Thinking about running a slammer for a year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsopi

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2006
MD near DE&PA;
Just moved to a farmhouse that Im renting till my house is built. The new greatroom has a fireplace is @ 1000 ft
then thou door to about 2000 ft. It is cold. Im thinking about just running a slammer stove in the fireplace this winter. Any feedback.

Just moved to a farmhouse that Im renting till my house is built. The new greatroom has a fireplace is @ 1000 ft
then thou door to about 2000 ft. It is cold. Im thinking about just running a slammer stove in the fireplace this winter. Any feedback.

Been there & done that (many decades ago).
Please don't!
It is very dangerous, very unsafe, very apt to have a chimney fire & possibly burn the place down. It is just not worth the risk.

What do you want people to say? You know it's wrong but it has been done. Burn it hot and check the chimney often.

As a Minister of Fire you should know better. Besides that, burning your own house down is bad, but somebody else's?

Last edited:
What's the owner of the house say?

Not code legal anymore. If you were the landlord would you want your tenant doing this?

It used to be common but so was buying dynamite at the hardware store. There is a reason the rules were changed. It is a dangerous venture for several reasons, of which I suspect you are aware of. Please don't.

In my volunteer firemen days, I can't even count how many house fires we went to because of this.

Not worth it. Go buy a space heater.

Reactions: webby3650
If you spend $500 on a liner and throw it away next year, you ought to save at least that much in oil/gas/electricity in one year. (I think I save that in one month in the winter...). As a fringe benefit, you can have it as warm as you like at no additional cost. :)

Maybe you can even pull the liner out and use it for your barn/shop/garage next year.

I believe you could get a section of 6" liner for $500.
That link didnt work for me but is that a kit with all of the required adapters caps and plates? Does it include the insulation?

That link didnt work for me but is that a kit with all of the required adapters caps and plates? Does it include the insulation?

Yeah, I borked up the link, fixed now.

It looks like it has a chimney cap, top plate/flashing, and for some reason a tee and a cap for the tee as well.

Not that I am recommending this particular kit, just saying that he could line the chimney for less money than he might pay to run the furnace.

Not that I am recommending this particular kit, just saying that he could line the chimney for less money than he might pay to run the furnace.
Yeah I know there are kits out there for that price but none of them include insulation

What is a slammer stove?

What is a slammer stove?
An insert just slid into a fireplace with no connection to the flue. They are dangerous and not to code.

An insert just slid into a fireplace with no connection to the flue. They are dangerous and not to code.
My co worker just did that with a buck 91, I tried to warn him but he aint listening

I used a slammer wood insert called country flame for many years. I ran it hot and only used seasoned wood. But, while I never had a chimney fire the hard tarry creosote glaze kept building up every year more and more to where I got scared and replaced it with a lopi freedom with 6 inch liner. Peace of mind plus to clean the flue with a slammer you got to pull it out enough to clean behind it when you clean the chimney, what a pain. One caveat, while the old slammer used more wood it put out way more heat keeping the house a lot warmer!!!!

I used a Blaze King Princess insert for more than 25 years to heat my house. Thousands (millions?) of stoves are installed like this. I know they are dangerous in 2016, but they were safe 30 years ago.

I know they are dangerous in 2016, but they were safe 30 years ago.

Smoking was once safe too. It also used to be in the electricians training manual in the 50s that the way to test for a hot wire was to touch it.

Point is times change and what we know as safe changes because we learn things that were once unknown.

Last edited:
So what in particular makes them unsafe? I saw in the other thread that they were no longer allowed after the 70's, mine was made/installed in 86. It worked well and drafted great. I agree that it did have to be pulled out to clean the chimney. I see all the time that they are in safe, just wondering why.

Status
Not open for further replies.