Tales from the woods..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MoDoug

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2018
NE Missouri
I'm not a lumberjack, but I think I'm an OK feller. It's obvious which way most trees will fall, but some trees are more challenging. Last week I had a few challenges. The most interesting one was about 10 inches wide and about 50 feet high, with a curve to one side, then one to the other, and a small canopy of branches. I felt like I could drop which way I wanted. To make it more interesting, it was a windy day, swirling from different directions. I decided to drop it north, then I could drag it closer to the road. I made my undercut on the north side of the tree, as I was making my backcut, the tree swayed and grabbed my saw. Another sway and it was released, I pulled the saw out, stood back and watched as my backcut slowly narrowed and reopened. The wind was really playing with it and my head, I got to thinking it wanted to drop to the south, no back to the north, it was on the edge. First thing I did was move my truck, which I'm sure was safe, but I wasn't taking any chances, all the while keeping an untrusting eye on the tree. After watching it for a couple minutes it seemed to want to drop south, so I made a new undercut using the original backcut. Here I am with two notches cut out on opposite sides of a 50 foot tree with about 2 inches of wood holding it up. I stood there close to a minute, watching, wondering what the heck it was going to do, then I heard a snap and it dropped the way I originally wanted. Sadly, after all that, a lot of the center was rotten... LOL...

Lol, cutting in the wind can be exhilarating! I was a timber faller for 20 years and we would go home if the wind was dangerous or no way to let it work for you( bushling wind). One time we had about 4 hours left cutting for a new road through the woods ( called cutting right of way) and the wind was on the verge of blowing trees over but we were over a mile in and needed it done so we finished it. I could feel the root wads picking up under my feet as I was cutting them down. I seen/did some crazy stuff through the years.

Sometimes on a ten inch size tree that needs help with the lean I will put my back cut in first and pick it up a little bit with a wedge and then keep tickling undercuts in until I’ve got the holding wood I want and then finish wedging it over. This is a similar practice to using a jack in a large tree. If you keep your undercut at 1/3 diameter (almost always the best approach) it helps keep the tree from busting off backwards in a situation like you were in.

Lol, cutting in the wind can be exhilarating! I was a timber faller for 20 years and we would go home if the wind was dangerous or no way to let it work for you( bushling wind). One time we had about 4 hours left cutting for a new road through the woods ( called cutting right of way) and the wind was on the verge of blowing trees over but we were over a mile in and needed it done so we finished it. I could feel the root wads picking up under my feet as I was cutting them down. I seen/did some crazy stuff through the years.

I'm definitely a weekender when it comes to this. I bet you have some interesting stories, things I've never considered like having root wads lifting you up, that had to be unnerving. Made for a good story afterwards! LOL

A bunch of years ago I dropped a hickory that ended up being mostly hollow. After the tree hit the ground, a squirrel stumbled out from the trunk like a drunk Scotsman (reference to ). After that, I just smile when weird stuff happens when I have the saw or axe in my hand. Despite the rotten tree, I'm glad things worked out for you.

Reactions: MoDoug
Sometimes on a ten inch size tree that needs help with the lean I will put my back cut in first and pick it up a little bit with a wedge and then keep tickling undercuts in until I’ve got the holding wood I want and then finish wedging it over. This is a similar practice to using a jack in a large tree. If you keep your undercut at 1/3 diameter (almost always the best approach) it helps keep the tree from busting off backwards in a situation like you were in.

This is good stuff, I was hoping someone would offer advice on that situation. I do need to pick up a couple wedges, and learn how to use them... Doing the back cut first, and working as you mentioned is appreciated.

Another one of my challenges last week, fits in very well with your 1/3 diameter undercut approach. I learned that the hard way, except this time I had a hard leaning tree, there was only one way it was going. I made the mistake of making my undercut more than half way, I took out too much and the tree leaned on my blade. This was a good size tree, about 12 inches diameter, and maybe 40 feet long. There was no removing it. Before I disassembled the bar and chain, to put on my spare, I hooked up a chain and a strap to the tree and pulled it enough with my F250 to release my saw. I know it was a potentially dangerous situation with the strap, but it worked. Your 1/3 diameter advice is very sound and will be followed in the future.

A bunch of years ago I dropped a hickory that ended up being mostly hollow. After the tree hit the ground, a squirrel stumbled out from the trunk like a drunk Scotsman. After that, I just smile when weird stuff happens when I have the saw or axe in my hand. Despite the rotten tree, I'm glad things worked out for you.

