Techniques to mix wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jotul_Rockland

Hearth Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
Connecticut
Hi Guys,

I have about 2 cords of seasoned wood and about 2 cords of unseasoned Maple wood ( 3 months split). Is there any nice technique for me to mix seasoned and unseasoned wood to maximize heat/ efficiency and reduce creosote?

Please advice.

How long and what type of seasoned wood?

The 2 cords of seasoned wood is 80% maple and 20% crab apple seasoned for 9 months. Burns without a problem.

Unseasoned wood - Mostly maple split about 3 months ago.

I'm going to guess that folks here will advise against mixing. What are you burning this wood in - would be good to put that in your signature line?

The best way to maximize heat efficiency and reduce creosote is to save the unseasoned maple for next year.

I would probably split the maple smaller and burn mostly seasoned wood til feb. In feb I would start mixing in the smaller splits of maple. Cross stack the maple in a sunny/windy location.

Understood. If I just use seasoned wood, I'll be out of it by late Jan/ early Feb. My monthly oil heating bill is around $500 :-( Trying to keep the seasoned wood around so that I can get the stove hot and then burn the sub optimal wood.

I tried this yesterday - Had good secondaries going. Can I assume that as long as the secondaries are going - there is little chance of creosote?

Of course I am going to recommend waiting on the unseasoned maple . . . 3 months is a pretty short seasoning time . . . even for something like silver maple.

That said . . . you've got to do what you've got to do to get by . . . best bet if you insist on using less than optimal wood is to perhaps get the stove up to temp with the good stuff and then use the unseasoned wood . . . having some pallets to help you keep the temp up and "dry" the wood out can also be useful . . . watch your glass, temps, smoke or lack thereof in the chimney and be sure to frequently check and clean your chimney -- these are some signs which can let you know if you're burning OK.

If at all possible get your wood now for next year . . . you'll be much, much happier in the long run.

To answer your question . . . secondaries do not always equal into good burning . . . but they are definitely a good sign.

3 months drying is pretty short- especially since the last 3 months were the fall.

If you had 12 and 6 month old wood- maybe mixing in a little of the 6 month would be fine.

If I was you I'd hold that dry wood until nights and the coldest days to maximize effect.

- CT said:
Understood. If I just use seasoned wood, I'll be out of it by late Jan/ early Feb. My monthly oil heating bill is around $500 :-( Trying to keep the seasoned wood around so that I can get the stove hot and then burn the sub optimal wood.

That's how I'd do it.

If you gamble on the wood being that much drier in a month or too (you'll lose), you won't be able to get the stove up to operating temps and you'll struggle for the remainder of the season. Using the dry stuff to get temps high enough, you can then feed it the unseasoned stuff at the rate that won't give the stove indigestion. Good secondaries would be a sign that things are working reasonably well, but you'll still build up more creosote than normal, no getting around that at the temps you'll be firing your insert. You'll have to pay very close attention to everything to determine the best feed rate and the mix proportions, every situation is different.

One of the most frustrating things about burning poorly seasoned wood is how much you need to stay on top of things. Personally, I enjoy the challenge, but then, I'm definitely a couple splits short of a full rick.

I really think you will be wasting your good wood by loosing heat output to rid the moisture from your less seasoned wood. If you are good to Feb then I am sure the outdoor temps will be starting to rise a tad, and less oil will be the result. $500 a month on oil that you guys only pay $3 or less a gallon sounds extreme. Thats allot of oil. Must be quite an old home. Try and burn your good stuff and do some scrounging in the meantime for pallets and lumber scraps. I am sure the $500 A MONTH IS NOT IN YOUR BUDGET and do feel for you. :sick: Hopefully you will end up with a good wood score by then. Until then, keep warm with the good wood and keep your eyes and ears peeled. Good luck and Cheers from the North.

On that maple, it could depend upon what type of maple it is. If it is soft, or red maple, then it might be further along than most but still, 3 months ago means September so that means already into the cooler months so although it is drying, it is drying at a slower rate.

I have a similar situation. I will be out of seasoned wood by end of January at the rate I am going and the colder than usual temps. I have about a cord of well seasoned (3-4 years) red and white oak. I also have about a half cord of mulberry seasoned 9 months. After that, I am out of seasoned, unless I start dipping into my father's pile. I have a tremendous amount of tulip poplar from a tree taken down 9/9/10. Right away, I cut about a cord to smaller splits, anticipating my current issue. Should I try mixing that in now, especially in the more efficient burning stove, to make the seasoned stuff last longer?

Also, I have been slowly working through some woods out back of the new house. Finding some fallen dead. Not sure of the species, but I am thinking I could burn that soon too?

Status
Not open for further replies.