T cleanout cover loose

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelvin 506

Aug 20, 2014
MA
I had a few hours tonight where my Hearthstone was acting strange, smoldering coals with minimal flame. When I'd open the door I'd get smoke coming into the room.

I have no idea why I shined my flashlight behind the stove but I'm glad I did, the bottom cover of the t cleanout was on the floor. I assume it came off a few hours earlier. I stuck it back on and have a nice flame and the heat is pumping from the stove again!

Here's my few questions:

What happens when this cover comes off? I'm assuming it kills the draft and when I open the door that's why the smoke entered the room.

Is there a CO hazard here when the cover comes off?

How can I better affix the cover. It has fallen off 2 or 3 times now since the stove was installed, happens about once per year. It's the shiny metal kind with a crimped rim.

Thanks

What happens when this cover comes off? I'm assuming it kills the draft and when I open the door that's why the smoke entered the room.
Yes it means you have little to no draft at all.

Is there a CO hazard here when the cover comes off?
Yes depending on where in the burn cycle the fire is at.

How can I better affix the cover. It has fallen off 2 or 3 times now since the stove was installed, happens about once per year. It's the shiny metal kind with a crimped rim.
Put screws in it it should have been done that way to start with

Reactions: Kelvin 506
I put screws in mine and slid some brick under it, don't think it needs the bricks because the screws won't just pop off but I had them when I installed and were a perfect height.

Reactions: Kelvin 506
Thanks, is there a particular type of screw (material) I need to get? I will wedge a brick up under it for tonight and get the screw driver out first thing tomorrow morning!

Put screws in it it should have been done that way to start with
Finding that would have me checking the rest of the installation immediately. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.