The Regency CI2600 & CI2700 operation thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Regency allows 6" and 5.5" as well as any liner with equivalent volume.

5.5" might be ok. Is this a basement or 1st floor install?
1st floor

@bholler - yes, I read that and was just wondering if there is an advantage to one size or the other. In theory 5.5" should be a bit cheaper than 6" (less material) but is there an advantage to having a 6" I'm not aware of? 20% more volume in the flu - less resistance, etc? I know a few people in this thread have had draft issues and just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Sounds like it will be ok then.

1st floor

@bholler - yes, I read that and was just wondering if there is an advantage to one size or the other. In theory 5.5" should be a bit cheaper than 6" (less material) but is there an advantage to having a 6" I'm not aware of? 20% more volume in the flu - less resistance, etc? I know a few people in this thread have had draft issues and just want to make sure I'm not missing something.
5.5 costs more than 6

Hi,

I recently had an Hi500/Ci2700 installed and just began to use it a couple of days ago.

I'm only getting a 4 hour burn time. That is from the time the stove is packed, the bypass is closed and the damper is set to 0%, it's only 4 hours before the cat time drops back below 500 and there is little left in the stove.

Does this seem right? Here is the timeline and details.

Equipment

Regency Ci2700/Hi500
chimney dimensions 18 feet by 6 inches
chimney location: interior
1/4 inch foil blank kit (I guess this wraps the liner?)

Fuel: 1.5 to 2.5 year seasoned hardwood (oak, maple, cherry, black birch)

Timeline

t = 0

STARTING STATE
2 inch coal and ash bed
cat temp: 130
add 15 1 inch splits
add 2 fuel logs
open bypass
adjust damper to 100%
leave door slightly ajar

t=3

torch splits (I'm impatient)
flames begin

t=5

cat temp: 275
close door

t=15

cat temp: 1060
close bypass

t=16

cat temp: 1200
adjust damper to 0%

t=26

cat temp 986

t=31

cat temp 700
add 4 fuel logs
stove is packed
adjust damper to 100%
bypass open

t=36

cat temp 611

t=38

cat temp 606 (minimum temp)

t=42

cat temp 650
close bypass

t=44

cat temp 1000
adjust damper to 0%

t=44

START BURN TIME
cat temp 1000
stove packed with fuel logs
bypass closed
damper 0%

t=49

cat temp 1325

t=54

cat temp 1362 (maximum temp)

t=56

cat temp 1304
blower auto on

t=1:21

1 hour 21 minutes
cat temp 1143

t=2:00

2 hours since stove lit
1:16 since burn time start
cat temp 1056

t=3:00

3 hour mark
cat temp 664

t=4:00

4 hour mark
cat temp 558
stove 15-20% full?
Nothing resembling a log remains

t=4:35

cat temp 500
bed of coals

t=4:44

BURN TIME END
4:00 hours since burn time start
cat temp 481
3 inch bed of coals

Thanks for any info!

That's not too far off from normal. Cat temp 481 after 4 hours isn't horrific. Go inside the firebox, there is a metal hood in the bottom center, closest to the door. Loosen (not remove) the 2 bolts, and see if there is a small metal plate that you can pull up and out. If there is no metal plate at all, you can remove the metal hood to be 100% sure. If you truly don't have the metal plate, then contact your dealer for one. 2600's didn't have it at first, and then later on got them. It reduces the air. I'd say this is worth verifying.

Reactions: CollnsBrook
That's not too far off from normal. Cat temp 481 after 4 hours isn't horrific. Go inside the firebox, there is a metal hood in the bottom center, closest to the door. Loosen (not remove) the 2 bolts, and see if there is a small metal plate that you can pull up and out. If there is no metal plate at all, you can remove the metal hood to be 100% sure. If you truly don't have the metal plate, then contact your dealer for one. 2600's didn't have it at first, and then later on got them. It reduces the air. I'd say this is worth verifying.
Thanks very much for the advise! I'll check it out.

Hey guys. I have the i2700. What should be my operating temp? What is to hot for these inserts to be working at? I have a Digital thermostat. I just want to make sure I’m operating safely.