Thank you Prof! That's a great story, the squirrel had it's cage rattled! LOL Squirrels and I don't like each other, so I would have really enjoyed watching it recover and stumble off. You have to pause and appreciate interesting things when they happen.

BTW, enjoyed the Drunk Scotsman! Won first place! LOL

Reactions: Prof
My brother had a small wind event that dropped some big white pines. One of them was across the driveway to his cabin. It was about 3' at the base but the base was about 30 feet from the driveway. It was around 30" diameter at the driveway and about 3' up off the driveway. When the tree blew over it took the root ball with it which was about 20 feet in diameter. It was safer to make the first cut clear of the root ball so he cut it at the driveway. He has a large Husky with 30" bar that is normally used for a chainsaw mill so he started cutting. from the top and wedged it up. He then started cutting from the bottom assuming it wold drop down. Then the bottom cut started closing up and the wedges on the top loosened up. He then switched back to the top cut and the 30 foot trunk end with the root ball lifted up and stood straight up again. Anyone that didnt not see it happen could not believe it had flipped back up as the ground barely looked disturbed. Of course when they saw it cut straight 30' up they believed it.

• Haha
My brother had a small wind event that dropped some big white pines. One of them was across the driveway to his cabin. It was about 3' at the base but the base was about 30 feet from the driveway. It was around 30" diameter at the driveway and about 3' up off the driveway. When the tree blew over it took the root ball with it which was about 20 feet in diameter. It was safer to make the first cut clear of the root ball so he cut it at the driveway. He has a large Husky with 30" bar that is normally used for a chainsaw mill so he started cutting. from the top and wedged it up. He then started cutting from the bottom assuming it wold drop down. Then the bottom cut started closing up and the wedges on the top loosened up. He then switched back to the top cut and the 30 foot trunk end with the root ball lifted up and stood straight up again. Anyone that didnt not see it happen could not believe it had flipped back up as the ground barely looked disturbed. Of course when they saw it cut straight 30' up they believed it.

That had to really odd for him to experience, and the look on other peoples faces when they realize it did happen! ;lol

Ya, I hated working in blow down. Especially on steep ground and big tall timber. Definitely glad to be out of the industry when I think about it. Just be careful if you try the back cut first. If you misjudge your lean the tree will want to pinch your saw when your putting in your undercut. If you do happen to have one come over on your pinched saw, grab your starter rope and pull it out and get yourself in a safe spot. There’s a split second when it’s falling, it will release your saw, use the starter rope to jerk it to safety. Everything just takes time and practice. I suspect the wind was working for you, not really swirling, and that the tree just leaned back. Hardwoods act a lot different then softwoods. After a few years of every day, cutting them down, the excitement and macho pretty much fizzles away and then it’s just a grind

It was relatively snow motion and definitely a WTF moment.

• Haha
My grandpa used to tell about the time him and his BIL went out to cut down a hollow hickory tree on a cold winter day. They took the .22 along 'just in case'. When the tree hit the ground 4 large raccoons came boiling out! They happily shot them and sold them to the fur buyer for 20 bucks a piece. Back then (70's perhaps?) $80 was worth a lot more than it is now. I'd still be happy with that amount today though!

Ya, I hated working in blow down. Especially on steep ground and big tall timber. Definitely glad to be out of the industry when I think about it. Just be careful if you try the back cut first. If you misjudge your lean the tree will want to pinch your saw when your putting in your undercut. If you do happen to have one come over on your pinched saw, grab your starter rope and pull it out and get yourself in a safe spot. There’s a split second when it’s falling, it will release your saw, use the starter rope to jerk it to safety. Everything just takes time and practice. I suspect the wind was working for you, not really swirling, and that the tree just leaned back. Hardwoods act a lot different then softwoods. After a few years of every day, cutting them down, the excitement and macho pretty much fizzles away and then it’s just a grind

I always thought I would have enjoyed being in the industry. I'm sure it has/had it's moments of simple to very challenging, even downright dangerous. If I had one come down on my saw, I'm not sure I could hang with it long enough to pull it free with the starter rope, my first instinct is to survive. LOL But you never know. As you say time and practice. Appreciate it!

Ya, sorry , my advice should come with a warning sticker. Safety first always. I had the really cool opportunity of working with a bunch of highly skilled guys in old growth for my first 6 years and seen some really cool stuff. I was too young to appreciate it at the time but some things I take for granted are not common knowledge even in the industry these days

No lumberjack here but I've been dropping and bucking firewood for a long time.

