Thoughts on my latest slab wood purchase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cornflakes

Burning Hunk
Sep 19, 2014
Maryland
All said and done after sorting and processing out the junk and bark, I ended up with 176 cu. ft of oak slab wood. A former co-worker sells it for $125 a trailer load and delivers at no extra cost.

Is $125 good for this amount of slabwood? I already told him I’d take a 2nd load.

Attachments

• D0FDE6B4-8388-4E07-ACA1-2FEC09AF886D.jpeg
    D0FDE6B4-8388-4E07-ACA1-2FEC09AF886D.jpeg
    201.1 KB · Views: 310
  • CD99BA5D-A05F-473D-A2B5-7E4750316DD5.jpeg
    CD99BA5D-A05F-473D-A2B5-7E4750316DD5.jpeg
    367.9 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Ive had red oak rot when i double stacked with no space between the rows....bad thing is you wont know until 2 years later when you go to burn it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

got 4 rolls mixed at apx 2k# ea last fall for 80/ea. delivered ( 3.14xradius xradius)x length works out to apx 201cubic ft per roll so less the junk about a cord volume wise each. 2 of the rolls I have cross stacked then I had to get the other 2 out of the way so just piled up on some pallets . 4ft dia rolls 4 ft long. time to bring the crossed stacked stuff in and run them through the bandsaw for length. just toss the slab wood down the bilko doors to the basement as that is where the bandsaw is. Have to do the same with some of the splits as well 17-18" works well front to back in the NC30. leaves a little gap in front and behind ( need the front gap for the dog house.)

Ive had red oak rot when i double stacked with no space between the rows....bad thing is you wont know until 2 years later when you go to burn it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hmmm, maybe I’ll restack it and leave a space in the middle.

Reactions: TedyOH
Hmmm, maybe I’ll restack it and leave a space in the middle.
If its ready and your going to burn it this season I would leave it alone

If its ready and your going to burn it this season I would leave it alone

It’s not quite ready. It will very likely be burned next season. I’m behind on my wood collections... I used to be 2 years ahead, but life got busy and we just recently had a baby girl, so still getting used to the 3 kid dynamic. No time for wood obsessing.

Local guy sells slab wood picked up in 8 foot bed stacked high as you want (or feel safe with) for $40.

I did 1 load last year sorting through his stack to get a lot of big chunks. It was backbreaking work, but I
think my deal might have been a little better $$$ wise. I ended up with about .78 cord for $40

Local guy sells slab wood picked up in 8 foot bed stacked high as you want (or feel safe with) for $40.

I did 1 load last year sorting through his stack to get a lot of big chunks. It was backbreaking work, but I
think my deal might have been a little better $$$ wise. I ended up with about .78 cord for $40

Do you mean a local guy at a mill? Pretty sure the guy who sells to me gets his either for free in the lon strips or a $5 charge per load from the mill. Regardless, I think I need to get a truck and trailer!

He is not at a mill. Not exactly sure where or how he gets them. I figured at that price I wasnt asking much.

But, the local mill does charge $8 for along bundle. A lot cheaper that way but it's a pain cutting up.

The slab wood guys are all 18" length.