Hey guys. I have the i2700. What should be my operating temp? What is to hot for these inserts to be working at? I have a Digital thermostat. I just want to make sure I’m operating safely.
Is the digital thermometer on the cat or the flue? If on the cat, the temp range will be from 500º to 1600º. Close the bypass when the cat gets above 500º.

PSA regarding glass cleaning:
After bi weekly cleaning of the glass on my CI2700, the paint began to peel on surround due to this spray cleaner
Amazon product ASIN B005ZFNKPM
I contacted the place I bought the stove from and they recommended I paint it. I would likely just happen again. Switched to a Rutland paste type product, fingers crossed.

Dang. Says corrosive and poisonous right on the label. Rutland's Hearth & Glass cleaner is a good product. A bottle will last many years.

I assume everyone here uses this insert non stop to heat the house. What do you use to remove the ash/coal when it’s hot. Not trying to remove the hot coal but I’m sure some will get picked up when cleaning the ashes.

I move the coals aside with this. Then I scoop the ashes.

Screenshot_20211228-070317.png

I'm only getting a 4 hour burn time. That is from the time the stove is packed, the bypass is closed and the damper is set to 0%, it's only 4 hours before the cat time drops back below 500 and there is little left in the stove.
I think this is below-average performance for this stove.

I have the HI500, same as you. Unfortunately it's installed in a small family room where we do most of our TV watching. I never pack the stove to get maximum burn time because it would sweat me out of that room.

But... with bypass closed and damper at 0%, I regularly get~3hr burn time (sometimes 3.5hrs) out of two large splits of firewood. My stove is nowhere near full and I'm getting almost as much burn time as your packed stove. Just thought I'd share another data point.

I have some really cold days coming up Mon and Tue and I'll be working from home this week. I'll be in the house but not hanging out in the stove room, so I plan to pack my stove full a few times to see how long of a burn I can get. I'll follow-up with my results.

If I put 4 bit splits in the box (east-west because they won't fit north-south), this gives me 5hr of burn time. By "big" I mean I can only fit these 4 in the box. There is still some room right in front of the glass, so I'm sure there's another hour or two of burn time to be had by loading the box more fully with shorter splits going north-south.

Once the stove gets down to ~700F, it's not providing a lot of heat to the room anymore. So the drop from 700 to 500 does let the room cool down significantly. Honestly I'm not really finding this to be an efficient use of the stove. If I put just 2 splits in at a time, they very often burn for 3hrs or more. Also the drop from 700F to 500F happens in a shorter amount of time, so it seems like there's less no-heat time in the room, or at least less of an impact from the cyclical nature of wood burning.

Reactions: fussen
Hi wood burners. Happy new year, I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe! It's been a while since I was last on the forum so I have some catching up to do but I do have a couple of questions I'm hoping some one can answer.

I have a couple of seasons usage now on a CI2600 and I'm fairly happy with it's performance and appearance but I have a catalyst question. I know Regency recommends not closing the catalyst bypass until the fire temp has reached 500°F or more but is there a low end temp. (below 500) at which the bypass should be opened. The reason I ask is that frequently morning temps. can be 350-450 or even below. Will temps below 500 damage the catalyst?

Last, how often do you all clean your chimney?

Thanks in advance for any responses and if any other information is necessary please let me know.

PS: As I said, it's been a while since I've been on here so I'm not sure I'm posting this properly so sorry for any improper posting!

Hi wood burners. Happy new year, I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe! It's been a while since I was last on the forum so I have some catching up to do but I do have a couple of questions I'm hoping some one can answer.

I have a couple of seasons usage now on a CI2600 and I'm fairly happy with it's performance and appearance but I have a catalyst question. I know Regency recommends not closing the catalyst bypass until the fire temp has reached 500°F or more but is there a low end temp. (below 500) at which the bypass should be opened. The reason I ask is that frequently morning temps. can be 350-450 or even below. Will temps below 500 damage the catalyst?

Last, how often do you all clean your chimney?

Thanks in advance for any responses and if any other information is necessary please let me know.

PS: As I said, it's been a while since I've been on here so I'm not sure I'm posting this properly so sorry for any improper posting!
No need to worry about the cat as the fire is dying down. The fire is all coals by that point and the coals burns very clean, so no need to worry about any soot build-up on the cat. Just close the bypass above 500F and you can leave it closed.

