Tin cloth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ok...
What are you actually looking for?

I'm looking for a recipe of wax, oil, and mineral spirits. Probably beeswax but microcrystaline wax seems to be gaining a foothold. Probably BLO, but I've seen tung oil used too.

I want to try to make my own tin cloth. I have some Carhartts ive stained up fairly bad,, but they still have lots of life, and am curious to see what tin cloth does.

I have been cutting (and handling rounds) rather sappy (live) pine lately. I can tell you that pine sap on synthetic cloth, once hardened, is perfect water repellent gear...

Nasty business tho.

do a search for oil cloth recipes. The 18th century reenacting crowd has a lot of info/suggestions. Be aware that the resultant cloth is typically extremely flammable.

Yeah, the flammable part has me nervous. Its something I'd want to do outside at the very least.

I’ve had a pair of the Filson double tins for the last 6 years. Great pants! They are still in perfect condition and I’ve put them through their paces cutting wood and hunting in some wet and nasty conditions.

I have a rain suit of British Wax Cloth made by Barbour. Have had it for about 15 years and it wears like iron. Have treated it once about 10 years ago using the Barbour brand they offer. Their dressing is not flammable. I have also used boot dubbin waterproofing on some Filson I have. That works well too

Reactions: MEngineer24
If I were to do it I would consider a cheap hot plate. Seems safer than an open flame. Or at least turn the flame off for a minute while you add the spirits in case any gets splashed. We all say we're careful but Murphy shows up occasionally and we stumble, spill stuff on us and our clothes and then your by an open flame. Just a thought.

I have a Sydney Oilskin Company duster. Applied Outback Trading Company Duck Back Dressing on a warm day last summer. I let the duster and dressing warm outside.