Tesla solar roof

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have to take issue with the generality of this remark.
This is *not* all tech. Transistors (by the billions in your gadgets) have an unprecedented reliability - far outperforming e.g. airplanes (which are also far, far, FAR beyond "80%").
I don't disagree with you.

But you are comparing resistors, cars, and railroads to writing code, and project implementation of said code and or product. Human lives are not on the line in my line of work. If they were, I too wouldn't be okay with 80% either.

80% is good enough is not a new theory. Please see the links below:

BTW - Tesla is raising the costs of their roofs substantially even with people who have signed contracts

The con is Tesla does not give a Powerwall, they retain the rights to dispatch it and get the revenue from the dispatch.

There is zero chance I would purchase one of these tesla roofs. Combining expensive, new electronic technology with roofing materials sounds like a fulfillment of the old saying: a fool and his money are soon parted. What are the chances that the tech will be serviceable or even useable in 10 years? Kind of like 3g phones, etc. For that matter, who's going to be qualified to find and repair a roof leak?

Have your solar company be in touch with your roofing company, so the former can explain to the latter how they want to do things, and the latter can instruct the former if need be.
This is a standard conundrum, and your roofing company will likely have dealt with it before.

Generally if the original roofer was a certified i
Have your solar company be in touch with your roofing company, so the former can explain to the latter how they want to do things, and the latter can instruct the former if need be.
This is a standard conundrum, and your roofing company will likely have dealt with it before.

I am curious, since GAF apparently sells or did sell a integrated solar roof they may not be interested in the competition. Generally on commercial roofs any modifications have to be done by certified installer.

Or the roofing company says they won't give warranty on penetrations made by the solar company, essentially kicking the can (fight) down the road...

i like the idea of an attractive solar shingle roof. the price you quote appears to be very expensive though. i'm also concerned that the product will not be supported in the years to come, or will be replaced with another type and makes yours obsolete (like all tech). would you buy a house with a 15 year old seriously outdated hi-tech roof? i say go asphalt, or metal (or slate!), and add solar separate.

or do what they do in silent green, and hook your bicycle up to the electrical system. if you want light, you need to work for it!

My guess is they are going to hook you on the solar roof and then convince you to go with conventional panels as they are far quicker and more profitable for Tesla.

Our utility company won’t sign a net metering rider for more annual production than you used last year. In the US vehicle to grid is only offer by Ford and require an 80 amp charging circuit be installed.

That have all but given up the solar shingles here.