SWITZER 1050 11yrs later

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It's been a while since I've posted and much longer since installing my boiler. I was surprised to find that this link still works to my install pics! http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm210/forestfamily64/
After a couple years of burning oil, due to a chronic illness that stopped me from processing firewood, I'm back in action. The Switzer heats as good as ever and was extremely dependable and efficient while using it's oil gun. My wife looked it up and we actually burned less oil than when using a conventional 5 gallon capacity oil boiler.
Being so far behind on wood I was forced to purchase some sadly seasoned wood that was forgotten in a friends field. It's okay to burn but very dirty. I've got piles of pine logs and short rounds that a few friends drop off for free frequently. I split a cord at a time and stack next to the boiler in the basement and a week later it burns great. For a while now I've mostly burned well seasoned pine (pre-illness) because it's free, easy to process, fast heat, the Switzer loves it, chimney is always clean, and did I mention FREE!?!
Just another happy wood burner,
Ed

Reactions: maple1
So, the oil burner's been heating up the 1000 gal of water before it shuts off?
I've been heating up maybe 140 gallons (120 gal tank) with my oil burner since not burning pellets for a while (costs).
It runs for a pretty long time, which I figure might not be a bad thing.
The boiler was pretty clean, last time I tuned it up.

I’ll say it’s been awhile, good to hear all is going well!

Hi Tom,
I see by your signature that you continue to experiment with and tweek the Garn. Are you still heating the pool and hot tub with it?

So, the oil burner's been heating up the 1000 gal of water before it shuts off?
I've been heating up maybe 140 gallons (120 gal tank) with my oil burner since not burning pellets for a while (costs).
It runs for a pretty long time, which I figure might not be a bad thing.
The boiler was pretty clean, last time I tuned it up.

The oil gun has it's own aquastat near the top of the boiler and can't control the mix valve. Other than return water and the lower fire tubes, not much heat goes to the lower third of the boiler. So when using oil I heat the top of the tank to 180*. I actually stopped using the additional storage tanks the year before I got sick. It was an experiment to see if I could save some time and wood. Turns out a short burn daily saves me lots of time and wood.
If anyone needs a couple 1000 gal pressurized storage tanks, I've got them!.

Hi Ed,
Sold that house and brought the garn to the new one, downsized 9 years ago. This house is only 3 miles from the old one, pretty much done tweaking well hopefully!