Texas Boy Fireview installation photos and first burn--

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2008
West Texas
Here's a look at the installation and the first burn--now going on 30 hours. Last photo is at a WS thermometer reading of just over 600. I borrowed our heat gun from work which reads surface temps. The temp on the glass just under the apex of the window is/was 654 just a few minutes ago. The flue pipe read 500.

The photos show the original FP site, the stove placed, the first (and only fire so far) about to be lit, the view through the window (that's Lynda's supper heating up in the pan), the 16 gauge wall shield I picked up today dry fit behind stove, the vent holes at the bottom and the fire (cat in/damper @ 1, then cat in/damper @ about .75) showing a curtain of flame in the top 1/3 of the firebox--when the wood doesn't look like it's burning at all! A little spooky, eh!

Attachments

• IMG_2402.jpg
    IMG_2402.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_2444.jpg
    IMG_2444.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_2450.jpg
    IMG_2450.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_2471.jpg
    IMG_2471.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_2481.jpg
    IMG_2481.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_2484.jpg
    IMG_2484.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_2494.jpg
    IMG_2494.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_2495.jpg
    IMG_2495.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 478
Congrats! Fine looking stove and fire.

Sweet, we have heat!

How did the liner installation go?

BeGreen said:
Sweet, we have heat!

Liner install was somewhat difficult, but the sweeps got it in after a bit of a struggle. I decided to pass on the experience. I took photos from the ground while they worked. I do NOT like that roof! :ahhh:

BTW, shouldn't we have some smileys with 10-gallon hats for us Texas boys to use? Maybe one tipping his hat in thanks? Maybe some more intense terror smileys for those of us with steep roofs and acrophobia? :red:

A BIG TEXAS size THANK YOU to all y'all who had input into the selection and installation of this stove. The information you provided helped to avoid some issues that could have been disastrous. Not having this resource would have caused me to go with the recommendation of the local stove shop, which turned out not to be very safe. You also helped me to find the stove I needed, even though I still think it's too small! When it came right down to it, WoodStock was my only choice, but I didn't know it. Thanks in particular to ol' Bart, who's patience I completely exhausted more than once, but who was invaluable, since he had lived here and knew the conditions.

BTW, Bart, after all the agonizing over floor protection and building a super duper hearth pad and all that, I found out from the builder that underneath that floor tile is 4.5" of concrete, extending over the entire basement. AND after having the 16 gauge wall shield made, it turns out that there is 1/2" of cement board behind the tile facade of the FP. Oh well, I still needed something to do! Guess it would have made sense to check on that a long time ago.

Congrats, looks great. I know the stove may seem small but it packs a big punch, I think it will serve you well.

Texas boy said:
BeGreen said:
Sweet, we have heat!

Liner install was somewhat difficult, but the sweeps got it in after a bit of a struggle. I decided to pass on the experience. I took photos from the ground while they worked. I do NOT like that roof! :ahhh:

BTW, shouldn't we have some smileys with 10-gallon hats for us Texas boys to use? Maybe one tipping his hat in thanks? Maybe some more intense terror smileys for those of us with steep roofs and acrophobia? :red:

Yeah, but only after we have New York Yankee caps on our smileys for us true blue Yankees! :)

Todd said:
Congrats, looks great. I know the stove may seem small but it packs a big punch, I think it will serve you well.

The stove has run for about 48 hours now and had a max of 650 for about 4 hours. Y'think anything might have been damaged? It's cooling off now 'cause I have work to do on the chimney cap. That secondary burn stuff is intriguing. It's kind of hypnotising if you're not careful, at least I thought so. I laid down on the floor and looked around in the firebox with the hand torch and found the grill work where the smoke goes up into the cat (I guess that's what it is!) and it was glowing a fairly bright red. The top flame seemed to range from a dull yellow, to orange to blue and looked like an aurora and seemed to be there when the wood below didn't have an active flame.

I sure hope this stove is large enough. This initial burn has not helped to figure our need for heat yet , but in the connected/open aeas it will really run the heat up. It's the overall square footage where I think it will have trouble producing enough heat for us to circulate and keep it reasonable. That's where I anticipate the mass and output of their new stove to make the difference. My guess is that when the OS temps fall into the 20s and remain there, the stove will struggle to maintain the house at 65-70, but we shall see.

