Threat to urbad scroungers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisNJ

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Sep 25, 2009
Burlington County
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I've been wondering for a while why this hasn't been done before. And yes, if the idea takes off, it will make scrounging a little tougher. On the other hand though, what about all the smalls/shorts/crotches & uglies the mill doesn't want? Could make for some easy pickens'.

Interesting, but I think the bigger threat to supply is the trend toward ever bigger chippers, with the tree co's chipping larger & larger limbs/trunks.
At least milling would produce something out of the wood other than mulch that no-one wants.

Interesting, but I think the bigger threat to supply is the trend toward ever bigger chippers, with the tree co's chipping larger & larger limbs/trunks.
At least milling would produce something out of the wood other than mulch that no-one wants.

When they cleared the lot behind me, they chipped anything under 8" diameter, and things like cedar were chipped no matter how big they were.

When they cleared the lot behind me, they chipped anything under 8" diameter, and things like cedar were chipped no matter how big they were.
Hey Joful, I was going to click 'like' but I don't like that. I agree with you completely, but I don't like the thought of it. What a waste of good wood. I burn anything bigger than 2".

Reactions: Lewiston and ScotO
Well, maybe not. They agreed to leave me any wood that was not sawmill quality, which amounted to 11 trees for me. They said they simply couldn't deal with branch wood (time-wise), so they ground everything but the trunks on all trees felled. They took all cedars around 4" - 6" to use as fence posts (about 100 trees), and chipped the large cedars (maybe 100 more). They had offered to leave me some cedar, but I already have more than I know what to do with, since I'll only use cedar for kindling. I think there's a good market for cedar chips, so it won't go to waste.

Here's some photos of the event, I forgot to post on the original thread.

The machines in action:
IMG_0583.jpg

The resulting hole in my back yard (a house will go back there, when they sell the lot):
IMG_0596.jpg

The sawmill picking up the logs. This truck was loaded to the top of those stake sides when it pulled out.
IMG_0592.jpg

What they left for me:
IMG_0603.jpg IMG_0586.jpg IMG_0585.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.