Time to shut down?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
After the mega-mild Feb here in the SE corner of Lake Mi, it's back to 24/7 starting yesterday.
Been really weird cuz February brings the snowmobilers in droves for what's usually a foot or more
of snow that doesn't melt for weeks at a time. Big time lake effect snow with the prevailing wind outta
the NW from the pole and Alberta Clippers crossing our inland sea picking up gobs of water from
the lake on it's way south. This season has had the summer flow SW to NE and it's been t-shirt weather !!
Gettin' way ahead like many others on the wood supply.

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

Reactions: Gboutdoors
Well the old Aurora is back to cranking out the heat, at least for a couple of days that are supposed to now be below average....very, very strange weather, but he's eating logs again ! ;lol

Windy and cold now for a few days. I find 15 degrees and 20+mph wind really tries to suck the heat out of the house. The Quad is cooking away a load of ash and 10 year old cherry my neighbor found in her garage. I keep telling my wife....see if you let me keep a 10 year supply not just three years ahead it would be this easy to stoke all the time. She just kinda stares at me....

Windy and cold now for a few days. I find 15 degrees and 20+mph wind really tries to suck the heat out of the house. The Quad is cooking away a load of ash and 10 year old cherry my neighbor found in her garage. I keep telling my wife....see if you let me keep a 10 year supply not just three years ahead it would be this easy to stoke all the time. She just kinda stares at me....
I know the feeling! We're right there with you, buddy!

I started burning last night and looks like it will be 24/7 until sunday. Came home and put in some maple uglies on the coals from the pre work load this morning.

Still burning here, 32/16 today 24/6 for sat.

bob

To night Low -25::C wind-chill -38::C
Saturday Hi -14::C wind-chill-24::C
Saturday Night -31::C wind-chill -40::C
Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey
Still burning H E double L YES

fired up the stove yesterday around 4pm has been going non stop. house is at 75 now.
will be 15 tonight and 11 tomorrow night. so will easily go straight through sunday.

burning a mix of red oak and tulip poplar

Think I'll let the fire burn out tomorrow morning and give the chimney a quick sweep. 50's on mo.- tues. then back at it. The unofficial state motto of Michigan is '3 seasons in 3 days' for a reason.

I had 4 fires in February, and an patiently waiting for April and May storms

Woke up to low 30's with high around 50. Will have 20's overnight and upper 40's tomorrow.... Still burning :)

We normally burn through March and have the occasional "shoulder fire" in April....

Looking back, there's been a few years where I stopped burning on March 1.

Always done by the 20th.

With daytimes in the 50s and night temps above freezing it's just not efficient for me to have 500lbs of hot steel in the man cave.

We've got some cold coming in after 70F tomorrow so I'm not done yet but it looks like I'll have more than a 1/2 cord left in a week or so when I shut down.

What's everybody els edoing?
We had wind chill of 20 below and yesterday I burned more oak in 1 day than any other day this winter

We had wind chill of 20 below and yesterday I burned more oak in 1 day than any other day this winter

Same here except I broke a part of my clay flue on a clean out. So I was forced to shut down on the coldest day of the year. I repaired the flue today and its all put back together again. Got her purring with red oak again tonight. Maybe a couple days of warmer weather, then maybe a snow storm later in the week?

Really weird weather this season......

Just tinkering on the scroungemobile and there's frogs yakkin' here
in the middle of the night. There was ice on the pond a week ago,
60's a week before that, and now the ten-day is showing above freezing temps the whole forecast.
It's still blizzard season till the last of March/ first of April normally.

Brung in two totes just for mama's morning burn to take off the chill for daycare anyway.

We went from 70'S (record highs) to snow last week in a 24- hour period in Northeast Ohio. Burning intermittently for now, supplementing with a kerosene heater when we're home I it gets into the 50's..

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Really weird weather this season......
Yes. I'm a weather watcher as I work outside with my business. The local weather forecaster out where my dad lives in KC has a nationally renowned website/blog for a weather cycle he discovered. His name is Gary Lezak and his followers gave it the name Lezak Reoccurring Cycle or LRC. He says the cycle sets up every Oct/Nov and is around a 50 day cycle. He uses it to predict local and national weather weeks in advance. I have been following him for a couple years and found him to be VERY accurate on long term general forecasts. He predicted in Oct for a warmer than average winter, with above average precip for where I live (warm and dryer for KC). That has been dead on for me. However, he does make some bold local/regional geographic predictions that are flops semi regularly. The major freeze for me in mid feb was more like a major heat wave and he has predicted a warmer march and now the ten day for me is trending colder after our record heat feb 24th. I said all that because we had the same exact scenario in mid Nov, several weeks of record heat, then the bottom dropped out and the end of Nov and 3/4 of Dec was well below average. Same thing for mid Feb. Several weeks of well above average heat topped off with a record on the 24th and then the bottom dropped out and the forecast is now trending colder with snow! We had literally almost no snow in Feb and maybe burned 7-8 times. If the cycle holds true rest of march and some of april will dip well below. In other words, Lezak seems to have missed this part of the cycle, spring may be delayed and I'm back to loading up the basement with wood to burn. Not happy about it either. Shoulda listened to the groundhog. Sorry for the weather rant.

fullstove1.jpg
Not time to shut down here!!!
fullstove1.jpg

Same here except I broke a part of my clay flue on a clean out. So I was forced to shut down on the coldest day of the year. I repaired the flue today and its all put back together again. Got her purring with red oak again tonight. Maybe a couple days of warmer weather, then maybe a snow storm later in the week?
Sorry, couldn't help it but your post reminded me of that Ogden Nash poem...

A flea and a fly in a flue
Were imprisoned, so what could they do?
Said the fly, "let us flee!"
"Let us fly!" said the flea.
So they flew through a flaw in the flue.
<>

Reactions: Jay106n
SE Michigan here. Have a fire burning now because it's just a gross day. I went almost a full week without burning in February, that was odd. Looks like we're heading into another cooler period with 20's at night, and close to 40 during the day. Will probably go from 2 fires a day to one. I have natural gas now, so hearing the furnace come on doesn't cause PTSD anymore like it did with propane at 3.00 a gallon.

Nope . . . temps are still way too cold to stop burning.