The little Jotul 602B that could.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fire Water

Oct 19, 2019
Buffalo WY
I have to brag about the Jotul 602B I bought off of EBay for $175.00. Rebuilt it this past summer bought new burn plates as well. I am burning old growth spruce and some very nice very dry ponderosa mixed with aspen. We have and will have some pretty cold temps daytime today -15, -17 and night time -24 . Although the 602 is a room heater in a few hours it will make my entire house 83 degrees. I have natural gas boiler/hot water heat as well . I start running the stove when I get up to give the boiler a break during the coldest part of the day. I get the house to 83-85 and burn up what’s in the stove and close it up. My house will stay warm until late afternoon if I’m not going in and out. This is the only stove Ive ever had I can light with a match and it takes right off, the little Jotul that could.

4D3A040E-4733-49B2-B07E-4F8600853C4B.jpeg 63476CD3-55FF-4DEA-94E6-8BC718B5104B.jpeg

Reactions: MR. GLO
Nice! glad its working out for you..

Hard to beat a 602, keep the burn plates in them and they just keep running.

I just fired up the F602 in the greenhouse. First time in 5 yrs or so. It is such an easy stove to run. The greenhouse went from 35º to 55º in a couple of hours. The only issue is that it is not a clean burner. It's painful to look at the smoke coming from the chimney.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I know with my wood and sub zero temps 24/7 for the past few days had me running the stove with more air and a heavier wood load for the first few hours. I was getting poor performance until I opened up the air,the super cold air outside must be a factor.

I have to brag about the Jotul 602B I bought off of EBay for $175.00. Rebuilt it this past summer bought new burn plates as well. I am burning old growth spruce and some very nice very dry ponderosa mixed with aspen. We have and will have some pretty cold temps daytime today -15, -17 and night time -24 . Although the 602 is a room heater in a few hours it will make my entire house 83 degrees. I have natural gas boiler/hot water heat as well . I start running the stove when I get up to give the boiler a break during the coldest part of the day. I get the house to 83-85 and burn up what’s in the stove and close it up. My house will stay warm until late afternoon if I’m not going in and out. This is the only stove Ive ever had I can light with a match and it takes right off, the little Jotul that could.

View attachment 274269 View attachment 274270
If I sat in that chair with the stove going it would be nap time.

If you really want to be impressed, keep an eye out for its big brother, the Jotul 606. As long as you have dry wood, they put out a lot more heat with the same amount of wood with the same footprint.

Reactions: theora55
If you really want to be impressed, keep an eye out for its big brother, the Jotul 606. As long as you have dry wood, they put out a lot more heat with the same amount of wood with the same footprint.
The Jotul 121 was a big beast too.

That is a very nice looking setup you have there.

I know pictures can be misleading, but that wood rack looks awfully close to the stove. I looked up the manual for hhe 602B and it shows a clearance to combustables on the sides of 32".

That is a very nice looking setup you have there.

I know pictures can be misleading, but that wood rack looks awfully close to the stove. I looked up the manual for hhe 602B and it shows a clearance to combustables on the sides of 32".
You're correct. The rear clearance doesn't look right either unless there are no wood studs behind the stone veneer wall which offers no clearance reduction. Clearances for 602B are 28" min to a rear wall, if vented from the back. If vented from the top, 24" min. From a side to a wall, clearance is 32" min.

They dont call the 602 “the little giant” for nothing! That stove will put out a ton of heat, and rebuilding it is a breeze once you do it one time.

I just fired up the F602 in the greenhouse. First time in 5 yrs or so. It is such an easy stove to run. The greenhouse went from 35º to 55º in a couple of hours. The only issue is that it is not a clean burner. It's painful to look at the smoke coming from the chimney.
I really find this smoke issue hard to believe. Don’t take that wrong, please. I’m not insinuating I don’t believe you or they you may be lying. What I mean is it doesn’t make sense to me.

Even with my old smoke dragon stove and 6” stove pipe going into an 8”x8” clay liner chimney, once the stove was hot or even within 5 minutes after a re-load of wood that stove would not smoke; nothing but heat waves coming out of the chimney. I didn’t even own a moisture meter at that time. No doubt it spewed plenty of particulates a person couldn’t see, but there was no visible smoke, just heat waves.

Perhaps the reason my stove/chimney never smoked was because my wood was better seasoned than yours. Most of that wood was under a shed for about 10 years or more. I really think that wood seasoned much longer than even a moisture meter says is fine and burn might help that little 602 burn smoke free.

Heck, my old wood stove, you can’t find a worse design than it. It has tubes going from the back of the firebox through the top of the stove and these carry cool room air through those tubes and are continually cooling the inside of the firebox. Those tubes heating up and exiting and exhausting hot air out into the room, working very similarly to many Lopi stove models.

Would be interesting to see how the 602 burns wood 5-10 year old splits and small rounds.

Fully seasoned wood. It was in a box in the greenhouse for a couple of years. And the greenhouse gets hot in the summer. The difference is that with the greenhouse I can watch the stack all the time which I normally couldn't do when the stove was in the house. After the volatiles had burned off there were only heat waves.

Ok. Fair enough.
However, having worked my share in a very large professional greenhouse growing operation I can tell you that is a very moist environment to keep wood. More often than not the humidity inside a greenhouse is high, not only by design, but on purpose often because the plants require it and if nothing else simply by watering plants inside. Often times all through the year in early morning and evening condensation gathers in the plastic or glass. If they get dry inside it becomes near impossible to keep the plants watered properly. There are instances where humidity should be low and could support storing wood, but they are few. Still, your situation could been just that I suppose, especially if the greenhouse was empty and no watering taking place. Then it’s a perfect place to dry wood.

Anyway, it sounds as if you got the same results as me and my old stove, heat waves from your chimney, which is ideal and what we want. I just thought by your post that the stove smoked throughout the entire burn cycle.

If I’m not mistaken I believe that little 602 model has been the most popular selling stove in history.

The stove is installed correctly , lots of assumptions, 4” of masonry behind the rock. It ‘s over done if anything . All the stuff on hearth is gone, I was doing base boards when the picture was taken. Well seasoned spruce and fir I can burn big chunks and they burn good with a good bed of coals.

Ok. Fair enough.
However, having worked my share in a very large professional greenhouse growing operation I can tell you that is a very moist environment to keep wood. More often than not the humidity inside a greenhouse is high, not only by design, but on purpose often because the plants require it and if nothing else simply by watering plants inside. Often times all through the year in early morning and evening condensation gathers in the plastic or glass. If they get dry inside it becomes near impossible to keep the plants watered properly. There are instances where humidity should be low and could support storing wood, but they are few. Still, your situation could been just that I suppose, especially if the greenhouse was empty and no watering taking place. Then it’s a perfect place to dry wood.

Anyway, it sounds as if you got the same results as me and my old stove, heat waves from your chimney, which is ideal and what we want. I just thought by your post that the stove smoked throughout the entire burn cycle.

If I’m not mistaken I believe that little 602 model has been the most popular selling stove in history.
No watering except for a lemon and olive tree. There's a dehumidier in there running in the winter too.