Tesla Model 3 Parked in Our Garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Volvo has been discussing their new electric SUVs today.

This is something that could end up I our stable!

Hi Ashful, I gave my specific examples - please provide your specific examples.
No problem. I can post some numbers tonight, it will be just re-running your math with the $.30/kWh rates a few others here have posted, along with their local gasoline prices. Again, I’m not disagreeing with your conclusion, the EV will almost alway be cheaper to fuel, I think I’ve been consistent in saying that. I’m just stating that very few are getting your $.10 - $.12 / kWh rates, and simultaneously paying the same as you for gas. That is all.

If your electricity price is 20 cents/kWh, then you save less, but you still save compared to gas
What is amusing here is that, while you’re too busy arguing to listen to what I’m saying, I’ve been sitting here agreeing with what you said, all along:
We agree on the conclusion, @DBoon, the EV is almost always going to be cheaper to fuel. We just don’t agree on the exact numbers

I never called my 1/3 fuel cost a minimum, I just gave my real example and my belief that is was typical of what could be had.

You are correct, I apologize. What you said was:

the average driver would save a lot more than 3x on fuel costs.

I made no statements about the relative financial merits of hybrid vs. non-hybrid vehicles, so I'll just assume that this just belongs in another thread.
You seem to assume when I say “on a somewhat related tangent”, that I’m still responding to you. Let me make it clearer for you:

f6dc8557e95f01a9fecb56d9db404248.jpg

my view of hybrids is that they are the most soul-sucking driving experience available, offering none of the fun of a stick-shift gas car or the brutally raw low-speed torque or efficiency of an EV.
Actually, the Volvo I referenced makes 415 hp in hybrid, their best ICE in that model is only 250 hp. I’d take 415 hp in a small sports wagon over your Chevy Bolt, ten times out of ten.

Sure, we can equivocate about maintenance costs. I do know that I won't be paying $60 for a synthetic oil change every 5000 miles (that is $420/year at my rate of 35,000 miles per year), I won't be paying for brake pads, calipers, etc. probably ever. I'll never need a new muffler system ($300-400) or catalytic converter ($800-1000) or spark plugs. The list goes on. I'll need a new set of $600 tires every 50,000 miles or so, I'll need to rotate the tires every 8,000 miles or so - all things that a gas car needs as well. It's not hard to imagine a $1000 reduction in basic maintenance per year for an EV compared to a gas car, based on 35,000 miles of driving per year and based on a 5-6 year vehicle life (I've routinely put 200,000+ miles on my gas cars).

So, $1,400 a year in fuel costs plus $1,000 in maintenance costs per year = $14,400 in savings over a six year period.
All excellent points. Your figures may be a little optimistic (eg. I haven’t had to replace a catalytic converter or muffler on any car I’ve owned made in the last 25 years), but I agree with your overall point.

The debate in the original post was not about a higher-end EV having a lower total ownership cost based on fuel costs alone. ...The debate was about whether an EV cost more per mile to fuel than an efficient electric car (the poster described a hybrid that got a respectable 43 mpg).
Holy crap. The thread is about jebatty’s Tesla Model 3 dual motor EV, not your Chevy Bolt. Yes, it IS about a “higher-end EV”, and the associated cost of ownership.

It is clear - an EV never costs more to fuel compared to a gas car, probably typically costs 1/3 as much, and could cost even less than a 1/3 depending on what gas car you drove before.
Agreed. I was only pointing out that this is not ALWAYS the case for EVERY potential owner. Chill out man, and maybe read twice before jumping to the wrong conclusions about what you think others are saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like most of the country has electrical rates <$.015/kWh. Very few are in the $0.30 range.

Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 10.25.35 AM.png

I suspect that graph must be generation only? I’m 8 cents “price to compare”, but the check I mail every month amounts to more like 19.5 cents per kWh.

