Time required to split a cord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

neverbilly

Burning Hunk
Dec 27, 2015
Arkansas, USA
I am wanting current info on time per cord using a hydraulic splitter with single wedge is what I have. Or face cord, being one third cord. Cord being 4x4x8 ft. Just tossed into a pile not stacked.

I found an 8 yr old thread but nothing since. Everybody is splitting far faster than me and I have a 25 ton. I guess I am splitting too small, splits too narrow. As for length, I split 16”.

(My iPad lost the link to the old thread.)

I am inquiring about working alone. If you have a helper, please say so. Thanks. So…

1. how long to split cord or face cord tossed to a pile
2. split length
3. split size (tends to be small, average or large?)
4. alone or with helper

Last edited:
I stack as I split so my times won't be comparable. I always take performance numbers posted on the internet with a large grain of salt. Not that people are outright lying but like gamblers who "win more than they lose", people tend to count the good parts and forget about the bad parts.

My splitting speed depends quite a bit on the wood I'm splitting- how straight it is, how easy that species is to split, how much is rotten. Rotten stuff goes on the rotten pile and doesn't help fill up the wood bin. If there's much of that it really slows down production.

I have been trying to get a mix of split sizes, mostly largish 3-4" or more with some small for starting fires. Too much small stuff and the stove gets too hot. You need to do what works for you and your stove.

Cycle time is going to vary by spitter. Some have faster strokes than others and many have two speed pumps with two different stroke speeds. So there is probably a calculated minimum assuming you can get the split wood thrown in the pile while cycling back and a new piece in place at the point where the back cycle if complete. If the splitter encounters a load increase and the pump switches to the higher pressure lower speed stroke that lengthens the theoretical fastest cycle time.

The other big issue is number of splits per round. A helper is factor of the operator is unable to unload the split and have fresh round ready t drop in place once the cylinder is cycled back far enough.

Depends on ambition, age, and cycle time of splitter. Somewhere back about 8-9 years ago, you'll find a thread from me that was my high water mark, something like 4.5 cords per day on an Iron and Oak 3.5" fast cycle splitter. It was a rented splitter, and I had a lot of wood to plow thru, so I was just splitting and tossing into a pile, moving the splitter away from the pile as worked.

At the time I remember others saying they average a cord per day, and now I have my own splitter, I'm pretty much in that camp as well. One cord seems to be a good amount to get done in one day, if you're bucking and stacking all in one operation. More could be done, I proved that to myself before, but it sure is hard on the mind and body.

i have a iron and oak 30 ton vertical/horizontal splitter, my 2 kids and i (12 year old and 10 year old) split 7 cords all in the vertical position throughout 2 days putting in 8 hours the first day and 6 hours the second day. the wood was a mix of ash, poplar, white pine, elm and maple most of the rounds got split into 6 pieces each. all the wood was previously bucked to length. 14hours/7 cords=1/2 cord per hour,

a week earlier with the same crew from log to stacked we split one full cord horizontally but it was all white pine, so it really matters what kind of wood your splitting.

To me, there is no set time it depends on what I am splitting
good straight grain hardwood splits fast and I don't split too small
it goes into a furnace so what will fit in the door is go to go.
Now wood like American Elm from fence rows takes work to split
maybe 3 to 4 times longer.
It takes however long it takes. If you are worried about the time
buy your wood already split and save that time for whatever

The way I split I can split about 1.25 full cord an hour.

Here's a video I shot last spring. May make some sick, as I have my GoPro attached to my head and my head does not sit very still. It's a hair under 15 minutes long. Starts with me starting the splitter cold, letting it warm up some, splitting a full trailers worth (1/4 full cord), yelling at the dogs to stop barking at the neighbor, idling down the splitter while cleaning if off and then shutting the splitter down.

Started splitting at right about the 2 minute mark and stopped splitting at the 14 minute mark with a full trailer.

