The dollar bill test..............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCPO

Minister of Fire
............yeah, I`ve always known about it for years but since my stoves were usually new and I never had cause to think about it up until I noticed a small amount of creosote in a corner.
I`m looking for opinions on this.
I can slide the bill out (although it is quite snug) wherever I place it on the door perimeter. Does this mean air is leaking in?
Maybe I just ought to replace it to be sure. The stove is 6 years old.

Hey, just because I`m a *Pyro Extraordinaire* doesn`t mean I know it all. All it means is I`ve posted at least 1000 times.

you should be able to slide it out....should be snug though. its kinda a "feel' type of thing.

I save the dollar bills for the "mr happies"(strip club). I use plain note paper and I want it to ripe. If it slides out, Adjust door or replace seal.

Seems there are multiple ways to test the seals. Pook would fill the stove with smoke and look for leakage.

Whatever works best for ya!

OK, Thanks guys.

Darn I missed the Know It All part. I prefer to refer it as a Mr. Smarty Pants myself. :cheese:

Just kidding. Let us know how you make out.

Take care and stay warm.
jay

jtakeman said:
Darn I missed the Know It All part. I prefer to refer it as a Mr. Smarty Pants myself. :cheese:

Take care and stay warm.
jay

Ha, ha ,ha. The truth is I probably do come across as a smart a$$ at times.
And I actually hesitated to ask this question but googling * stove door dollar bill test* results say that if you can pull the bill thru you need to replace the gasket. Mine was knida tight but it pulled thru so I was just looking for a little more clarification or experience from others .
I guess it`s gonna be OK for this year anyway.
Snowing like hell here in western ma right now.

Gio said:
jtakeman said:

Take care and stay warm.
jay

Ha, ha ,ha. The truth is I probably do come across as a smart a$$ at times.
And I actually hesitated to ask this question but googling * stove door dollar bill test* results say that if you can pull the bill thru you need to replace the gasket. Mine was knida tight but it pulled thru so I was just looking for a little more clarification or experience from others .
I guess it`s gonna be OK for this year anyway.
Snowing like hell here in western ma right now.

Nawh, Just messing with ya, Your one of the good guys around here and I know it!

Snowing here too! A little to early for me but the kid loves it. Stove is keeping me warm. Got a couple of cold sammies=I'm good.

Have you tried the standard paper? A good seal will grab and tear it. I never did try pooks trick.

Gio said:
.......if you can pull the bill thru you need to replace the gasket...........Snowing like hell here in western ma right now.

Gio, try the dollar bill test while the stove is running......works better. :lol:

And yes, the snow is really coming down here in the Hudson valley...I have about 2 1/2" here so far, and it's sticking to the road & driveway too. 33 °F outside right now, heading down to 28 tonight.

34°F still not sticking to the roads yet. Trees and grass just starting to get white. So I guess it's here we go! I hate that dang shovel!

macman said:
Gio said:
.......if you can pull the bill thru you need to replace the gasket...........Snowing like hell here in western ma right now.

Gio, try the dollar bill test while the stove is running......works better. :lol:

And yes, the snow is really coming down here in the Hudson valley...I have about 2 1/2" here so far, and it's sticking to the road & driveway too. 33 °F outside right now, heading down to 28 tonight.

Yes, I did it while the stove was running.
Regarding jays last post: If I try pooks testing methods I`d probably end up having to sleep in a motel till the house gets rebuilt .

I gotta start proof reading my posts. I just reread where it was tight when I pulled it out. That remark might get some folks excited. I apologize. I know at my age it can be dangerous.

Gio said:
I gotta start proof reading my posts. I just reread where it was tight when I pulled it out. That remark might get some folks excited. I apologize. I know at my age it can be dangerous.

:lol:

Gio said:
.....might get some folks excited. I apologize. I know at my age it can be dangerous.

MIGHT get folks excited?? Heck, I'm already having a cigarette!! :lol: (and i don't even smoke!)

macman said:
Gio said:
.....might get some folks excited. I apologize. I know at my age it can be dangerous.

MIGHT get folks excited?? Heck, I'm already having a cigarette!! :lol: (and i don't even smoke!)

I ordered some popcorn and another sammy, Might get to be fun in a minute here! :lol:

jtakeman said:
macman said:
Gio said:

I ordered some popcorn and another sammy, Might get to be fun in a minute here! :lol:

I'm getting sleepy..................nnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggg :p

macman said:
jtakeman said:
macman said:
Gio said:

.......popcorn???...... u guys gonna watch some re-runs??! :p

CanadaClinker said:
macman said:
jtakeman said:
macman said:
Gio said:

.......popcorn???...... u guys gonna watch some re-runs??! :p

Hey Moe wake curly up would ya. Where's the other one hiding?

Yep reruns of the stoogies I take it!

nnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg...UH? Wha? Where am i? Ohhhhhhhhh........hey, how did this Bud Light get in my hand????? :smirk:

Where's Shemp?

Status
Not open for further replies.