This look like three cords?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Must not spend time in any state parks then.
I think the park where I sail every weekend for half the year is a state park, and the one where I used to mountain bike is another, but I still never dealt with the DCNR.

Well... I did get yelled at by a guy on a ranger boat once, about ten years ago, for practicing capsizes as part of our US Sailing certified training. Maybe that counts!

For New Hampshire the price isnt bad, dont know why a state covered in woods would be expensive but it is.

I've spent a lot of time in NH. Worked there back in the 1970's when it was economically depressed. Things were real cheap. The factories were closing, oil price was high, and people were scared about the future.
Last time I was there 3 years ago there were new subdivisions, new roads, and new people. A lot of pressure on prices to rise up even more.
New Hampshire is getting gentrified. More private land is being taken out of the logging business.

Reactions: weatherguy
not once its all cut , split and stacked its not. It's like buying a box of cereal, after its all settled there's really only 3/4 ths of a box there

I've spent a lot of time in NH. Worked there back in the 1970's when it was economically depressed. Things were real cheap. The factories were closing, oil price was high, and people were scared about the future.
Last time I was there 3 years ago there were new subdivisions, new roads, and new people. A lot of pressure on prices to rise up even more.
New Hampshire is getting gentrified. More private land is being taken out of the logging business.

Depends where you lived in NH. Once the tech boom happened in Boston, taxes in Mass shifted a lot of development into southern NH. Yes there was logging in central and southern NH but the major logging was north of the white mountains. The seventies and early eighties was still boom time for the paper industry up north but the end was coming. There was a papermill in Gilman VT, two papermills and a pulpmill in Groveton and the big pulp and papermill complex in Berlin Gorham. I was there for the end of it and there is now just a small struggling papermill in Gorham that survives month to month. The other big drive for a loss of logging is that a major forest land owner in the region kicked off the big sell of industrial forest lands to investors that fragmented the big lots. This has been going on for thirty years. The state and US government has stepped in somewhat and have grabbed some land, some of it is now in National Wildlife Refuges and permanently protected from logging. The remaining areas are under various timber easements but without the mills buying the volume, logging has slowed down. There is also a lot of softwood stands that remain in active forestry but far less hardwood so less low grade logs for firewood.

Realistically the driver fro pricing in the area is if someone figures out what they need to earn to buy, process and deliver wood, they need the going rate of $225 to $250 or they find something else to do

Reactions: weatherguy
Red maple, birch and cherry all season quite a bit faster than oak. Are decent BTU. I don't know why you'd throw shade on them.

We were getting loads of dead standing red oak delivered and it was being delivered with a 4 axle dump. 3 - 4 cords

Last edited:
This is a 40 yard container about 80% full. Got this and another 30 yard container that was full delivered for $120, wood was free from my logger buddies. Nothing but red & white oak, plus hickory. I figured this was about 7 cord total.

2wdqaev.jpg

f4pwux.jpg

2zspro1.jpg

11udt9i.jpg

2uiygat.jpg

This is a 40 yard container about 80% full. Got this and another 30 yard container that was full delivered for $120, wood was free from my logger buddies. Nothing but red & white oak, plus hickory. I figured this was about 7 cord total.
I think you have some good buddies

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
Looks like wood from a tree service but definitely beer should be included in the transcation

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
Hmm. Not the best deal.

It all depends on what your time is worth, if you are a high earner, put in a few extra hours and save yourself the hassle. If you struggle to pay for heat, go for it, unless you have no place to scrounge.

Looks like wood from a tree service but definitely beer should be included in the transcation

They are loggers and this is refuse known as "log cut offs". Defective or crotches from large logs. Pretty tough to handle but nothing but Red & White oak with occasional hickory, and cherry.

They don't drink but really LIKE my Honeycrisp apples. I bring them a couple bushels at a crack.

aeve9t.jpg

9sgsab.jpg

2n708zd.jpg

k9cjyq.jpg

Well I've been getting the run around again. The guy delivering the grapple never showed. Because it's nearly April, I've decided to just order processed green wood from a supplier I know is reputable. I'm kinda getting tired of cold calling people on craigslist. Not exactly Ideal given the price is $250/cord split and delivered green but I need to get things drying for next winter.

Looks like for the time being I'm going to be left to my own devices harvesting wood. I still have 3 acres left on my property to thin. However it being mostly sugar maple, I'm hesitant to take them out as I cook down the sap for syrup. I made a mention to my sister and surprisingly shes going to let me clear her 2+ acres mostly red oak and hard/soft maple. She want's it all gone so I'll be starting that project next weekend. When all said and done it seems promising that I'll actually be ahead on wood by summer time by about 2 or 3 years.

Reactions: kvesi122