T5 performance update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a little tongue in cheek humour Ray as they all have been there for quite awhile ;)

Pretty sure the cat would lay on top of it if he could ::-)

Reactions: raybonz
Pulling the coals back and dropping a bunch on the floor is getting old real quick :p

Gonna rig up a sheet of thin steal 17''x4'' with a handle welded to the front and see if that will help ;)

Pulling the coals back and dropping a bunch on the floor is getting old real quick :p

Gonna rig up a sheet of thin steal 17''x4'' with a handle welded to the front and see if that will help ;)
Try pulling your ash bin out that may help..

Ray

Tried that the other day Ray and this what i got.

Not much catching room and it was just hanging there by an inch or 2..Will explain to my millwright buddy at work tomorrow what i want ;)

Just figured the plate would be quick and easy :)

Picture2614.jpg

Reactions: raybonz
Tell ya one thing Ray..

If it wasnt for you and the rest of the gang here on the board. I'd be having to buy an oil furnace and that would be no fun at all :p

Thanks to all of ya's.

The T5 is fun to run now!

loon

Reactions: Todd 2 and raybonz
There's a learning curve on any new stove. I just assume that now when I am having a problem it's not the stove, it's the nut behind the log.

Been a pleasure reading this thread Ray & Loon, I posted on here over a month ago and still going, and no stove drama - this is a record. lol
I think I'm gonna sell this drama talk causing Hybrid and go back to the PE stove

cast rapped of corse :)

Todd2

Reactions: loon and raybonz
I've enjoyed this post too, but no way I am trading my PH> It's built like a tank, figuratively speaking, beautiful to look at, easy to run. A few kinks, new stove, keeps life interesting, mind engaged. I have no complaints. My home challanges any stove....three stories, more window than wall, cold climate, extreme exposure.

That said, PE thread has been really interesting for me, in part because loon essentially lives next door to me...just a few miles away, also in S Ont lake country, so he has similar heating situation. The stove obviously meets his needs, and also looks nice. Gives good long burn times too.

Ray and loon, how big are your homes?

Reactions: loon
"Hey look, there is no drama in this thread. Let me talk about a completely different stove, how great I think that stove is, and that it is completely unrelated to this thread, so we can fix that..."

Reactions: Todd 2 and loon
There's a learning curve on any new stove. I just assume that now when I am having a problem it's not the stove, it's the nut behind the log.
Very true. I probably burned through an additional cord or two this winter messing with things.

Loon, I might have missed it, but how big is your place? It appears to be an older home, is it drafty at all? You seem to be having really good success with the T5.

One floor 1600sqf with a 4 ft high crawlspace guys :p Said i'd never buy another house with a crawlspace but couldnt say no to this place 12 years ago ;) And it was 15 years old when we got here..The fella that built and lived here was very frugal and went a little nuts with the insulation :)
I still am thinking about having another layer blown in the attic though.

DSC09899-3-1.jpg

Here is my 'coal stopper' but it needs a trimming as i measured the door opening and the coals are flush with the front ==c It will be the same as the right side of picture.

Picture2623.jpg

I've enjoyed this post too, but no way I am trading my PH> It's built like a tank, figuratively speaking, beautiful to look at, easy to run. A few kinks, new stove, keeps life interesting, mind engaged. I have no complaints. My home challanges any stove....three stories, more window than wall, cold climate, extreme exposure.

That said, PE thread has been really interesting for me, in part because loon essentially lives next door to me...just a few miles away, also in S Ont lake country, so he has similar heating situation. The stove obviously meets his needs, and also looks nice. Gives good long burn times too.

Ray and loon, how big are your homes?
Loon and I have the same size homes around 1600 sq. ft. My home is Gambrel style with the 1st floor being planed 4 sides log which offers some mass but not much R-value..

Ray

Reactions: rideau and loon
One floor 1600sqf with a 4 ft high crawlspace guys :p Said i'd never buy another house with a crawlspace but couldnt say no to this place 12 years ago ;) And it was 15 years old when we got here..The fella that built and lived here was very frugal and went a little nuts with the insulation :)
I still am thinking about having another layer blown in the attic though.

Here is my 'coal stopper' but it needs a trimming as i measured the door opening and the coals are flush with the front ==c It will be the same as the right side of picture.
New product "Coal-stopper" ;)

Ray

Reactions: loon and corey21
That "Coal Stopper looks pretty slick Loon, great idea at work there.

LOL you're a funny guy! ==c

Ray

Wonder if i would get nailed with Copyright Infringement bg? ;lol

Here is the done product and gonna let the fire keep going till it starts to get cool in here..11th hour ;)

Sits in there nice, but still gonna hold the handle just in case.

loon

Picture2626.jpg

Reactions: zap
Looks very cozy Loon! Much warmer here than there at the moment and nothing severe forecast for the upcoming week.. Where I'm going I will need AC :)

Ray

Nope we are still not allowed there.. Think it's about time the USA drops the travel restriction to Cuba! Hear it's nice there and close too! We will be in the tropics.. Low temp~ 80 and high temp 95.. Oddly I will miss the wood burning I am crazy lol..

Ray

Reactions: Todd 2 and loon
Nope we are still not allowed there.. Think it's about time the USA drops the travel restriction to Cuba! Hear it's nice there and close too! We will be in the tropics.. Low temp~ 80 and high temp 95.. Oddly I will miss the wood burning I am crazy lol..

Ray

Will keep the T5 cruizen till ya get back ;)

Right on T! If something major happens I showed my 27 yr. old daughter the T5 basics otherwise the oil furnace will be run..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.