BTW, the wall shield will be painted the same color as the stove frame.

Now that looks Superb! :)

I really like that set-up.

Texas boy said:
Todd said:

The stove has run for about 48 hours now and had a max of 650 for about 4 hours. Y'think anything might have been damaged? It's cooling off now 'cause I have work to do on the chimney cap. That secondary burn stuff is intriguing. It's kind of hypnotising if you're not careful, at least I thought so. I laid down on the floor and looked around in the firebox with the hand torch and found the grill work where the smoke goes up into the cat (I guess that's what it is!) and it was glowing a fairly bright red. The top flame seemed to range from a dull yellow, to orange to blue and looked like an aurora and seemed to be there when the wood below didn't have an active flame.

I sure hope this stove is large enough. This initial burn has not helped to figure our need for heat yet , but in the connected/open aeas it will really run the heat up. It's the overall square footage where I think it will have trouble producing enough heat for us to circulate and keep it reasonable. That's where I anticipate the mass and output of their new stove to make the difference. My guess is that when the OS temps fall into the 20s and remain there, the stove will struggle to maintain the house at 65-70, but we shall see.

The thing that worries me about your initial burn is that the mortar and stone have moisture in them and if you heat it up to fast and hot it may crack or break if the moisture creates pressure. A scary thing happened to me on my 2nd break in fire, A chunk of soapstone about the size of a quarter popped out the side stone inside the fire box. I heard a loud pop and looked inside and saw the hole and chunk of stone. Thankfully it didn't pass all the way through. You may be fine since you brought it up slow, but I'd inspect the mortar seams and stones inside the fire box.

Remember this stove is a space heater and you won't have even heat through out your house, it will be hotter in the stove room but fans sitting on the floor pointed towards the stove room will help push that cooler denser air towards the stove and force the warm air to wrap up around to replace it.

That ghostly flame sounds typical of a low burn and is the most efficient burn for this stove. Take it easy and figure the stove out, there will be some trial and error.

Yup. It looks good to me.

Texas boy said:
BeGreen said:
Sweet, we have heat!

Here you go Terry. Take your pick.

cowboy_bighat.gif

cowboy_arrow-1.gif

Cowboy.gif

Todd said:
Texas boy said:
Todd said:

The thing that worries me about your initial burn is that the mortar and stone have moisture in them and if you heat it up to fast and hot it may crack or break if the moisture creates pressure. A scary thing happened to me on my 2nd break in fire, A chunk of soapstone about the size of a quarter popped out the side stone inside the fire box. I heard a loud pop and looked inside and saw the hole and chunk of stone. Thankfully it didn't pass all the way through. You may be fine since you brought it up slow, but I'd inspect the mortar seams and stones inside the fire box.

Remember this stove is a space heater and you won't have even heat through out your house, it will be hotter in the stove room but fans sitting on the floor pointed towards the stove room will help push that cooler denser air towards the stove and force the warm air to wrap up around to replace it.

That ghostly flame sounds typical of a low burn and is the most efficient burn for this stove. Take it easy and figure the stove out, there will be some trial and error.

Todd: Just curious - did you repair the stove and if so how? Did you contact Woodstock? My guess is the stone was probably stressed in that part of the stove before you even fired it up.

fire_man said:
Todd said:
Texas boy said:
Todd said:

Todd: Just curious - did you repair the stove and if so how? Did you contact Woodstock? My guess is the stone was probably stressed in that part of the stove before you even fired it up.

I contacted WS about it and they said if it didn't start a crack or go all the way through that inner 3/4" stone wall it will probably be fine and it has been for 5 years. I smeared furnace cement in it once but it just fell out.

Backwoods Savage said:
Texas boy said:
BeGreen said:
Sweet, we have heat!

Here you go Terry. Take your pick.

cowboy_bighat.gif

cowboy_arrow-1.gif

Cowboy.gif

I definitely like the first and last ones. They are great!! 'Ceptin' the first feller must only be a half-pint if that's a 10-gallon hat. Looks more like a 30-gallon. I'm kinda th' Dan Blocker type. I NEED a big hat like he did. Y'know Blocker was from O'Donnell, just about 30 miles down th' road south of here. Town can be walked end to end in 10 minutes, IF y'piddle! I was just there a week or so ago. That's where part of Batch "A" of my wood is.

Status
Not open for further replies.