That is a tougher one to nail down. The graphic lists us at <$0.09 but after all the trimmings it's more like $0.11. It's also a tiered rate so when consumption is lower, the rate is better.

One good argument @DBoon has been making, I think, is that any fixed portion of the bill should not be used in this particular comparison. You’re paying it anyway, whether you own an EV or not. So, while it’s part of your bill, it’s not part of figuring the differential cost of fueling an EV.

That said, any part of the bill that’s proportional to usage, including a variable rate that goes up with usage, must be considered.

I have never bought a car strictly based on economics, except when I was young and buying used. There are a lot of factors that go into a purchase that are outside of cost. jebatty is experiencing many of the pleasures that come with the Tesla 3 that are intrinsic to the car. We have some of that pleasure with the Volt too. Having just finished a nice trip in it I was reminded about how nice a road car it is. We were in 40+ mph gusts off the coast and never felt them. It was only when I saw the truck in front of me swaying that I was reminded of the wind. My back is fussy. I can be in a luxury car and after an hour my back will start to ache if the seats are too plush. The Volt's seats are on the firm side which is great for me. A car's ergonomics, looks, performance, comfort, cruising silence, serviceability, etc. are all factors that don't necessarily show on the window sticker.

I have never bought a car strictly based on economics, except when I was young and buying used. There are a lot of factors that go into a purchase that are outside of cost.
True 'dat. Each of my motor vehicles have been among the least advantageous economic decisions in my life... but they're a heck of a lot of fun!

Here's an interesting thought exercise. The Tesla Model X Performance costs $108,490 cash deal without autodrive, without any interior upgrades, without any exterior upgrades, just the bare bones Model X Performance. I cannot find any direct numbers on the energy consumption of this particular model, but it is compared (wikipedia) to the P90D and P100D at 0.21 to 0.38 kWh/mi combined. Competing ICE vehicles cost variably $40k - $60k (Jaguar XF Sportbrake, Volvo V60 R-Design, BMW 328i X-drive, Mercedes E-class Wagon TT, Buick Regal Tour-X), all day every day. At 20k mi per year with $.14/kWh, what is the time to amortize the extra $30k - $50k cost of the Tesla, over the luxury class ICE sport wagons?

On a side note (that's like a "tangent", @DBoon), I see that Tesla does NOT show you the actual price of the product you're buying. First they show the price "with potential savings". Then, even if you turn that option off, requesting the real "purchase price", they include a $4500 discount for financing it thru Tesla. You have to really hunt to find the cash price of their cars, as a basis for comparison to other cars, their site appears to make every attempt to hide this number.

Tesla on the minds of the big 3.
Profit is on their minds. SUVs and trucks make the bulk of their sales. This is where the most profit is. The Model X is an easy target. It's quirky, awkward, overpriced, only a 4 seater and not really much of an SUV. The Jaguar iPace and Audi eTron are better SUVs and one doesn't need to be a technotwit to drive one.

Reactions: Ashful
Profit is on their minds. SUVs and trucks make the bulk of their sales. This is where the most profit is. The Model X is an easy target. It's quirky, awkward, overpriced, only a 4 seater and not really much of an SUV. The Jaguar iPace and Audi eTron are better SUVs and one doesn't need to be a technotwit to drive one.
And yet you can’t really take iPace or eTron on a long trip because there is no fast charge network for them.

Or a millionaire. At $108k base price, probably closer to $130k typically configured, the Model X ain’t exactly “the people’s car”.

Or a millionaire. At $108k base price, probably closer to $130k typically configured, the Model X ain’t exactly “the people’s car”.
[/QUOTES
I must be looking at different website. I see base price for the X at 88K. ( not that it makes a huge difference)

Just a quick comparison:
Range— Audi e tron. 204 miles
Jaguar I pace 234 miles
Tesla X 328 miles

Another selling point for Tesla X is free unlimited supercharging.

