Time to shut down?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gerry100

Minister of Fire
May 16, 2008
NY Capitol Region
Looking back, there's been a few years where I stopped burning on March 1.

Always done by the 20th.

With daytimes in the 50s and night temps above freezing it's just not efficient for me to have 500lbs of hot steel in the man cave.

We've got some cold coming in after 70F tomorrow so I'm not done yet but it looks like I'll have more than a 1/2 cord left in a week or so when I shut down.

What's everybody els edoing?

Reactions: Gboutdoors
I want to burn... But when Im seeing black snakes, ticks, and flies in feb... Its not being burnt. I barely dented this years wood, and 17/18's wood looks like its going to be mostly 18/19's wood. I guess its a good thing, I hurt my elbow and neck both so cutting and splitting has been light this year.

PS - blame it on me if your mad, I bought a new snow blade for the tractor and didnt even need to mount it once, less than 1" so far in DelMarVa.

Yeah, I'm usually done around mid-March or so, but who knows with this crazy year, could be done earlier or we could get bad weather late. But the stove has been getting a break lately with these warm temps, had him running last night as I don't want it to end just quite yet.

PS - blame it on me if your mad, I bought a new snow blade for the tractor and didnt even need to mount it once, less than 1" so far in DelMarVa.
After the thunderstorms that came through the other day, there are some parts of the DC suburbs that got more measurable hail than snow this winter. Crazy!

I figure on another month of burning . . . give or take a few weeks.

My season has been like yours still have just over a cord of wood left. But burn time is down to every few days lately as the temps have been above normal for a month now.

The house is new well insulated so it holds the heat well. Any days at 50 or above the stove is just to much so it's either very small fires or none at all.

66F later today and 24 hrs later it will be 19F. The weather here sucks. The roads are always either wet from snow and rain or wet from condensation from rapidly changing temps.

Still burning.

I'll be doing at least another month of intermittent burning. I've only had a fire twice in the past two weeks but it looks like winter will be back this weekend. Lows around zero and highs in the 20's.

Were pretty much done. I let the house cool down and make a fire every couple days. Havent had a constant burn now for some time. Kinda stinks as this is my first year with this stove and i was hoping to run it more. I have switched to cherry as the btu's arent as high as the oak but still down to a fire every 2 to 3 days. And i have like 11.5 cords left. I am thinking i am probably going to be doing a fire 2/3 times a week for the next couple weeks. I just bring myself to turn the heat on

We still have 3 months of full time burning and a month of part time. Amazing how short your burn seasons are.

I took a break and switched to the minisplit for about 10 days but looks like the boiler and storage has to brought back up for a cold stretch. Hopefully this will be the last run over the weekend and I can go back to the minisplit.

Last year it was cold here through April, and the old stone house is chilly until it stays consistently warm outside, so we burned through April. I expect about the same this year. Plus, there's the ambiance and dehumidification.

It's 70° and sunny today, forecast calls for the teens a few times in the next 10 days. Doesn't feel as bad when the ground isn't frozen a foot down, though.

It's in the mid 60s today in upstate NY but I just lit a fire anyway. By the time everything heats up to a good temp, I'll be glad I did. I plan to burn through the month as long as the nights still get relatively cold. I don't heat exclusively with wood though, so I like to burn when I get home around 4pm until bed time.

yo yo temps but no shut down here. 21 tonight mid teens next 2 nights with highs of mid 30's F. Last year I was still intermittently burning until June. ( just couldn't get my hand to flip the switch on NG furnace.)

So far, I think I've burned less than any other year at this date. It's been warn for weeks now. That said on these days above 40 I tend to use the heat instead starting fires and letting them burn out. But the burning season is not over. Some years I'm light evening fires until May.

I like someone who can take responsibility in this day and age. And, I know exactly what you mean. Both about being married and about the insurance policy you provided by being prepared. Well done.

Foot of snow today. Teens tonight with wind. Single digits coming the next few nights. I hope shoulder season starts in the next few weeks (LT forecast says dream on for at least two weeks) but expect to have some form of burning going on through May.

I have rootstock coming for my orchard at the end of next week. Winter. Must. Die!

Meanwhile, I have a 100% Beech fire going. Box is 2/3 full on 5 splits. The PH is cranking it out at 600 totally shut down. Such is the power of a wind aided draft, I suppose. Loving it, but with guilt as I don't want to be.

Reactions: pernox
The northeast is going to get cold in another week so get ready. I burn intermittently til may.

60 today, low of 2 on Saturday. Can't say that the end is near for us.

Last year was warm over all, but I remember cleaning out the boiler the weekend before our independence day party because we had just stopped using it. As long as I have wood to burn and hands to load it with, it's our only source of heat. Last time the oil furnace fired was during the home inspection three years ago. :)

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Last few days have been warm, so currently shut down. However single digits are coming back this weekend.

In the 60's and 70's here. Will probably burn into April because of; 1) The unpredictable weather; and 2) Wifey is 7 months pregnant. If it is 80 degrees & she wants a fire...she gets one. :) ;) :eek: :eek: ;) :)