Thanks! I would have never thought of scrounging

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
Been a wood burner my whole life and have always cut my own wood. Over the years I have taken atvantage of neighbors trees that needed cut (technically scrounging) but have never thought of driving the alleys around town, checking CL, or just stopping and asking if I can have a tree that is being cut. I have also had the issue over the years od falling behind on wood as our cutting season doesn't open until May, so getting it c/s/s in time to dry was futile at best. Until I came to this site! I now have 4-5 cord of wood that I have not had to travel more than 15 miles from the house for. It's all c/s/s and will be ready. A good mix of Olive, Maples,Walnut and Elm.

Welcome to your newest obsession, lol!
When I was thinking of getting a wood-burning insert I wasn't really sure how I'd get wood here in a city. Seeing how many others do it on this site convinced me it was possible & once I started I quickly realized just how much good heating fuel is taken out of my neighborhood, chipped & hauled to the dump every year. It feels great to divert some of that into my stove for free heat!

This is my first year as well. I dont have a woodstove yet but have cut 4 pickup loads so far. Hope to be ready next winter. My local DNR office sold my buddy two permits for two different State owned propertys tbat they had tress they want removed. For 10 bucks a permit we must have 50 truck loads of wood we can cut down and haul. I dont know if they have that in your area but it may be worth a phone call.

I have 3 loads of Black Locust with at least 80 trees that are still standing. The other plot , the trees are already down, a lot of Ash and Box Elder but we are concentrating on the Ash only for now.

smoker62 said:
This is my first year as well. I dont have a woodstove yet but have cut 4 pickup loads so far. Hope to be ready next winter. My local DNR office sold my buddy two permits for two different State owned propertys tbat they had tress they want removed. For 10 bucks a permit we must have 50 truck loads of wood we can cut down and haul. I dont know if they have that in your area but it may be worth a phone call.

What state are you in?

Its amazing what you can find just by stopping and asking sometimes. Just the other day, my one buddy was driving on a local backroad when he came across a tree company subbed by the power company, clearing for a new line. He asked what they were doing with the wood (maple, ash, oak). Next thing you know he has around 10 cord of logs laying in his driveway.....FOR FREE!! I just missed on that scrounge, lucky bugger........

wingsfan said:
smoker62 said:

What state are you in?

It says Wisconsin in his information list

PA. Woodsman said:
wingsfan said:
smoker62 said:

What state are you in?

It says Wisconsin in his information list

I guess I sould have seen that, duh.

Status
Not open for further replies.