1/4 full cord in 12 minutes........1.25 full cord/hour.

When I finished splitting/stacking that pile last spring, it totaled 11.3 full cord. Total Splitter runtime of 9 hours. Started with 6.8 on the hour meter, ended with 15.8, which comes out to 1 1/4 full cord an hour. It's done a 1/4 full cord at a time, like the video below shows. I basically split till my trailer's full, then shut the splitter off to stack.

Last edited:
I think this is where it’s important to specify a full cord (usually 3 face cords) versus a face cord (which about 75% of the people I talk to call a cord). If someone calls it a cord I assume they mean a face cord.

For instance splitting 5 facecords in a day doesn’t sound too bad, but splitting 5 full cords in a day seems like a lot to me. Maybe with a firewood processor it’s not. IDK.

I can split between 1-2 full cords in 8 hours depending on what type of wood it is. This is splitting wood between 16-18” long, and medium sized splits.
My splitter is old, home made, and very slow. Single wedge, and you have to hold the handle for the cylinder to return.

I think this is where it’s important to specify a full cord (usually 3 face cords) versus a face cord (which about 75% of the people I talk to call a cord). If someone calls it a cord I assume they mean a face cord.

For instance splitting 5 facecords in a day doesn’t sound too bad, but splitting 5 full cords in a day seems like a lot to me. Maybe with a firewood processor it’s not. IDK.

I can split between 1-2 full cords in 8 hours depending on what type of wood it is. This is splitting wood between 16-18” long, and medium sized splits.
My splitter is old, home made, and very slow. Single wedge, and you have to hold the handle for the cylinder to return.

In the OP I specified a cord as the primary question. And described it as 4x4x8. And mentioned that if someone wants to use face cord as the quantity, that’s fine but say so, and that there are 3 face cords in a cord. If somebody says cord and means face cord, I don’t get it. A cord is a cord and a face cord is 1/3 of that!

People splitting something like 5 cords in an 8 hr day, I also don’t get that If they have a ‘normal’ single wedge splitter and not some high output splitter. Not getting anything close to 5 cords/day and I’m not wasting any time! Getting 1-2 cords in a day done. Tossed into a pile.

Splitting larger splits is the only change I could see to improve that. Of course, knots slow you down and I try to minimize rounds having knots but some are inevitable. This is almost all red oak.

Reactions: sloeffle
In the OP I specified a cord as the primary question. And described it as 4x4x8. And mentioned that if someone wants to use face cord as the quantity, that’s fine but say so, and that there are 3 face cords in a cord. If somebody says cord and means face cord, I don’t get it. A cord is a cord and a face cord is 1/3 of that!

People splitting something like 5 cords in an 8 hr day, I also don’t get that If they have a ‘normal’ single wedge splitter and not some high output splitter. Not getting anything close to 5 cords/day and I’m not wasting any time! Getting 1-2 cords in a day done. Tossed into a pile.

Splitting larger splits is the only change I could see to improve that. Of course, knots slow you down and I try to minimize rounds having knots but some are inevitable. This is almost all red oak.
I’m doing the same 1-2 full cords per day as you.
I just mentioned the face cord thing because so far people replying are just using cords, and it sounds like they mean face cords. Either that or they can split a massive amount of firewood in one day.

Reactions: neverbilly
The way I split I can split about 1.25 full cord an hour.

Here's a video I shot last spring. May make some sick, as I have my GoPro attached to my head and my head does not sit very still. It's a hair under 15 minutes long. Starts with me starting the splitter cold, letting it warm up some, splitting a full trailers worth (1/4 full cord), yelling at the dogs to stop barking at the neighbor, idling down the splitter while cleaning if off and then shutting the splitter down.

Started splitting at right about the 2 minute mark and stopped splitting at the 14 minute mark with a full trailer.

1/4 full cord in 12 minutes........1.25 full cord/hour.

