This weekend's wood gettin'.....who's in?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

Aaahhh, the weekend is here. So who's planning on going out for some wood? Saturday, I got quite a bit of running around to do, but sunday my ol' lady and I are planning on taking the quad into the woods and cutting up quite a few trees that are down, bark falling off, and mostly off the ground. I'll be cuttin and she'll be haulin. Then I'll be splittin, and she'll be stackin. Shes great like that. So I'll post pics, cause ya'll love pics, and hopefully ya'll will too. ;-)

OK Get ER Done

Rain mixed with snow this weekend here.
I'll pass on this one.
Have fun, be safe ;)

working all weekend

Wasatch said:
After the major wind event we had I am hoping to get out and scrounge something.
i saw that on the news. Freaking crazy!

Snow tomorrow morning....planning on going early and making snow angels in between scrounging

Supposed to be good weather Saturday here in West Michigan.

Spotted some black walnut at the city forestry yard.

Gonna try to be there first thing, I'll try to take some pics.

Everybody have a safe and productive day.

Backwoods said:
Aaahhh, the weekend is here. So who's planning on going out for some wood? Saturday, I got quite a bit of running around to do, but sunday my ol' lady and I are planning on taking the quad into the woods and cutting up quite a few trees that are down, bark falling off, and mostly off the ground. I'll be cuttin and she'll be haulin. Then I'll be splittin, and she'll be stackin. Shes great like that. So I'll post pics, cause ya'll love pics, and hopefully ya'll will too. ;-)

Dealing with a hung up tree on Saturday and a couple of trees in the same area across the trail. It's Hemlock so if it's big enough we will save it for milling if not I'll buck it up for shoulder season wood for next fall.

zap

zapny said:
Backwoods said:

Dealing with a hung up tree on Saturday and a couple of trees in the same area across the trail. It's Hemlock so if it's big enough we will save it for milling if not I'll buck it up for shoulder season wood for next fall.

zap

It wouldnt be Saturday if you didnt cut some wood Zap :lol:

It looks like it'll be a nice weekend here. I have some wood to buck and split. I'd like to find something new to cut but probably won't have time - my yard is still full of leaves and its already time to put up the Christmas lights.

Sounds like some of you guys get a truck load or two here and there year round?

Myself I just dedicate a few days each year and haul in the wood I will need and get it all taken care of then. I'd rather not mess around with wood in teh winter other than burning it, and doing firewood is about number 100 on my "funs things to do" list.

weatherguy said:
zapny said:
Backwoods said:

zap

It wouldnt be Saturday if you didnt cut some wood Zap :lol:

Your correct, seems since we bought the property thats all I've done, finding this site made it alot worse but it sure beats paying for oil. :zip:

GIBIR

Hopefully Sunday; tomorrow is all Christmas parties.

Must remember to pack my camera today. Been working on a rather large ash tree last weekend over the thanksgiving break.managed to get through all the branches down to the trunk,so today is slice ,dice and quarter the trunk into manageable pieces. I should be able to get through it today. Have a safe and productive weekend.

I plan on scrounging the last 2 or 3 cord of 3 year seasoned stuff I need from the heap to fill the burn shed. Moving it that last 75 feet and getting it under a roof makes winter a lot more pleasant.

NATE379 said:
Sounds like some of you guys get a truck load or two here and there year round?

Myself I just dedicate a few days each year and haul in the wood I will need and get it all taken care of then. I'd rather not mess around with wood in teh winter other than burning it, and doing firewood is about number 100 on my "funs things to do" list.

I understand your point but for me I enjoy the firewood work. Desk job fills too many of my hours and I really look forward to being outside and active. Just yesterday one of my sons friends stopped at the house, stove was running and we got into a conversation about it. He said my son told him "Dad is either golfing of working on the firewood". Yup, thats me. Squeaking in a late season round of golf today and will be splitting and stacking tomorrow. Fun weekend for me!

Cascade Failure said:
I still have about a dozen oaks to finish from Irene. I hope to c/s/s at least half of them this morning.
Six trees processed and stacked before noon? You are going to appear to observers as just a blur! :lol:

Yesterday, I bucked and hauled up the bottom half of a down 13" DBH Red Elm. A few of the lower rounds have a little punk but it's mostly solid wood. Today I'm going to try to finish up a score I've been working on which should total about two cords of BL.

Well in about 12 hours from now I'll be out cuttin. Can't wait.

Today, I just finished splitting and stacking the two truck loads of oak I cut in November. The wood is getting a little mold on it, from all the moisture here in the Pacific Northwest. I won't cover it, or it really will be a mold factory. This is the beginnings of my 2013-2014 wood.

I'm focusing on splitting and stacking what I already scrounged. I may be up to 11, maybe 12, cords right now. As much as I enjoy scrounging, I may be far enough ahead - burn 2-3 a year - to ease up a bit. Second year burning, and it was a lot of hard work to get this far ahead, but it's worth it.

Oregon Bigfoot said:
Today, I just finished splitting and stacking the two truck loads of oak I cut in November. The wood is getting a little mold on it, from all the moisture here in the Pacific Northwest. I won't cover it, or it really will be a mold factory. This is the beginnings of my 2013-2014 wood.

The oak I scrounged over the summer that hasnt been split has mold on it too, Im in the northeast, I guess mold loves oak.

ChocoLab said:
I'm focusing on splitting and stacking what I already scrounged. I may be up to 11, maybe 12, cords right now. As much as I enjoy scrounging, I may be far enough ahead - burn 2-3 a year - to ease up a bit. Second year burning, and it was a lot of hard work to get this far ahead, but it's worth it.

Now you can go on "cruise control." Only need to get 1 year at a time now :)
Feels pretty good , eh?

Dangit - done run out of sources for BTU's and tomorrow looks like wood weather! Will have to clean & sharpen the saws and make some calls.....

Status
Not open for further replies.