The great splitting maul debate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I like my Fiskars x27 as well, but ive been thinking of buying a new maul for a while now. Love seeing the pics in this thread. I only split by hand now for fun on occasion, my trusty Troy Bilt from 06 does almost all the work. Still sometimes it’s nice to split and not have to listen to an engine.

10 years splitting 70 cord 8 pound 36 inch fiberglass handle yardworks. Made by estwing? I split on the ground or right on the pile but usually on a 6 inch think round. It's split everything I swing at currently ash of course. Hickory elm sugar maple. Fresh cut wet and frozen splits best. Splitting is my favorite part. Due to overstrikes maul is at the end of its life. Never been sharpened

20211119_115415.jpg 20211119_115332.jpg 20211119_115313.jpg

I use my fiskars for everything. Ten times better than any other splitting axe I've ever owned. If it won't crack it I bring out my home made solid steel maul. Probably weighs in between 25 to 35 pounds. It'll make your hands bleed. But that with a wedge or 2 is just about unstopable

IMG_20211125_100645184.jpg

I love my Wilton bash maul it is a little heavier but you can strike wedges with it and it has an industructable handle. I have tried to break it. I have hand split my whole life and it is by far the best that I have used.

Perhaps I’m doing it wrong?
I use this very dull old school basic maul that is the lightest one available in this shape that I have found (6lbs or maybe less). The key is the Curved wood Axe handle, And an extra handle or 2 as I can get a bit sloppy sometimes and electrical tape doesn’t really cut it, This boy has been thru 50+ cords maybe 100? Been using it for 40years. And it goes thru monster oak. Follow the natural cracks!
4D24B4A2-D8BD-460E-BB52-B9B896DE8163.jpeg E55BB2E4-9427-49FF-AB24-C16DE842601D.jpeg 9B2AB436-1CD3-47FB-B794-0D0416098EFD.jpeg
309C1EC4-C92C-40BF-893B-D75FA0C9EF8B.jpeg

Last edited:
So I never knew who made this maul, thought it was maybe a true temper, until today when my wife said rub some flour on it. Discovered it’s a craftsman. If you ever see one like this at a garage sale I recommend pick it up.

61F7C9CC-67F0-4277-885B-8AF56B5F22AF.jpeg

Reactions: heavy hammer
I don’t own a maul. Seems like a lot of work to swing a heavy a$$ axe. For giant rounds that I can’t or don’t want to lift I will noodle them into manageable pieces. Then use either the hydro splitter or a 3# felling axe. Once the wood makes it to the garage wood rack I use one of my GB axes to adjust splits or make kindling as needed. The small splitting axe is great for this chore. I also like swinging the small forest axe or the Scandinavian forest axe for kindling. Maybe one day I will get a nice vintage maul just because I’m an axe nerd.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Questioning all the good reviews of the x27. Got one for Christmas. It is no where near as good as a fiberglass handle 8lb maul. X27 sticks in the wood pain. X27 is too light. Can't split bigger wood as fast pain. Nasty vibration in the handle completely unacceptable. They need to stop selling this model until it is revised. Will trade for maul se wi. Sorry guys are you splitting 3 inch rounds only with it. How can you use the thing let alone like it. Junk. Don't waste your money fiskars suck

I have split 24" dia oak, maple, cherry, and pine with my x27. For me it works way better than the 8 lbs maul. Not some small wood. Real big logs.

Are you starting the splitting at the sides of the big logs? (Starting in the center is harder and can get it stuck.)

On the other hand, I recognize that this exercise is "tool+human body", and even if the tool is the same, the body is not. That could lead to cases where the two don't work well together.

For a splitting axe I just have some Husky wood handled thing I got at home depot. Works well enough for stuff that isn't too big.

I also have a couple splitting wedges and a heavy maul I just use as a hammer. Some of the rounds I've had to split were 30 inches across and I can't imagine splitting the bigger round without them.

I am so old school that I used a Monster Maul for many years. I tried the Fiskars several years ago and I love it! I am wacking 24 inch oak drums with one stroke with the Fiskars. I had to put my beloved Monster Maul on the bench. Y'all who don't like the Fiskars, I don't know what to say to you.
oodGfis (1).jpg

Have also split big rounds with my X27. Love it.
Use what you like.

personally i do use an 8 lb trouper maul with a slight curve at the base of the handle which for whatever reason i really love ..... i did have some 4lb michigan headed splitting axe but the head came off the handles so i use em as an improptu wedge

So I never knew who made this maul, thought it was maybe a true temper, until today when my wife said rub some flour on it. Discovered it’s a craftsman. If you ever see one like this at a garage sale I recommend pick it up.

View attachment 286612
I was in a Sears store some years ago (obviously), and the guy in front of me at the tool register was exchanging two(!) 8lb mauls with splintered handles from massive overstrikes. By the looks of the paint on the heads, it's possible that neither one successfully split a piece of wood in the short time they were outside of the store. To this day I remember him, and I think about how much fun it would be to be completely shameless!

I use them all- Fiskars splitting axe, a couple of 6lb. mauls, steel wedges (I have 4),
and a couple of sledge hammers to use on the wedges. I own the little 5 ton
electric splitter, mine is the Sears version, and it has held up very well for around
10 years or so. The electric splitter is amazingly capable. I've used rental gas
splitters courtesy of a neighbor, and they are indeed impressive. But I seem to
get by just fine with my electric.

I have to say that, for the great variety of wood types I split, I'd be lost without
my steel wedges. They are needed to get the big rounds down to where I can
move them around for further splitting. About half my wood is Red Oak, but also
plenty of Cherry and odds and ends. Recently I was given about a half cord of
Apple rounds. I'm not proud, I'll burn Tulip Poplar and Maple and a bunch of
other types too. Even the dreaded Pine. Heh! (Southern White Pine)

I think it comes down to the right tool for the job. I enjoy using all the above
splitting tools, and also various axes and hatchets etc. Nice to have choices.
I sort of let the wood types tell me what they need.