the clearances required by the pipe.

Ok thanks, yes i will still have 18 inches of clearance on the pipe, i see in the manuel it states that a single wall connector can be 12 inches from combustibles how does that work?

Go with double-wall connector pipe, 6 clearance. With a stainless inner pipe it's superior to single-wall and will help the stove draft better with a cleaner chimney.