Super Cedars

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thomas, at one time, tried going to another density, but I've gotten the higher density both times I think...not sure if that's still an option or not, but the higher density seems to have less crumbs.

I agree - definitely the higher density ones make less crumbs. These things are worth the expense and I hated using newspaper.
Is it me or does it seem like newspaper does not light as well as it did years ago?

I agree - definitely the higher density ones make less crumbs. These things are worth the expense and I hated using newspaper.
Is it me or does it seem like newspaper does not light as well as it did years ago?

Depends . . . there is a difference in some newspaper. Some have more of a filler -- I think clay -- it gives it a different feel and I suspect makes color photos and print "pop" more to the eye. In my area the daily newspaper is nowhere as good at burning as the weekly entertainment newspaper which still uses the older style (and I suspect cheaper) paper.

They still make newspapers?

Reactions: ratsrepus
I like the product, but 90 clams, for something that you can replace with stuff you put in the garbage? Not for me.

I refer to this as Costco syndrome, it's a modern day affliction.

You are right, you won't have many cold starts next year with your new setup.

If you are detemined to get starters, why get so many? But, it's your $90.
Kinda agree with you,one thing baffles me I can get 72 super cedars on e=bay shipped for 42$,but can't buy that many from super cedar for that cost,also Northern Tool has them dirt cheap.Never the less decent starter.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
There are probably at least half a dozen reasons why I like heating with wood, but saving money is near the top of the list.

That said, I keep finding myself inexplicably wanting to spend more money on heating with wood. Buying firestarters appeals to me, I want to, but it's where I'm drawing the line.

Now, let me get back to drafting my $1,000 woodshed plan...

Last edited:
Think I'll stick to paper, they're $250 plus $107 for shipping on Amazon.ca! I can make a lot of kindling for $360!

Reactions: Alpine1
A few strips of old newspaper, 3 or 4 well dried pine cones and there you have it: roaring fire in seconds, cheaper than dirt, locally produced and as organic as possible.

With my schedule I usually end up doing a cold start in the afternoon, so I use a lot of these. Normally a 1/4 or less w/no kindling. Works great. When I got the stove I debated news paper vs. super cedar, and went with the latter for cost. I don't read the paper, so it would have been bought specifically for starting fires. The sub. would have cost me more.

Reactions: tickbitty
Just ordered a box of 100. Horrified that we ran out. I had no idea we were that low. Husband brings them up from basement a handful at a time. We've only had a couple fires so far this fall and I guess we had only half a disc left. I think I've forgotten how to start a fire without super cedars.

Reactions: webfish
I liked the samples I got, but they are a bit out of my price range for the payoff. I now make my own. Melt some wax, sawdust and put in a to cupcake paper

Last edited:
Ripping off my cedar shingles on the garage as I replace the curled, broken and gray old shingles with vinyl board and batting . . . while I love my Super Cedars I should be OK with using these old shingles for kindling for a very, very long time.

OK, here is my two cents. I am getting my insert installed next week, but I have already purchased 100 Super Cedars for $75.00 ($125 x .6), I was actually surprised at how small the box was. OK, when you do the math… many people say they split the super cedar between 2 or 3 or even 4 fire starts. NOW the MATH... at 200 fire starts the cost is $0.375 at 300 fire starts the cost is $0.25 and at 400 fire starts the cost is $0.1875.
My question is how many fire starts do you do on one super cedar disc? And I purchased a CAT inset, I don't want to use any ink or anything that will damage my insert, hence I purchased the super cedar.

Reactions: tickbitty
Finally broke down and bought them off Amazon, 36 count for $40. I cut them into 4's. I find them very convenient during the shoulder season where I'm not running the stove constantly and doing cold starts more frequently.

The discount code is still hearth18 I believe. 40% off from their site. https://www.supercedar.com/products.cfm

I emailed to ask them on free samples.

Thanks! I already emailed them and they instantly sent me out some samples! Great company it seems. I am still curious if the knockoffs I linked to are the same item. It seems the knockoffs are a better deal up until you buy 100 from supercedar with 40% off code. I can't wait to get my samples in and see if they live up to the hype.

Thanks! I already emailed them and they instantly sent me out some samples! Great company it seems. I am still curious if the knockoffs I linked to are the same item. It seems the knockoffs are a better deal up until you buy 100 from supercedar with 40% off code. I can't wait to get my samples in and see if they live up to the hype.

Those look like Super Cedars that they had their own logo put on. Super Cedars will do that for you.I have had that done and gave a bunch away that say hearth.com. I bought the unwrapped this last time. I love them and use maybe an 1/8th of a puck for each start.

Reactions: robj80
My wife just bought a 100 pack_g I had previously used 14 pucks in 2.5 years..... Apparently she was looking ahead. Waaaay ahead!
It took almost 2 weeks for them to arrive. The tracking was hilarious. The package stopped for 1 hour many many times on the way? Odd. Kinda figured we would end up with a box of red packaged dust by the time it arrived. They finally arrived. In fine condition.

I tried the lint, egg carton, and wax. It did not work as well as I wanted. Not bad but not great. If anyone has ideas for using shredded paper let me know .I have an unlimited supply .