Thankful for good neighbors/friends

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stump_Branch

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2010
MD
This holiday I have to be thankful for some good friends of mine. They arent really neighbors but we both talk as if we helping each other out, young homeowners and all. I recently had to break down and buy wood. I bought a cord from a rather reputable place, however the wood was way too large (they has outdoor boilers so for them it doesnt matter. But when I finally got back home to begin spilting to size and stacking, I am noticing the wood is almost as green as the wood I cut a few months ago. I bought the wood not because I need wood but because I needed seasoned firewood to burn. Chaulk it up to inexpirence but the wood is unburnable. Thankfully my friends who gave me some chunk wood and uglies early on agreed to give me a small supply of their 2 year seasoned oak so when I have family over I can at least make them comfortable in my unfinished house. Of course its not entirely free as i now owe them a chimney scrubbing but ill be more then happy to return such a great favor.

I hope that during these holidays, no matter your situation, you have the time to think about all of the people that have done good by you over the year. I cherish these friends and thankful I have them. I simply cant say enough good things today after such a difficult year.

It s good to have friends and neighbors who help you out. I am glad you at least have wood for company.

If you can you should see about trading them your green wood for their seasoned wood if they don't need it this year. I am doing that with a buddy of mine who did the same thng as you, bought unseasoned "seasoned" wood.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

shawneyboy said:
If you can you should see about trading them your green wood for their seasoned wood if they don't need it this year.

Ding, ding, ding!

BUT to keep it fair - make sure you trade apples for apples. If he is giving you 2 year seasoned oak and you are giving him unseasoned maple, make up for it in a bit of volume (maple does not have the BTU of White Oak). This will just keep everybody happy in the end.

Note: And ONLY if this will not put HIM in a bind.

Amen!

Don't matter what time of year it is, there is much to be thankful for.

Recently I am stuck obsessing over one miserable freaking prick that is being a real PITA. Unfortunatly sometimes we let one jerk steal our focus from a whole bunch of other peeps that live out in the real world and a great people.

I'm thankful the weeks half over. I'm also thankful everyone else I've dealt with this week has been great!

Rock on!!

Stump_Branch said:
This holiday I have to be thankful for some good friends of mine. They arent really neighbors but we both talk as if we helping each other out, young homeowners and all. I recently had to break down and buy wood. I bought a cord from a rather reputable place, however the wood was way too large (they has outdoor boilers so for them it doesnt matter. But when I finally got back home to begin spilting to size and stacking, I am noticing the wood is almost as green as the wood I cut a few months ago. I bought the wood not because I need wood but because I needed seasoned firewood to burn. Chaulk it up to inexpirence but the wood is unburnable. Thankfully my friends who gave me some chunk wood and uglies early on agreed to give me a small supply of their 2 year seasoned oak so when I have family over I can at least make them comfortable in my unfinished house. Of course its not entirely free as i now owe them a chimney scrubbing but ill be more then happy to return such a great favor.

I hope that during these holidays, no matter your situation, you have the time to think about all of the people that have done good by you over the year. I cherish these friends and thankful I have them. I simply cant say enough good things today after such a difficult year.

Great post!

Stump_Branch you are well on your way to becoming an expert. Good friends are hard to beat.

An Up-date: In-laws are up for the holiday with grandmother in-law in tow. I have been apprehensive about this as parts of the house still remain unfinished. Now they understand us being young and renovating etc. but still leaves me unsettled.

Stove report:
Thankfully due to the help of friends and family the stove went into game time with real nice wood, clean glass, and a clean hearth. Wife had off the day they arrived and had the stove at cruising temps all day. I came home to everyone gathered in the stove room commenting on how nice the house looked and in particular my recently finished hearth and stove. They also spoke of how warm they were. I had the stove cruising over the entire extended weekend, she performed flawlessly, might even give her the game ball. The stove room did get uncomfortable one night, got up to about 78 (it’s a large room and thermostat boarders an un-insulated wall, so who knows how accurate). (I was able to insulate part of the room before everyone got there and saw a dramatic improvement). Other family and friends have been over and everyone had commented on the heat and awesome secondary combustion. Now they didn’t know what it was till I got to stand on the soapbox, but they loved how beautiful it looked.

One negative is I now realize how anal I am about other people running the stove…although it’s nice to regurgitate information learned here and educate others on how to properly operate. For example my sister and husband are now going to buy a wood stove and I have been able to steer them in a more informed direction then when I began my quest and before I found this site.
Thanks to all those who allowed me (and the stove) to look like a Hero.

Stump_Branch said:

I hereby give you the title - "Captain Colonial". You will receive your ring in the mail, once I get the $15.00 S&H fees.

Oh and I will Post some pictures of said hearth in the hearthroom...whenever I can get around to it...

Happy New Year

Will be watching for the pictures Stump_Branch. Happy to hear the family get-together worked out well. You also need to turn those folks on for logging in to hearth.com.

Jags said:
Stump_Branch said:

I hereby give you the title - "Captain Colonial". You will receive your ring in the mail, once I get the $15.00 S&H fees.

Only if its mood/decoder ring

Backwoods, it was nice to get family together..even the in-laws!...

I went on and on about this site to brother in-law, (actually a pretty good guy), Sister, and Dad I told them thats how I have been able to gather up all this information and provide them with good brands to look at when purchasing their own. i.e. not to make the same mistakes I have. I have beeen enlisted to help him with his install. Can't wait really.

Hope all of your holidays passed by as Warm as mine.

Sweet! And speaking of warm Holidays, you should have a very warm New Year's Day.

Stump_Branch said:

Its better than that - its a cheap Chinese knock off of the ring that Underdog uses.

Jags said:
Stump_Branch said:

Its better than that - its a cheap Chinese knock off of the ring that Underdog uses.

:lol: watch out for lead or cadmium plating then.....

Jags said:
Stump_Branch said:

would match the chinese made stove I have......

Status
Not open for further replies.