The fan on the floor trick OVERFIRE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I disagree.
Your prerogative...I hear ignorance is bliss...

If this was the cause, you should be able to duplicate the problem again...and then make it come and go with the operation, or not, of the fan...bet my bottom dollar it can't be done.

There are thousands of people here that have spent years and years (that's probably millions of hours of total run time) with a fan running in the back of the house to circulate air...and never a problem.

Your prerogative...I hear ignorance is bliss...

If this was the cause, you should be able to duplicate the problem again...and then make it come and go with the operation, or not, of the fan...bet my bottom dollar it can't be done.

There are thousands of people here that have spent years and years (that's probably millions of hours of total run time) with a fan running in the back of the house to circulate air...and never a problem.
Have you ever sat around for hours apon hours and operated a Navigator Stove Works NSW2 LITTLE COD? Because I HAVE!

What vent? I had a chimney company come out. I have an insulated 4” liner.

Please explain how this is more dangerous than the heatilator making my wooden walls too hot to touch.
It is not more dangerous at all. But still not safe especially when you get the pipe glowing.

That only happened once, when the floor fan was on..................,,,
Yes I know it only happened once. But it doesn't matter that dangerous flaw needs fixed. The wood has clearly already been pyrolized which means the ignition point is very low.

Yes I know it only happened once. But it doesn't matter that dangerous flaw needs fixed. The wood has clearly already been pyrolized which means the ignition point is very low.

There's a misunderstanding here. The vent only pyrolized the wood when the actual heatilator fireplace was used to heat the house. This does not happen with the small stove.

Reactions: TWilk117
There's a misunderstanding here. The vent only pyrolized the wood when the actual heatilator fireplace was used to heat the house. This does not happen with the small stove.
No I understand completely. And it needs to be fixed. It probably will never get hot enough running the stove but it certainly is possible

Reactions: SpaceBus
No I understand completely. And it needs to be fixed. It probably will never get hot enough running the stove but it certainly is possible
I understand that it should be fixed, especially for in the event of some future person that may live in this house could use the fireplace and have a problem. I’m not too worried about that right now. I’m only 36 and not planning on going anywhere.

With the stove running wide open the pipe doesn’t turn red and the vent barley gets warm.

Have you ever sat around for hours apon hours and operated a Navigator Stove Works NSW2 LITTLE COD? Because I HAVE!
Nope...never even heard of one before...and it matters not here.
The fact is that running a fan in the back of the house blowing cool air in the general direction of the stove WILL NOT affect the stove...no matter the make or model...those are the facts...and facts are stubborn things...but its obvious that you are going to believe whatever you want, no matter how much sound advice is given you...so I'm done replying here. Good luck with your new stove.

I apologize for being abrasive. I’m tired of people assuming they know me and my house and my stove better than I do. I’m not an idiot, but I appreciate the things I learn from the kind folks on here.

Last edited:
Nope...never even heard of one before...and it matters not here.
The fact is that running a fan in the back of the house blowing cool air in the general direction of the stove WILL NOT affect the stove...no matter the make or model...those are the facts...and facts are stubborn things...but its obvious that you are going to believe whatever you want, no matter how much sound advice is given you...so I'm done replying here. Good luck with your new stove.
“The back of the house” isn’t far away from the stove. The stove is in the center of the house. My doors and windows are the old original ones. Drafty. My house also is sitting on the side of a glacieral ravine. Next to a large creek/pond. And an up hill giant solar farm is northeast of me. I have an extremely good draft in a drafty old house. The fan OBVIOUSLY added to the scenario..
I don’t know what else I can say. I appreciate your thoughts and input.
The reason I posted this thread in the first place was just to warn folks that may be in a similar circumstance. Whatcha your stove and the pipes when adding new variables to the equation..

Reactions: bholler
I apologize for being abrasive. I’m tired of people assuming they know me and my house and my stove better than I do. I’m not an idiot, but I appreciate the things I learn from the kind folks on here.
obviously it was only fan and not related to Operator error ( afterall you have spent countless hours staring at a stove that wasn’t hooked up , add to that your extensive experience of operating this stove for almost 7 days ) don’t pay any attention to the several hundred years combined experience people who have responded have

Last edited by a moderator:
obviously it was only fan and not related to Operator error ( afterall you have spent countless hours staring at a stove that wasn’t hooked up , add to that your extensive experience of operating this stove for almost 7 days ) don’t pay any attention to the several hundred years combined experience people who have responded have
You’re funny.