Thoughts on Zero Clearance Chimney thru attic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MI Feller

Feb 9, 2010
Michigan
Renovating anyway and thought this might be a good time to upgrade from metalbestos. Just heard about this product today. Expensive: yes. Overkill: probably. Aside from those considerations, how good does this stuff perform? Thank You.

What stuff?? What's wrong with the Metalbestos to start with, age?

Nothing wrong. Great chimney for 30 years. Looks almost new inside. Will be ripping into roof during rennovation and also boxing chim for appearance. An opportune time to consider other upgrades and hence the query into a product I hadn't heard of before. Thanks. Have a good day.

You mention Metalbestos.. is that what you have? or what you want to upgrade to?

If you are wanting to remove an existing install of Metalbestos, what is the chimney you are considering?

Talked to a guy in the construction field recently about a renovation project and he insisted there's now a true zero-clearance metal chimney that can be placed up against combustibles, vrs the normal 2" setback for insulated chimney (but gave no name). Starting to think he may have been misinformed. If it exists it would be a hellova product.

Certain insulated liners instaled in Brick Chimneys can give you a zero clearance install in a renovation install - new construction installs look to me like they still need air space around the brick.. That is what I have - it allowed me to airseal the chimney chase and insulated my attic optimally. Haven't heard of any zero clearance metal chimneys - most need an insulation shield to keep insulation away from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.