• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Marc S.

Nov 8, 2019
Cincinnati Ohio
Made my first post yesterday on an issue I was having with my Harman Absolute 43 cycling into and out of ignite mode. I reviewed some threads and checked my manual but couldn’t find a similar problem and/or solution. Someone made a post about not liking the 43 and initially I was questioning my purchase but the problems were mostly operatory error and not properly scraping the carbon off of the burn pot. I purchased one of the first year 43s and they did have an issue with the burn pot; it was replaced on warranty. I am on the 4th year and, I hope I’m not shooting myself in the foot, have never had to replace an igniter. I’m not a fan of the pellet hopper; when it gets lower the pellets sometime have to be “coaxed’ down. I also have an issue with the glass getting dirty. All and all though we really love the stove, the looks and it “fits” with the house décor.

Jackman made a suggestion and since I could find an exact corrective solution to my problem I started messing with my settings. My stove has an electronic setting panel and I have kept it on room temperature. I do not use a remote thermostat and I don’t remove the probe outside of the stove. My house is approx 1100 1200 ranch. Since the issue usually started when temps got below freezing I decided to try the constant mode. I see people talking about Room Temp and Stove Temp; I have a room temp setting and a constant mode setting, no stove temp setting. I set my constant mode setting to 3 and feed rate at 40%; the house turned into a sauna. I changed that constant mode setting to 1 (lowest) and left the feed rate at 40 %. It is about 25 outside and the house is about 72 or 73. The previous winters with the stove on room temp mode the back of the house would not stay that warm and we would put a small electric heater in our bedroom. Two other things I have noticed is that you don’t use more pellets on constant mode, or it doesn’t appear to and the glass stays cleaner for a longer period of time.
I am a big proponent of keeping the stove clean; I think that is where people have a lot of problems. One thing I do is every time or at least every other time I do pot scrape/pan dumps is take my brush and run it around the end of the flue.

I thank people for their previous posts and Jackman for his suggestion. Even though there is not a lot of info on the 43 there are basics that you can trial an error with which I think I have found a solution to my problem.

Reactions: Tonyray
Made my first post yesterday on an issue I was having with my Harman Absolute 43 cycling into and out of ignite mode. I reviewed some threads and checked my manual but couldn’t find a similar problem and/or solution. Someone made a post about not liking the 43 and initially I was questioning my purchase but the problems were mostly operatory error and not properly scraping the carbon off of the burn pot. I purchased one of the first year 43s and they did have an issue with the burn pot; it was replaced on warranty. I am on the 4th year and, I hope I’m not shooting myself in the foot, have never had to replace an igniter. I’m not a fan of the pellet hopper; when it gets lower the pellets sometime have to be “coaxed’ down. I also have an issue with the glass getting dirty. All and all though we really love the stove, the looks and it “fits” with the house décor.

Jackman made a suggestion and since I could find an exact corrective solution to my problem I started messing with my settings. My stove has an electronic setting panel and I have kept it on room temperature. I do not use a remote thermostat and I don’t remove the probe outside of the stove. My house is approx 1100 1200 ranch. Since the issue usually started when temps got below freezing I decided to try the constant mode. I see people talking about Room Temp and Stove Temp; I have a room temp setting and a constant mode setting, no stove temp setting. I set my constant mode setting to 3 and feed rate at 40%; the house turned into a sauna. I changed that constant mode setting to 1 (lowest) and left the feed rate at 40 %. It is about 25 outside and the house is about 72 or 73. The previous winters with the stove on room temp mode the back of the house would not stay that warm and we would put a small electric heater in our bedroom. Two other things I have noticed is that you don’t use more pellets on constant mode, or it doesn’t appear to and the glass stays cleaner for a longer period of time.
I am a big proponent of keeping the stove clean; I think that is where people have a lot of problems. One thing I do is every time or at least every other time I do pot scrape/pan dumps is take my brush and run it around the end of the flue.

I thank people for their previous posts and Jackman for his suggestion. Even though there is not a lot of info on the 43 there are basics that you can trial an error with which I think I have found a solution to my problem.
Do you ever try the calibration mode, do you understand it? You might have read my posts on this model. I use a extended wire for the thermostat probe. I set my rate @ 49% using the scheduling to keep my temperatures down while at work and for sleeping. I feel this takes less pellets. But this stove is a better then my Accentra which I had for several years.

Do you ever try the calibration mode, do you understand it? You might have read my posts on this model. I use a extended wire for the thermostat probe. I set my rate @ 49% using the scheduling to keep my temperatures down while at work and for sleeping. I feel this takes less pellets. But this stove is a better then my Accentra which I had for several years.
Fender, been busy sorry. I have not messed with the Calibration and I do not use the schedule. I have watched a few videos but not sure on the concept. I saw were mine is set at 40lbs ( i think my hopper actually hold 55 lbs and it was set on +1. Just for the hell of it I set it at 0 but I have no idea what that actually does. Do you have some tutoring for me? :)