When I finished splitting/stacking that pile last spring, it totaled 11.3 full cord. Total Splitter runtime of 9 hours. Started with 6.8 on the hour meter, ended with 15.8, which comes out to 1 1/4 full cord an hour. It's done a 1/4 full cord at a time, like the video below shows. I basically split till my trailer's full, then shut the splitter off to stack.

You def make larger average splits than me but what are the trailer dimensions, please? TIA

edit: I went back n looked at your trailer. Rather than dimensions do you know exact model? You think that is 1/4 cord, a cord being 4x4x8? Just wanting confirmation. You def splitting fast. Nice, fast splitter, what is it? Your wood also wa s splitting super easy. Impressive output regardless. love ur dogs.

Last edited:
You def make larger average splits than me but what are the trailer dimensions, please? TIA

edit: I went back n looked at your trailer. Rather than dimensions do you know exact model? You think that is 1/4 cord, a cord being 4x4x8? Just wanting confirmation. You def splitting fast. Nice, fast splitter, what is it? Your wood also wa s splitting super easy. Impressive output regardless. love ur dogs.

Larger splits AND cutting my lengths longer than average makes a difference. I cut mine 20-22" in length.

The trailer in a Polar HD1500. When I figured out the 1/4 cord thing, it's from keeping tracking of how many trailer loads it took to do X amount of stacked cords. Much more accurate than trying to figure it out based on one single load. I also heap that trailer pretty good as well.

I also used the total cordage split/stacked from that winter's haul and divided that by the time the splitter was running to split it. Both agree with each other. I dump the oil on my splitter every spring after I'm done splitting my winter's haul and keep track of the run hours in a spreadsheet. Makes it easy to compute the cord/hr seeing I also keep track of my winter hauls.

The splitter is just a TSC branded Countyline 40 ton. Here is the screenshot from my spreadsheet for it, as I bought it in fall of '20. I did some mods to it and played with it before I actually began splitting that pile of wood in spring of '21.

The numbers are what they are. LOL

1646311661606.png

This is my previous splitter over the previous 4 years prior, it was a bit slower 28 ton Speeco.

1646311747315.png

@JRHAWK9 that is impressive. Hope you don’t mind questions.

Is that red maple at the start?

I see you are splitting some wood already split. Curious why you didn’t split it all the way the first time. Do you think that is more efficient? Eager to learn.

What mods done? I have that splitter in 25 ton, looks very similar. I think mine is supposed to have 11 sec cycle time, which is pretty good. Do you know yours?

Good job!

Is that red maple at the start?

Could very well be, we do have some maples around here and I do have a sprinkling of them in my stacks.

I see you are splitting some wood already split. Curious why you didn’t split it all the way the first time. Do you think that is more efficient? Eager to learn.

I do that because it's easier for me to halve/quarter the bigger rounds in the woods by hand to be able to more easily lift them into my trailer to haul out of the woods and throw them into my pile.

What mods done? I have that splitter in 25 ton, looks very similar. I think mine is supposed to have 11 sec cycle time, which is pretty good. Do you know yours?

I changed the factory metal to metal coupler to a "lovejoy" style with a poly spider. I added a pressure gauge and I swapped out the OEM filter housing/filter to a larger one which has a rated flow capacity of the pump. I also added a couple adhesive temp strips to be able to monitor surface temps of the filter housing and ram. Mine is rated at 9.5sec. Although when I time it it's a hair under that. I believe my old 28 ton Speeco was rated at 12sec, which was good back when I bought it. The only reason I wanted to upgrade is for the cycle time. I don't need a 40 ton splitter. LOL Although the beam height on this one is a bit taller than my old Speeco, so that's a plus for me as well. I ended up getting the 40 ton for a steal.....I actually sold my 10 year old Speeco for more than I paid for the 40 ton brand new.

Last edited:
Splits almost 2’ long will definitely let you get to a full cord faster. Basically 2 face cords of that is a full cord.