And yet you can’t really take iPace or eTron on a long trip because there is no fast charge network for them.
Depends on where and how far you are traveling. There are many Fast DC charging networks and the number is growing.

I must be looking at different website. I see base price for the X at 88K. ( not that it makes a huge difference)
That’s because Tesla has perhaps the most deceptive site and pricing in the entire auto industry. They are showing you the price with a $4500 discount for financing it thru Tesla, PLUS “assumed incentives”, for which many Tesla buyers will not qualify. If you turn off the “assumed incentives” it will show $104k, and then if you read the fine print at the bottom of the page you’ll see the $4500 discount for financing. The cash price is $108k, and that’s the number you should be comparing to other vehicles, as any manufacturer will give a ~$5k discount for financing.

Now, whereas I know I can buy almost any other car with MSRP = $108k for under $100k, I am not sure how Tesla plays the “dealer invoice” game, or if I can expect the same discount. It doesn’t really matter, you have to have very little interest in your money to spend that amount for I see as an upper mid-level crossover. Heck, it’s within a few percent of Porsche Panamera or Mercedes AMG pricing!

Last edited:
That’s because Tesla has perhaps the most deceptive site and pricing in the entire auto industry. They are showing you the price with a $4500 discount for financing it thru Tesla, PLUS “assumed incentives”, for which many Tesla buyers will not qualify. If you turn off the “assumed incentives” it will show $104k, and then if you read the fine print at the bottom of the page you’ll see the $4500 discount for financing. The cash price is $108k, and that’s the number you should be comparing to other vehicles, as any manufacturer will give a ~$5k discount for financing.

Now, whereas I know I can buy almost any other car with MSRP = $108k for under $100k, I am not sure how Tesla plays the “dealer invoice” game, or if I can expect the same discount. It doesn’t really matter, you have to have very little interest in your money to spend that amount for I see as an upper mid-level crossover. Heck, it’s within a few percent of Porsche Panamera or Mercedes AMG pricing!
Strange. I have a different internet!! LOL. What I see is cash price of 88 K for base. 105K for performance. Before any incentives.

Strange. I have a different internet!! LOL. What I see is cash price of 88 K for base. 105K for performance. Before any incentives.

Yes, I stated that in my original post:

The Tesla Model X Performance costs $108,490 cash deal without autodrive, without any interior upgrades, without any exterior upgrades, just the bare bones Model X Performance.
The non-Performance model isn’t even a option, IMO, when comparing to other cars in the same price range. And it’s not $105 for the Performance either, that price includes $4500 discount for financing thru Tesla, unless they’ve changed the price in the last 10 days.

That’s because Tesla has perhaps the most deceptive site and pricing in the entire auto industry.
I have to agree. Their marketing was a total turnoff for me. The incentives and savings are relative. They don't apply to everyone due to different financial and charging circumstances.

I have to agree. Their marketing was a total turnoff for me. The incentives and savings are relative. They don't apply to everyone due to different financial and charging circumstances.
That's because you're a critical thinker! Unfortunately this sort of glossing over the numbers works for most folks.

Maybe. My wife would probably say I am more of a critical stinker. :cool:

Overall I like the Mach-E with 2 exceptions: the bulbous nose "pseudo-grille" and the tacked-on look of the LCD panels for both the speedo instrument panel and in particular the honking center panel. Unfortunately, Tesla started a trend with the big center panel and now other car mfgs. are copying it. They look like an afterthought. Even the new Subaru has this, though it is better integrated into the interior design than the Ford or Tesla. Secondly, I adamantly do not like climate controls on a touch panel. The best designs for climate controls are sensibly arranged so that one can quickly locate critical features like defrosting - without taking one's eyes off the road! Tactile cues for the location of controls are great. Some cars even put a raised dot or other cues on key switches to aid the driver. One should not have to take eyes off the road in dense, rush-hour traffic at 65mph during a rainstorm, to figure out how to turn on the defroster as the windshield starts fogging up.

Status
Not open for further replies.