I was dropping a small (~12") ant-killed pine tree a while back. It was leaning one way a little and that seemed like the best way to let it go, so I decided to notch it that way. It still had bark all the way around the bottom. I picked two escape routes out of the intended fall zone, more or less both 90°, and started notching.

Well, those of you who caught the "ant killed" in the first line know the next part. I think the bark was all that was holding that tree up, and it broke while I was doing the first cut for the first notch and started falling sideways right at me (and my escape route).

I snatched my saw and ran for the second route. I didn't know until a few seconds later,, but the damn thing snagged at the top, the bottom swung out towards the way it had been falling, and it fell the opposite damn way that it had been falling, right into the second escape route.

The second escape route featured a larger tree that I was able to dive behind. And I got to see that tree falling right towards me.

It wasn't a big tree but it seemed a LOT bigger for a few seconds there.

I won't forget that one any time soon.

• Haha
Thats a good adrenaline rush. I can remember a few times cutting in some rotten old growth patches, basically salvage logging, where similar things like that would happen. I only saw this one particular thing one time but was told about it being common, the big rotten piece of crap would start tipping and buckle up about 20’ and then keep buckling every 20’ or so,looking something like when they blast a building down. Its pretty much luck at that point of wether you or your saw is going to make it out of the strip that day. Not sure why but if memory serves, they called it walking the stairs.

It is threads like these and my own experience felling trees that reminds me how dangerous it is. I have known several men killed by trees, I grew up in a timber growing area. The problem with trees is that no matter how good you are, the unexpected can happen and it could be your final cut. Other than that, I enjoyed your stories, lol. Stay safe!

I’ll try to put some mistakes and tricks on here if you guys want. Off the top of my head, I break a stick and hold it out arms length and put the bottom and the top of the tree at the bottom and top of the stick and I come within a few feet of where the tree will top out

Reactions: neverbilly
I cut down lots of big trees. Just to get my views from my mountaintop here in NC I have cut down over 90 trees, average 95 feet tall and 20 inch diameter.
Just last summer I whacked four big trees to help get my brother his view, the small one was 32 inch diameter and 98 feet tall. The big one was 36 inch diameter. On a steep, 45 degree hillside with a 20 inch bar, it is a tricky and dangerous deal.

One tool I don't go to work without is the plumb bob. Just a 5 foot piece of white kite string with a one ounce steel weight tied to the end.
A great way to tell which way the tree is leaning, I wouldn't crank up my chain saw if I didn't have my plumb bob.

Here’s another trick. For boring. Let’s say you fall a big tree to cut in to firewood. Step back and look for air pockets under the log at spaces close enough that aren’t too heavy to roll. Start at the top with the tip of your bar and draw it down the log and start boring straight through. Put a twist on the motor to keep it from bucking. Once your bored through , carefully finish the cut down leaving all the wood at the top . Then finish the cut. This helps keep your chain out of the dirt. Repeat until you have rollable lengths. Then just roll to get the bottom cuts. Hope that made sense ha ha

Here’s another, if you have a tree set back on your saw and it has to go the way you want it to, it is possible to bore in a little ways so as to make a spot to put a wedge in. No promises but I have rescued a few guys working on a boundary line that way. It does require some healthy beating on the wedge and doesn’t work in really big timber. The same can be done to free up a pinched bar while bucking. Just don’t hit the other bar/chain

No lumberjack here but I've been dropping and bucking firewood for a long time.

I was dropping a small (~12") ant-killed pine tree a while back. It was leaning one way a little and that seemed like the best way to let it go, so I decided to notch it that way. It still had bark all the way around the bottom. I picked two escape routes out of the intended fall zone, more or less both 90°, and started notching.

Well, those of you who caught the "ant killed" in the first line know the next part. I think the bark was all that was holding that tree up, and it broke while I was doing the first cut for the first notch and started falling sideways right at me (and my escape route).

I snatched my saw and ran for the second route. I didn't know until a few seconds later,, but the damn thing snagged at the top, the bottom swung out towards the way it had been falling, and it fell the opposite damn way that it had been falling, right into the second escape route.

The second escape route featured a larger tree that I was able to dive behind. And I got to see that tree falling right towards me.

It wasn't a big tree but it seemed a LOT bigger for a few seconds there.

I won't forget that one any time soon.

jetsam, I react with an LOL because it turns out to be a great story, and thankfully so!