I’d cut my wood longer, but it would make it harder for my wife and kids to move it. Last year my wife ran the wood splitter while I did other stuff.

If I’m splitting stuff like ash I’ll use a splitting axe. I’m a bit faster with that than my Hyd splitter.

By myself - Iron & oak 20 ton fast cycle - 2 cords a day (5hrs work) usually 1 cord though, because the splitter runs out of gas, I go into the garage to get the can and have to pass the refrigerator that is full of beer.
If I work to bust my butt I can do a full cord of 16-20" diameter logs in about 1 hr, but I dont like working like that anymore, I hurt my back a few years ago and it set me back for 3 months, after that episode I'm a slow and steady kind of guy with preservation in mind, why lift a round up when I can put 5 rounds into my tractor bucket and lift, if no tractor bucket is available then half the logs with the x27 or with the splitter in vertical mode. Since my injury I've totally re-thought how I do firewood and couldnt be happier.

Reactions: all night moe
I dont like working like that anymore, I hurt my back a few years ago and it set me back for 3 months, after that episode I'm a slow and steady kind of guy with preservation in mind
Since my injury I've totally re-thought how I do firewood and couldnt be happier.
Ding, ding, ding .........

That's the strangest take on the whole "cord vs face cord" debate, that I've ever seen. When someone says "cord", I assume they mean "cord", as in 128 cubic feet. When someone says "face cord", I assume they mean "face cord", as in 32 sq.ft. of unknown volume.

People who routinely underestimate those with whom they're speaking are at a constant disadvantage.

50's &60's this weekend, kinda want to get outside with the X27 and bust some rounds up.

That's the strangest take on the whole "cord vs face cord" debate, that I've ever seen. When someone says "cord", I assume they mean "cord", as in 128 cubic feet. When someone says "face cord", I assume they mean "face cord", as in 32 sq.ft. of unknown volume.

People who routinely underestimate those with whom they're speaking are at a constant disadvantage.

I talk to a lot of people that call face cords “cords”. I understand people on this site are probably more educated about firewood that the average Joe though.

A lot of times its based on the quantity someone is talking about, to put it in context. If someone said to me they can process 8 cords in 8 hours I would assume they’re talking about face cords. Unless they have a firewood processor.

Obviously there are some examples where this is possible. Someone who is a very fast splitter. Or someone splitting 24” long pieces etc. But I would bet most people can’t process that fast. No one I know can at least. Not by themselves.

1. how long to split cord or face cord tossed to a pile ----- with my new used kinetic splitter = 20 minutes (maybe less). And my little 8-ton hydraulic 55 minutes
2. split length ----- around 18"
3. split size (tends to be small, average or large?) ---- average to large because I'm in no hurry for it to dry
4. alone or with helper ---- alone

I have this one, with a new Honda GX engine,

And I just got this one used. I cut some wet Siberian elm (about 1/2 cord) and only a few pieces required more than one hit. I'm sold. Now I have to sell the EZ split or a 22 ton hydraulic, hmmmm......

No normal person is going to out split a Super Splitter but a SS is not for that nasty stuff some of you like to deal with. I got better things to do than fight with some of that crap.
I never really raced myself on my SS but it’s pretty damn fast and I’ll never part with it if I’m still burning wood.

I really dont care how long it takes me to split a cord. Probably at a couple hours. Im not interested in how fast but the quality of what im splitting. My stove is medium-sized. I split to 18 inches. I take the time to split my wood square so I can fit a lot in my box. It's more important to me to have long burn times that split a core in under an hour. I split small medium and large. My box is a 2.3 cuft and I can get 12+house of burn time. I dont split all my wood square or rectangle, but the majority of it is. My splitter is a DHT 20 ton with an.11.sec cycle time.
To the OP, however long it takes you with decent equipment, that's what it is. Some people split all large and long lengths and can split a core in 20/30 minutes, but that may not be right for your stove and burning requirements

Reactions: stoveliker