The old smoke dragon is finally installed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott, very nice job! What did you use for brick in the floor? Is it brick verneer or did you reframe from below. It appears your wood and brick are flush.

No lie-- I registered tonight specifically so I could comment about how incredible this setup is. Congrats on the results of your hard work!

Thanks LMBittick, Thats an honor!!!

Scott, very nice job! What did you use for brick in the floor? Is it brick verneer or did you reframe from below. It appears your wood and brick are flush.

Its an addition. Steel beams over the foundation walls, then metal pan with an 8 Inch concrete slab poured over the metal pan full of re bar. Then full thickness bricks set on the 8 inch slab. Wood framing abuts and bolts to the slab under the hardwood floor. A major project . No combustibles behind or below the brick.

ScottF said:
Well after 6 months of working every single night until late and every weekend day the addtion is finally done and the smoke dragon is installed. Just a few more connections until I can fire her up and let her belch. I had to put an addtion on the house. I went as far as putting steel beams in the 1st floor with an 8 inch concrete slab over the basement full of steel rebar with brick over that. All the back walls are layers of 4 inch block with air spaces between each layer so completely non combustible. I did every bit of work myself including , sitework, basement foundation and floor, masonry, framing, roofing, siding and trim, interior trim, drywall, painting, finish work, hardwood floorring, stove work, masonry chimney etc. After many thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours I am complete. Here is the finish photos of the old dragon. I even built all the furniture for the new room but thats another story. No secondary burn tubes and no catalitic action. She was built in the 1890s. we just restored her. I dont expect modern stove performance but I do expect lots of heat. I have plenty of wood Whew!!

Very majestic looking stove and hearth.. A true centerpiececonversation piece central to any home! You did a fantastic job on your project..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.