The Drake Hardware Co. Friendship NY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

devinsdad

Hearth Supporter
Sep 25, 2009
northern NY
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this stove or the company. Google didn't turn up much info. We acquired it with the purchase of the home. We don't burn it though the previous owners did. there are some galvanized patches on the oval stove pipe sheet screwd in place
(unsafe?) and the chimney looks as though it is a custom triple wall at least above the roof?! :gulp: :bug:

Attachments

• 256a.jpg
    256a.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 818
Nice. I don't know anything about the stove, but ran a wood cookstove when I lived in CT and loved it. You are right to be sure it's in good working condition and safely installed. Hopefully yes. Do a careful check of the insides too, especially the firebox. If any of the smoke passages are rusted out, best not to run it. I'm wondering if this stove is set up for coal. Are there shaker grates under the firebox?

If the stove passes muster, it can be a nice source of warmth and function. A good cookstove, once you get the hang of running one, can be the heart of the home.

There is shaker grates what does this mean? I know I am missing the water reservoir :down:

Shaker grates are generally for coal burning - though some multi fuel stoves come with them and people burn wood on top of them too.

Hope it works out - would be a neat stove to have running if all you needed to do was replace some pipe.

devinsdad said:
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this stove or the company. Google didn't turn up much info. We acquired it with the purchase of the home. We don't burn it though the previous owners did. there are some galvanized patches on the oval stove pipe sheet screwd in place
(unsafe?) and the chimney looks as though it is a custom triple wall at least above the roof?! :gulp: :bug:

Lovely. Don't know anything about it myself but here's another resource for you:

http://www.bryantstove.com/

It's not that far from me so I have been there several times. Bought my grates from them although -my stove is maine made and a brand they deal with- but they would definitely have the ovalized stove pipe. They restore stoves and are very friendly, I'm sure they would speak with you on how to inspect the stove for safety.
There is also some operating instructions for cookstoves on the website and eye candy. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.