Thank you hurricane irene

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TK-421

Oct 1, 2011
Eastern CT
I'm a mod on would you believe it, a Star Wars forum. :)

I don't like to join a forum and just take so heres a little give back to those that are helping me with my stove upgrade. Still torn between the Jotul f600 and liberty. Jotul is in the lead.

3ea1abd9.jpg

Hurricane irene was kind enough to take down our neighbor's 150' oak that brought down five more of similar size and a pine. Tey landed on my property line and took out both our power lines. Since the power company would need to remove them all just to get to the lines I asked my neighbor of the vacant cottage next door if he would mind me cleaning it up. :). Free wood is always a good thing. Most of this pile is already cut down. I was about 10' in the air when I started. This pic I think I'm up about 6'.

It's great to have a pile of wood so close to your house.

Despite all of the damage the storm caused and the unfortunate people, every cloud does have a silver lining. Nice score!

Nice trees! I don't envy all the limbing you have to do on those bad boys though

I know what you mean. we had a straight line/shear force wind that knocked out trees and power lines and wrecked or damaged a lot of homes this last spring and the clean-up is still in progress. County, city and professional crews were stressed to answer all the calls. I helped remove downed trees to clear the way for the power company at one residence and was given the wood. Some of it was very good btu wood that will take a while to season. Some were dead and went to the ready soon or ready now pile. Sooo many people were just glad to get the "stuff" out of the way so they could start getting their life back together. Recently I have been working a wooded lot that the owners just want cleaned up of the mess that was made. A lot of this is work I would have done anyway but to someone elses profit and for my savings. Now it's making a win/win circumstance out of a bad situation beyond our control. All the regret a person can experience will not change what happened. The wood was not free but the work to get it was to a mutual benefit rather than just a personal benefit. Saturday a freind of mine and a couple of his work buddies are going out to gather some wood from some dead standing and dead and down from the storm to help replenish an ex-coworkers, who has lupus, wood supply. For them it will be a couple of hours work that could have easily been weeks in happening because the supply is rather large at hand. If we had not had the tools some one else might have. If we had not escaped we might have been the victim. Certainly we do not look forward to these things but neither will we kick the good that has happened out in to the street. We can all say ouch but we can also say thanks! It's kind of like those who were hurting helped me while I was trying to help them. That's great!

Wood Duck said:
It's great to have a pile of wood so close to your house.

You have no idea. The tree tops were within 3' of my woodpile.

As for limbing. It looks bad but these trees were dense so they were searching for the sun and got tall with no branches but for the very top. I had most of it cut up within 4-5 hours.

TK-421 said:
I'm a mod on would you believe it, a Star Wars forum. :)

I don't like to join a forum and just take so heres a little give back to those that are helping me with my stove upgrade. Still torn between the Jotul f600 and liberty. Jotul is in the lead..

may the Jotul be with you....

C'mon, a 150' oak in Connecticut? What are they feeding it, the same stuff Barry Bonds took?

Coonecticut's tallest trees:

White pine 144.6’ 11’ 3.5†Gold’s Pines NAP (S), West Cornwall, Litchfield Co.

Tuliptree 127.8’ 11’ 3.5†Gold’s Pines NAP (S), West Cornwall, Litchfield Co.

Sycamore 113.4’ 7’ 11.0†Simsbury, Hartford Co.

Firefighterjake: I have something here for you. Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough, but your uncle wouldn't allow it. He feared you might follow old Firefighterjake on some damn fool idealistic crusade like your father did.

TK-421: What is it?

Firefighterjake: Your father's Jotul. This is the stove of a Jedi Wood Burner. Not as ugly or hideous looking as a Blaze King; an elegant stove for a more civilized age. For over a thousand generations . . . or rather for a very long time, the Jedi Wood Burners were the guardians of warmth and heat in the Old Republic. Before the dark times... before The Winter of 2012.

peterc38 said:
C'mon, a 150' oak in Connecticut? What are they feeding it, the same stuff Barry Bonds took?

For real. I'm going off our property sizes. Each of our lots is one acre. 100' by around 400' deep. The first to go down was halfway across my neighbors two over. It completely crossed my neighbors lot and just started to come onto our lot.

TK-421 said:
peterc38 said:

For real. I'm going off our property sizes. Each of our lots is one acre. 100' by around 400' deep. The first to go down was halfway across my neighbors two over. It completely crossed my neighbors lot and just started to come onto our lot.

@FFJAKE. NICE ONE. :)

I did a quick search and it looks like you're right. They were in a tangled mess and it appeared all the trunks made it to our line. They went down like dominoes and each was a bit smaller. Not one of them had a fat trunk. They were fast growers with thin trunks and few branches. They were tall.

But did I tell you how big the fish was that I caught in the lake behind me. ROFL :)

the average length of a average man's stride is three feet.
You might want to walk it out.

There were a bunch of big trees. Who really cares how tall (now long) they are/were. You scored a bunch of prime wood super close to home with no damage to your house. That's what's important.

Status
Not open for further replies.