This weekend's wood gettin'.....who's in?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2011-12-04111146.jpg
So I started around 9 am, just did some messing around until my ol' lady was ready. When she came out, we took the quad back into the woods and started cutting away. Total rounds for the day well over 100, all between 8" and 16". I don't have a wagon for the quad yet, so we load the front and rear racks, and made well over 10 trips total.

Sorry, I have to post multiple threads to upload more than 1 photo.
2011-12-04112841.jpg

I knew it was just a matter of time before pictures started showing up on this thread,
I shouldn't even click on it.
Just jealous :)
youns are having way too much fun.
PS, you might be able to drag the logs with the ATV & get more per trip to the truck. I drag some pretty big ones
Pics before snow closed my access:

Attachments

• 100_6727.jpg
    100_6727.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 198
  • 100_6767.jpg
    100_6767.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 191
This stuff that is split is stuff we cut that were leanin' no bark, off the ground and no punk. Bone dry. Split and ready for this years burn!
2011-12-04151654.jpg

bogydave said:
I knew it was just a matter of time before pictures started showing up on this thread,
I shouldn't even click on it.
Just jealous :)
youns are having way too much fun.
PS, you might be able to drag the logs with the ATV & get more per trip to the truck. I drag some pretty big ones
Pics before snow closed my access:
thats something I should have thought to do.would be alittle tight back there, but some areas would be ok

By clearing the trail a bit, my son and I took ride pretty deep back in the woods, and we found the mother load. Looks like my back will be hurting again next saturday too. :sick:

Gees eh, you guys have some serious wood.....um, maybe I should re-phrase that. I got my scrounge split and stacked today that I cut yesterday - about a face cord or so.

Backwoods said:
All done today. All day. How much is a face cord?

Not again :grrr:
Roughly 1/3 of a cord +/- depending on length of splits. No definite cubic feet measure.
one row of splits/rounds 4' high X 8' long
How wood is measure in some states.

I think :)

Woody Stover said:
Cascade Failure said:
I still have about a dozen oaks to finish from Irene. I hope to c/s/s at least half of them this morning.
Six trees processed and stacked before noon? You are going to appear to observers as just a blur! :lol:

Notice I said finish...I tend to work during the week as circumstances and desire dictate.

2 were already cut up but not split, 1 was split but not hauled to the pile, and 2 of the remaining 3 weren't that big. I split and stacked the first two before some out of state family showed up unexpectedly. The remaining four still haven't been touched.

You should see my work shop. I have a dozen projects I could finish this week if didn't start 3 m...look a squirrel!

Backwoods said:
Aaahhh, the weekend is here. So who's planning on going out for some wood? Saturday, I got quite a bit of running around to do, but sunday my ol' lady and I are planning on taking the quad into the woods and cutting up quite a few trees that are down, bark falling off, and mostly off the ground. I'll be cuttin and she'll be haulin. Then I'll be splittin, and she'll be stackin. Shes great like that. So I'll post pics, cause ya'll love pics, and hopefully ya'll will too. ;-)

Friday December 9th, I will be splitting & stacking some Sugar Maple,Yellow Birch and some Cherry. Saturday will be spent getting more downed Cherry from back in the Woodlands out.

Sunday will be a day of hauling rounds out in the old green truck, might grab a dead standing tree without any bark on Sunday which is close to the trail.

zap

I'll be going out again on saturday, after finding a good supply out back. Hopefully will get a cord outta the way. Everyday its getting colder and the weekend lows will be in the teens.

Chimney linin' for me.... I cannot wait and neither can the bluedogz cuz they're chilly.

Saturday: Cutting, bucking and hauling wood . . . even convinced a good friend of mine (those of you at the Woodstock Open House met Aaron -- he was the one who looked like he was learing at Gamma . . . I think he was just eye balling her beer though) to help me since he enjoys running his chainsaw.

Sunday: Going to prison.

Hope to cut Saturday and split Sunday. Bucked and hauled a bunch of beech last weekend, and hope to finish some red maple, hemlock, and drop/buck some red oak this Saturday. Splitting sounds fun for Sunday - I want to make a bunch of hemock and red maple kindling (~ 2" square) for next year, so I'd like to get it split now. If we have another shoulder season like this next year, the extra kindling will be nice - a lot of cold starts this year and a lot of burning in mild temps - nice to have a lot of dry small stuff to warm the flue with a nice hot fire. Cheers!

firefighterjake said:
Saturday: Cutting, bucking and hauling wood . . . even convinced a good friend of mine (those of you at the Woodstock Open House met Aaron -- he was the one who looked like he was learing at Gamma . . . I think he was just eye balling her beer though) to help me since he enjoys running his chainsaw.

To return the one that was learing at Gamma? :lol:

I've been travelling for work all week. Nothing like sitting in meetings and sitting on planes all week to work up a wood cutting appetite. I'm off tomorrow and will spend my morning in the woods. Going to start work on a monster hedge tree...should be a couple cord or more in the one tree. Can't wait.

Headed out Saturday morning - weather in Va looks like it'll be perfect for cutting wood. Got some oak and black locust calling my name.

We have some oak to get in, hopefully so much we'll leave the cutting and splitting to next week.

That's my favourite type of work backlog ;-)

ohio woodburner said:
firefighterjake said:

To return the one that was learing at Gamma? :lol:

Nah . . . to my knowledge he was never in prison . . . good lawyer I guess.

lukem said:
Going to start work on a monster hedge tree...should be a couple cord or more in the one tree.
Two cords?! That's a virtual Hedgezilla! Don't forget your camera. :cheese:
I saw a couple of big ones behind my MIL's house, on another property. Don't think they're two-corders though.

Status
Not open for further replies.