The verdict is in!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Garbanzo62

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2022
Connecticut
Without an actual woodshed to store my wood in, I am left to stacking on Pallets and top covering. I can get pallets for free, but the top covers can get expensive. This past winter, I tried using Dollar Store Shower Curtains. They measure 72 X 70 in. so they can easily cover a Standard Pallet. Four Months later, They have all stood up. I have a single pin hole in one curtain that was from a nail sticking out of a board. Since you can get 7 from under $10, even if I only get 6 months of use it is still a relatively inexpensive option.

Without an actual woodshed to store my wood in, I am left to stacking on Pallets and top covering. I can get pallets for free, but the top covers can get expensive. This past winter, I tried using Dollar Store Shower Curtains. They measure 72 X 70 in. so they can easily cover a Standard Pallet. Four Months later, They have all stood up. I have a single pin hole in one curtain that was from a nail sticking out of a board. Since you can get 7 from under $10, even if I only get 6 months of use it is still a relatively inexpensive option.
You wouldn't think they'd have any UV protection, and the plastic would deteriorate quickly, but who knows?
I've lucked into a couple metal roofing/siding scrounges. You really need to weight them down, or screw them down to the top of the stack.
I'll need more sheets of it soon; I'm gonna stack a buttload of woot this summer..a veritable mountain! 🏔️😏

You wouldn't think they'd have any UV protection, and the plastic would deteriorate quickly, but who knows?
I've lucked into a couple metal roofing/siding scrounges. You really need to weight them down, or screw them down to the top of the stack.
I'll need more sheets of it soon; I'm gonna stack a buttload of woot this summer..a veritable mountain! 🏔️😏
Yeah one would think they would degrade. They may end up doing that , but for the cost, I'll just replace. My Brother in Law use to be a contractor and he has a bunch of rubber roofing membrane leftover. I'm going to grab some from him at some port

Yeah one would think they would degrade. They may end up doing that , but for the cost, I'll just replace. My Brother in Law use to be a contractor and he has a bunch of rubber roofing membrane leftover. I'm going to grab some from him at some port
Yeah, that would last forever. I think it's heavy, though. Maybe wouldn't blow off of stacks that are seasoning?
Might not want to have it on a stack you're pulling wood from in the middle of winter, wrestling that heavy stuff to reposition it.

In summer they'll likely disintegrate leaving horrible plastic bits around your property.

I use commercial tarps not expensive and work well. I fold them for more protection and only cover the top without much overhang. Worked great all winter. If they breakdown over time I will replace. Short money. Also bricks hanging with para cord draped over the stacks are easy to remove quickly and replace. I have 5 cords and each stack is dated for my rotation.

Wood sheds are great. Cost money, time to build if handy and having a prime location is also important. As I get older “time” is key. There is only so much of it. My firewood is a hobby but need time for family, gardening, fishing, hunting, camping, landscaping etc.

Wood sheds are great. Cost money, time to build if handy and having a prime location is also important. As I get older “time” is key. There is only so much of it. My firewood is a hobby but need time for family, gardening, fishing, hunting, camping, landscaping etc.
I've started thinking about adding a shed to the mix, but I'll still have outside stacks as well..I've been five years ahead at times, and there's no way I'm building a shed that big!
Firewood's a hobby for me as well, and I'm helping out family members. Sure ain't burning wood to save money, after buying saws, quad, etc. 😏 I'll have a bit more time once I retire...or maybe not. I'll still be working all the time, I'll just use the extra time to reduce the number of things I'm behind on at home. Or maybe I'll just waste more time posting on internet forums, haven't decided yet. 😆

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildflush
I really don't have a good location for a wood shed. If I was going to spend the time and money to build a shed it would be to hold my lawn and garden tools. The only potential spot for either one of those is on my side yard which is wet a lot of the time. I probably got close to a quarter acre of wetlands and that area is only a few inches above that grade.