Sunday Plans...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HisTreeNut

Minister of Fire
Nov 3, 2014
Burnsville, NC
WP_20151004_001.jpg WP_20151004_08_21_40_Pro.jpg WP_20151004_13_16_47_Pro.jpg

Not sure if this is the right forum or not, but thanks to the rain, I have Sunday plans now to cut, stack, & repair...assuming it stops raining.
Could have been a lot worse but at least I am getting some semi-weathered pine out of it.

Last edited:
that sucks, at least it's not the house

Reactions: HisTreeNut
It does. Fixing, repairing, and/or replacing the deck was not in the plans this year. The wife is thankful the house was not hit. When she called me at work to let me know, she and the kiddos were a little shook up. Likewise, if we would have gotten the rain the weather prognosticators thought was going to happen, it definitely could have been worse. We are counting our blessings.

Last edited:
It's a mess, but it looks like the deck itself is ok. $50 worth of 2x4 and 2x6 should get things back to normal. Could be worse. Plus free wood!

I called the insurance company and sent them pictures as a precaution. I will be running after a pallet tomorrow and will clean the mess up and re-inspect the deck. I also checked trees to see if any were in danger of coming down...does not appear to be any. I will be getting some practice in with a chainsaw.
To some degree, it is a good thing it happened. I have been wanting to get an estimate on removing several trees and the wifey agrees we ought to now. She is worried it cold happen again as am I.
There a lot of trees on that hill that could potentially fall on the house. There are some smaller ones I can take down but with my experience level and the steepness of that hillside...a bunch of widow-makers in my estimation. There are a few the power company is going take down for as well as they are close to power lines and they will be getting a call also.
Batman...free wood is definitely a good thing. We wanted to re-build the decks, so that may come down for the time being. More "free" wood...might have to have a fire in the fire pit.

Why waist it in the fire pit? cut and stack that for heat.

I have been burning some house parts recently. Had to rebuild/beef up a porch roof. Lots of old school 2x4 and other chunks, but the choice bits were the 31/2x7 (actual) timbers. Ends rotted, so they needed to get replaced. An 11' and a 9' piece. I 'bucked' them with a circ saw and made a couple of nice shoulder season fires the past two days. They burned great.

Planning on it in general...but...

Parts & Supplies for deck repair...$50.00.

Hot Cocoa & S'mores supplies...$7.50

Cool autumn night with fire pit, s'mores, wifey & kiddos...PRICELESS!

Although the tree did a number on the deck, it was no match for the chainsaw, axe, sledgehammers, & wedge.

WP_20151005_14_39_29_Pro.jpg WP_20151005_001.jpg

Almost forgot...moisture content is right at 20%. Cannot beat that if you ask me...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.