This old house says no pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I remember sitting around a campfire once in upper state NY with some folks from the pacific northwest. They saw the hardwood we were throwing in the fire and commented that they would be making furniture out of what we were burning.

Reactions: Gearhead660
LOL. The same Bob Villa who got busted in Back Bay for working without a building permit. That Bob???

Norm lives in town down here and is a friendly enough guy.

Matt Foti has done a lot of work for me and he takes a Christmas tree off the old tree farm here for his home town center.

I met Roger once at a nursery. My God what an arrogant ^%$@$&. When I mentioned it to Matt one day he was shocked to hear it says that is very not typical of him.

I've heard nightmares about Rich the plumber.

The old barn in Concord that they converted couldn't get any closer to the road. It might be 1.5 cars deep. The house in Carlisle they did is right on one of the busiest streets in town but you would never know either fact from watching the show.

I think its pronounced "Bahhston". Not Boston

Reactions: ispinwool
The famous Lehman's Hardware is not far from here...they have an ad running on one of the local radio stations warning of the dangers of burning woods that cause creosote...like Pine.
Makes me wanna call the store and....well, better just bite my tongue...

This Old House is a half hour infomercial.

I haven't watched new TOH's for some time but there was a time when they brought a lot of new tech to the home building/remodeling scene.

First saw plenty of new products that are now common there years ago (e.g. Pex, engineered lumber). They advocated upgrading insulation and efficient HVAC many many years ago. No we take it for granted, but for a long time they were ahead of the curve.

Reactions: Ashful
I haven't watched new TOH's for some time but there was a time when they brought a lot of new tech to the home building/remodeling scene.

First saw plenty of new products that are now common there years ago (e.g. Pex, engineered lumber). They advocated upgrading insulation and efficient HVAC many many years ago. No we take it for granted, but for a long time they were ahead of the curve.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, reading all the posts of TOH bashing. I haven’t watched it much since the late 1990’s, but it was a pretty good show, back then.

Reactions: bholler
It was a pretty good show years ago but there is lot less action and lot more selling these days.

Reactions: Ashful
It would be of much greater service to the public if they expounded on the value of fully seasoned wood.
Might sway some people but most of the old time wood burners Ive talked to about dry wood was like talking to a wall, I remember explaining how the new stoves work and why you need dry wood to my brother in law one night and after I was done he says"but wet wood last longer, you burn to fast through dry wood" ahh madonne, I gave up.

Might sway some people but most of the old time wood burners Ive talked to about dry wood was like talking to a wall, I remember explaining how the new stoves work and why you need dry wood to my brother in law one night and after I was done he says"but wet wood last longer, you burn to fast through dry wood" ahh madonne, I gave up.
Yes it does last longer, no heat but it last longer. I may try some to temper down a hot summers heat with a leaky door to keep it from overheating.

Oh to pine or not to pine, i opine!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: ispinwool
The problem with normal people burning pine is how they season it if at all. I burn a lot of pine from trees we had taken down. It dries quickly if stacked off the ground and totally covered. However, if left exposed of even top covered where the rain rolls off the sides, it won’t dry and can actually absorb a ton of water.

I’m in the TOH region and I do get funny looks when I tell people that I burn pine, but I’m fine with the funny looks.

Reactions: EbS-P
I live in a milder climate and 60% of the wood I have been burning is softwood. I have stumbled on a bunch of hardwoods that I am mixing in, but I don't mind burning the softwood. Prefer it to some degree but as mentioned, no one wants the softwoods so I am,able to scrounge a lot of wood.

In the UK smokeless coal is anthracite powder mixed with molasses and formed into little nuggets.

Bituminous house coal was only available in , and could only be delivered to non-smoke free zones anyway so it hasn't been available in about half the country for a while.