You should definitely open the bypass if you open the door to refuel. That inrush of cold air when the door opens is not good for the cat (the rapid temperature change can crack it).

Clean your chimney once per year. I have mine cleaned in spring (Apr or May) because those guys get really busy in late summer and in the fall.

Reactions: stoveliker
As above: coaling stage does not really need the cat. Letting a fire die with the cat engaged is fine.

I use a soot eater mid season and have an end of season sweep by a prof (because my insurance likes that).

As above: coaling stage does not really need the cat. Letting a fire die with the cat engaged is fine.

I use a soot eater mid season and have an end of season sweep by a prof (because my insurance likes that).
No need to worry about the cat as the fire is dying down. The fire is all coals by that point and the coals burns very clean, so no need to worry about any soot build-up on the cat. Just close the bypass above 500F and you can leave it closed.

You should definitely open the bypass if you open the door to refuel. That inrush of cold air when the door opens is not good for the cat (the rapid temperature change can crack it).

Clean your chimney once per year. I have mine cleaned in spring (Apr or May) because those guys get really busy in late summer and in the fall.

Thank you both very much for your input, very helpful. So I'll not worry so much about the temp., but I will definitely get the chimney cleaned!

An excellent idea stovekiller on using a soot eater, would never have crossed my mind. But do you use the rotary brush to manually clean it or do you use a creosote burning log, or both? Do you think the logs are ok to use? Hope so as most of what I've read on creosote burning logs seems to indicate they are fairly safe and effective for periodic use in wood burning stoves. And at my age getting on the roof to manually clean the chimney ain't gonna' happen!

Thanks.

Creosote logs should not be used in cat stoves - according to my manufacturer.

The soot eater can be done from the bottom up. Disconnect the stove pipe, tape a bag on the bottom of the chimney with a hole in it for the rod (and stick the first one with the brush in the bag before taping), then use your drill and feed additional rods.

I'm not going up my 2.5 stories with the chimney on an outside wall and solar panels leaving only a small strip at the edge to walk on...

See e.g. here

Do you think the logs are ok to use?
In my experience they aren't necessary. Once a year cleaning is all that's required. The cat (if working and used properly) does a really good job of keeping the chimney creosote-free.

In fact, my chimney sweeper last year was surprised when I told him I keep a fire every day in the winter. He thought I hadn't used the stove much because the chimney wasn't very dirty.

Creosote logs should not be used in cat stoves - according to my manufacturer.

The soot eater can be done from the bottom up. Disconnect the stove pipe, tape a bag on the bottom of the chimney with a hole in it for the rod (and stick the first one with the brush in the bag before taping), then use your drill and feed additional rods.

I'm not going up my 2.5 stories with the chimney on an outside wall and solar panels leaving only a small strip at the edge to walk on...

See e.g. here

Your roof/chimney setup sounds way more precarious than mine so can't say as I'd blame you there. Thank you for the video and that, however, was enough! I think I'll be going with JRF on this one, professional cleaning only!

Thank you both again very much for the responses.

Hello Again,
My less than 3 month old CI2700 has developed a new problem and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same themselves. Two mornings ago I had trouble getting the stove going, weak draft and lot’s of smoke coming into the room. I came home from work and the glass was as extremely black. I thought at first it was due to ash build up in the box blocking the draft port, so I proceeded to clean all but about an inch of ash out of the box.
This morning, same problem, no draft and I came home to glass even blacker than the day before. I then decided to get a shop vac and try sucking out the draft port. Same result, no draft, huge smoke buildup in the box. I am new to the whole wood insert thing but what would cause it to be functioning fine one day and not the next?

Hello Again,
My less than 3 month old CI2700 has developed a new problem and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same themselves. Two mornings ago I had trouble getting the stove going, weak draft and lot’s of smoke coming into the room. I came home from work and the glass was as extremely black. I thought at first it was due to ash build up in the box blocking the draft port, so I proceeded to clean all but about an inch of ash out of the box.
This morning, same problem, no draft and I came home to glass even blacker than the day before. I then decided to get a shop vac and try sucking out the draft port. Same result, no draft, huge smoke buildup in the box. I am new to the whole wood insert thing but what would cause it to be functioning fine one day and not the next?
Any chance your chimney is blocked? Bird or squirrel made a nest?