thermoelectric fans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Charles2

Feeling the Heat
Jun 22, 2014
GA
I'd like to get up to speed on thermoelectric fans: How they work, how long they last, whether they are worth their cost, which to buy, which to avoid, etc.

I'm not a connoisseur, but I got a $30 cheapie off Amazon this year and it works very well so far.

As for how it works, it's a $1 toy fan motor connected to a $10 TEG module inside of a big heat sink. Hot side goes on the stove, voltage goes up, fan turns.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_generator

If it dies, there's only 3 things to check (TEG, motor, wiring)- so repairs would be trivial, although replacing the TEG could cost you a significant fraction of the price of a new fan.

Caveat emptor on teg modules: Many sellers don't know the difference between a TEG and a Peltier (and some advertise their products as being both), so do your homework before buying.

Is it even worth having? In shoulder season, I'd say yes. If your stove has a blower, you will probably be switching to the blower when it gets cold- the tegfan moves a fraction of the air that an AC blower does on low. I would say that if you have a stove without a blower, yes you should get one and run it all season. If you do have a blower, you will probably find limited use for the little fan once winter sets in.

Last edited:
I have the smallest (100 cfm max) of the Ecofan brand made by Caframo, it certainly helps to encourage the naturally occuring convected air flow between two rooms through an archway. They are available up to 175cfm and also for lower temperature gas stoves. Two year warranty and repair kits are available. Made in Canada so they must be good (We melt all that snow every year).

I have two of the 175 cfm models for when the power goes out, but they do not move as much air as the blowers on the stove.

I have two of the 175 cfm models for when the power goes out, but they do not move as much air as the blowers on the stove.
Yeah, I have one of the 175 cfm (air max) eco-fan models and plan to get a second this season. I agree that the insert fan will move the air throughout my house more efficiently. However, I bought the air max eco-fan to try in a power outage and we ended up losing power during a big winter storm last season. So I put it to use and was fairly impressed with how well it worked. I was able to keep the downstairs of my house around 68 and it was pretty cold (about 30) and windy during the storm. I also got some experience running my insert without the internal fan and noticed that it clearly runs hotter without it.

So I decided to buy a second 175 cfm eco-fan for this season for power outages...I think having two of them running on top of my insert will do pretty well with moving the air around my house. My home is an open Center Hall Colonial with the insert sitting right in the middle of the main living room area. So it's fairly easy for heat to move from the living room area to other parts of the house. I know many posters say the eco-fans don't move the air like the insert fan and they're right...but I think in a power outage they definitely help a lot and certainly are better than nothing!

However, I bought the air max eco-fan to try in a power outage and we ended up losing power during a big winter storm last season

I have yet to have to use the Ecofans during an outage, but they definitely are better than nothing. I assume the HI300 has a cast top plate, do you remove it and set the fan directly on the firebox? I have done that with my Alderlea T5 insert and its moves much more air than just having it on the cast iron top plate.

How’s the Ashford working out so far?
I just fired it up for the first time yesterday this heating season. I adjusted the bypass door and checked the door gaskets and all is good. Filled it full of sassafras last night and the house is nice and toasty. Thanks again!

Reactions: webby3650
i have one on top of my jotul. don't expect to feel much air being moved. nothing like the blowers but as mentioned, it does move the air so it helps with the convection. worth it.....probably.

I have yet to have to use the Ecofans during an outage, but they definitely are better than nothing. I assume the HI300 has a cast top plate, do you remove it and set the fan directly on the firebox? I have done that with my Alderlea T5 insert and its moves much more air than just having it on the cast iron top plate.
Yes, the HI300 has a cast iron jacket and top plate. I have only placed the eco-fan on the top plate during the power outage but it was really spinning fast! I remember the insert cruising at about 600 degrees with a full load according to my magnetic thermometer. When I use the insert fan the HI300 only gets up to about 500 to 550 cruising temp with a full load. That's why I'm going to order another 175 cfm eco-fan next week, because I want to be ready for the next big winter storm and power outage this season:) Happy burnin!

Reactions: redktmrider