Sweeping at end of season (Spring) vs beginning of next (fall)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I had a bunch of stunned yellow jackets and nesting materiel fall down around my soot eater 1 year.
That must have been a lively moment! Who was more stunned, the yellow jackets or you?

I was talking to a guy who use to install and he said to Brush before the winter start because the Creasote would dry and flake instead of being greasy. I'm new and just installing now.
I don't think that's quite right...

I usually end up cleaning mine just before I start my first fire of the year. But I generally think it is better to cleanse the end of the season. I just never do

That must have been a lively moment! Who was more stunned, the yellow jackets or you?

Definitely them! I was surprised as heck, but the sooteater whipped the snot out of them before they got to me!