Surprise on the way to the barn this morning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foragefarmer

Jan 14, 2013
Central, Virginia
Was surprised to see this standing dead white oak snapped off this morning. I had planned on cutting it down last winter but hadn't gotten to it partly because I knew it was hollow and wanted to fall towards the fence.

Well the weather we had a couple days ago took care of that. And my list of chores changed a little.

Got the stump cut up and moved.

I think it was kind of hollow!

Had the blue tractor in the barn.

I moved the stump section up to the barn.

Then I got the tractor around and pulled the top out from where it was snagged.

I drove down a power line right of way in order to get the tree and look what I found there.

Got the rest of the tree cut up and split. It is really humid today and rained for 10 minutes which ruined all hope to mow my lawn today.

Probably a good thing that gravity and Mother Nature took that tree down for you. I wouldn't want to mess with something that hollow.

Reactions: BoilerMan
Probably a good thing that gravity and Mother Nature took that tree down for you. I wouldn't want to mess with something that hollow.

My thoughts exactly when I got into it. The tree is 100 yards from the barn I store my wood in,so normally I would have been all over the tree, but I had been hesitant to cut it down over the winter.

Looks like the top has some good wood.
White oak is "Primo" fire wood. Lots of BTUs for you.

Is that a hickory on the right-of way?

Reactions: nrford
Looks like the top has some good wood.
White oak is "Primo" fire wood. Lots of BTUs for you.

Is that a hickory on the right-of way?

No, it is an oak in the red oak family. My guess is either a scarlet oak or black oak. And I am really lucky in that I burn oak almost exclusively. I give other species to the renters in the old farm managers cottage.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
A tractor like that would help with my wood processing

Good you got that taken care of. Probably got the fence fixed too?

Reactions: ScotO
Just one fiberglass post messed up. I came in and posted this and had lunch and then the sky opened up and we got 1.75" of rain in about 30-45 mins.. So no, but the cows are on the other side of the farm right now. Maybe in the morning before I head to work.

Nice job getting that beast on the ground.​

Nice haul, FF! Thankfully Mother Nature got that puppy on the ground for you...
I hate dropping hollow trees. Lots of things can go south in a hurry working trees like that......spooky stuff!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.